MTB rims that suit ONLY Presta valves? -

DoubleSpeeded

MTB rims that suit ONLY Presta valves? -

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:38 pm

Hi guys

ive just noticed my MTB rim only takes Presta as the schrader is too wide.

i dont think drilling it out a bit wider with a drill bit to suit a schader is a good idea.

now im limited to choices?

}SkOrPn--7

Re: MTB rims that suit ONLY Presta valves? -

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:42 pm

I drill out all my rims to suit schrader no issue just use drills in steps to you get to the hole size you need or buy a step drill for 20 clams.

Ricky

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:44 pm

DoubleSpeeded wrote: i dont think drilling it out a bit wider with a drill bit to suit a schader is a good idea.
Unless their carbon, why not?

... and by limited choices, you mean you can't use schrader valves tubes???... But it will be easier to go tubeless ;)

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:51 am

Just stick with Presta valves, they are better anyway. And if its about using a car compressor for a pump just grab an adaptor and leave it on as a valve cap.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:47 am

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:I drill out all my rims to suit schrader no issue just use drills in steps to you get to the hole size you need or buy a step drill for 20 clams.

Ricky
ozdavo wrote:
DoubleSpeeded wrote: i dont think drilling it out a bit wider with a drill bit to suit a schader is a good idea.
Unless their carbon, why not?

... and by limited choices, you mean you can't use schrader valves tubes???... But it will be easier to go tubeless ;)

right... yeh it is aluminium with Disc brakes...

ill keeo it in mind
however, srilling may impede the resale of the rim right?

bychosis wrote:Just stick with Presta valves, they are better anyway. And if its about using a car compressor for a pump just grab an adaptor and leave it on as a valve cap.
why makes you say they are better?
i have gotten used to presta valves by now as it seems that they are getting quite common...

i was just curious as i am out of 29" spare tubes (since i had a flat the other day)

and ive got one lying around in the garage but it had a schrader valve.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:25 pm

Just so you know, you can use 26" tubes on a 29er, they easily stretch and I've had no problems in about 12 months of use.

Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:39 pm

ozdavo wrote:Just so you know, you can use 26" tubes on a 29er, they easily stretch and I've had no problems in about 12 months of use.

yeh?! :shock:

didnt know that one

ill keep it in mind

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:35 pm

You do need to be super careful to avoid pinching the tube when you fit the tyre though. Having it stretched that tight around the rim makes it a lot more difficult to tuck inside the tyre properly.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:47 pm

Duck! wrote:You do need to be super careful to avoid pinching the tube when you fit the tyre though. Having it stretched that tight around the rim makes it a lot more difficult to tuck inside the tyre properly.
true

but obviously the most sensible thing is to purchase the right tube for the right application

but i guess what he meant was just in worse case scenario and desperately needed something

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:51 pm

That is correct.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:57 pm

Too easy you can buy adaptors http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Allow-Shrade ... 0805439933 I use rubber O-rings over 1000kms no problems. I used a 2.1 x 26 tube on a 26 x 2.35 tyre and it split at the seam about 6 months later.

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:08 pm

Dragster1 wrote:Too easy you can buy adaptors http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Allow-Shrade ... 0805439933 I use rubber O-rings over 1000kms no problems. I used a 2.1 x 26 tube on a 26 x 2.35 tyre and it split at the seam about 6 months later.

1000km with no punchture?

your doing well man!

hang on hang on...wont work...

your link contents says "Allow Shrader Rims to Accept Presta Valve Converter Adaptor"

mines actually the other way around....

Presta Rim... fitting a Shcrader valve.... which as mentioned above... will require a bigger hole. which can only be done by drilling.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:09 pm

DoubleSpeeded wrote:
Dragster1 wrote:Too easy you can buy adaptors http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Allow-Shrade ... 0805439933 I use rubber O-rings over 1000kms no problems. I used a 2.1 x 26 tube on a 26 x 2.35 tyre and it split at the seam about 6 months later.

your doing well man!

your link contents says "Allow Shrader Rims to Accept Presta Valve Converter Adaptor"

Presta Rim... fitting a Shcrader valve.... which as mentioned above... will require a bigger hole. which can only be done by drilling.
Drill them and if you want to go back to presta use the adaptor it allows you full option of shrader or presta tubes. Just take your time drilling, use a new and sharp drill bit or take it to a good LBS. You can buy blank rims and drill them to what ever you want, spoke holes and all. $5 for a Presta tube is much easier

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:44 pm

Dragster1 wrote:
DoubleSpeeded wrote:

your doing well man!

Drill them and if you want to go back to presta use the adaptor it allows you full option of shrader or presta tubes. Just take your time drilling, use a new and sharp drill bit or take it to a good LBS. You can buy blank rims and drill them to what ever you want, spoke holes and all. $5 for a Presta tube is much easier
$5 a 29er tube?

wow.. once again your doing well! lol

ive just purchased some online, Continental 29er $10 i think.

(unless you were thinking of 26" tube, which i find them cheaper than 29er)

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:21 pm

http://www.pushys.com.au/xtech-29-x-2-3 ... -tube.html even Kmart has them cheaper than $10

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:27 pm

Dragster1 wrote:http://www.pushys.com.au/xtech-29-x-2-3 ... -tube.html even Kmart has them cheaper than $10

LOL now, you tell me?!

too late now.

normally i overlook Pushy's as the prices are significantly higher than other stores...on the items I've wanted to purchase in the past.
(hopefully i didnt offend anyone by saying that... )

i guess its the brand name Continental is why its costing almost, double.

ill remember for next time.
Last edited by DoubleSpeeded on Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:27 pm

Where's the problem? The vast majority of rims are drilled for Presta; it tends to be only the cheaper ones that are drilled for Schraeder valves.

