M2 - Restricted access as of tomorrow East Bound

AK900

M2 - Restricted access as of tomorrow East Bound

Postby AK900 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:51 am

I have been cycling the M2 between Pennant Hills Rd and Delhi for the past week.

This morning I was stopped by a friendly Leighton's contractor to advise me that the breakdown lane section between the Norfolk Tunnel and Toll Gates will be full of machinery and work vehicles as of tomorrow.

Will be back on the detour for the foreseeable future.

It was nice whilst it lasted!

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: M2 - Restricted access as of tomorrow East Bound

Postby Boognoss » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:53 pm

I drove past today and nothing yet but I think we can blame the wet weather. I'm sure they'll move in shortly.

Cheers, Simon
Sent from my mApple myPad using Tapatalk HD
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

AK900

Postby AK900 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:43 am

Boognoss wrote:I drove past today and nothing yet but I think we can blame the wet weather. I'm sure they'll move in shortly.
Drove in this morning and the