Given that your other bike also uses Presta valves, it makes sense re; pump attachments for both to be the same. :)

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:11 pm

Duck! wrote:Where's the problem? The vast majority of rims are drilled for Presta; it tends to be only the cheaper ones that are drilled for Schraeder valves.

Given that your other bike also uses Presta valves, it makes sense re; pump attachments for both to be the same. :)

Hi duck

Yeah I kinda noticed that.
Department store bikes generally have Schrader valves on cheap rims.

Yeh both MTB and TT have presta rims

But pumping Schrader valve isn't a problem as I've got a Merida aluminium Floor pump, the pump attachment pumps both types.

I'll stick to presta :)

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:27 pm

DoubleSpeeded wrote:
Dragster1 wrote:http://www.pushys.com.au/xtech-29-x-2-3 ... -tube.html even Kmart has them cheaper than $10

LOL now, you tell me?!

too late now.

normally i overlook Pushy's as the prices are significantly higher than other stores...on the items I've wanted to purchase in the past.
(hopefully i didnt offend anyone by saying that... )

i guess its the brand name Continental is why its costing almost, double.

ill remember for next time.
Lol! No offence taken man, I know you can get bum steered on these sites sometimes, only trying to help with what I know. I have Maxxis overdrive tyres with Kevlar belts that work a treat for road riding, Touch wood no flats so far, they are heavy and running tubes dosent help the weight.

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:52 am

Dragster1 wrote: Lol! No offence taken man, I know you can get bum steered on these sites sometimes, only trying to help with what I know. I have Maxxis overdrive tyres with Kevlar belts that work a treat for road riding, Touch wood no flats so far, they are heavy and running tubes dosent help the weight.
Yeh sometimes I wish local stores would be priced better. To support local industry rather than purchasing from foreign UK.

The original tyres were 29er Maxxis Cross Mark kevlar off road folding tyres. They were awsome.
But just too knobby for paved surfaces.

Since converting to a wirebead tyre from Kevlar.. I felt the difference. In weight and seemingly .a . less quality feel with wire

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:17 am

DoubleSpeeded wrote:however, srilling may impede the resale of the rim right?
Rims have no resale value anyway. They're consumable. You're much more likely to destroy the rim in service than sell it. If I'm buying a second hand wheelset, I'm only interested in whether the rims have buckles or dents or cracks. The size of the hole doesn't enter into it.

I've always preferred Schrader valves. Partly because they're more robust (ripping the valve off a tube happens sometimes wtih Presta... never with Schrader), partly because it gives me the option of using any pump, anywhere. Yes, servo air lines are dodgy, but they do the job. So I've drilled out lots and lots of rims.

Now deeper section rims are becoming standard, some of them are too deep for a Schrader valve to go through. So I've reluctantly switched to a new standard - long-stem Presta for all my 700c wheels, and Schrader for all my 26" wheels (which are all fairly shallow section, so far).

tim

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:51 am

DoubleSpeeded wrote:why makes you say they are better?
i have gotten used to presta valves by now as it seems that they are getting quite common...
Presta valves are better at holding pressure, even in lower pressure tyres.
barefoot wrote:(ripping the valve off a tube happens sometimes wtih Presta... never with Schrader)
That only happens if you have the wrong kind of pump. It can't happen with a good quality pump like the Lezyne Floor Drive, due to the design of the chuck.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:23 pm

rkelsen wrote:
I knew there was a real reason :) Apparently they are also easier to pump up as once the pump pressure is above the tube pressure the valve is open, you don't need to overcome the pressure of the spring valve in the Schrader valve. I also like the locking ring on presta that enables me to push the pump chuck on without having to hold the valve in place by pushing on the tyre.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:26 pm

rkelsen wrote:
barefoot wrote:(ripping the valve off a tube happens sometimes wtih Presta... never with Schrader)
That only happens if you have the wrong kind of pump. It can't happen with a good quality pump like the Lezyne Floor Drive, due to the design of the chuck.
Better at holding pressure is a new one, and I thought I'd heard most of the myths of why Presta are superior.

I've never had a problem with Schrader valves failing to hold pressure. Neither have about a billion car drivers. Air gets through the rubber tube faster than it gets through either type of valve.

I know it's possible (and not _all_ that difficult) to not rip Presta valves off, especially with a decent pump. I now use a RoadMorph or my track pump, and haven't ripped one off in years (although I definitely ripped a few off with my venerable Blackburn Mammoth Mtn before it finally died).

My point remains - you have to be a little bit careful with Presta, because it is possible to damage them with rough handling. You can handle Schrader as rough as you like, and I'm yet to find anybody who has managed to rip a valve off the tube.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:32 pm

barefoot wrote:I've never had a problem with Schrader valves failing to hold pressure. Neither have about a billion car drivers.
I didn't say that Schraeder valves don't hold pressure... Just that Presta valves are better at it.

Car tyres are "super low pressure." You're comparing apples & oranges.
barefoot wrote:Air gets through the rubber tube faster than it gets through either type of valve.
If you don't believe me, why not try an experiment? Inflate one of each and see which deflates the fastest.

My own personal experience with both has proven that Presta valves are better at holding air. I'm sure I'm not alone here.
barefoot wrote:I know it's possible (and not _all_ that difficult) to not rip Presta valves off, especially with a decent pump.
The Lezyne pump I mentioned has a screw-on chuck. With this pump, it is impossible to rip a Presta valve out. I bought it specifically because I was having the same problem as you.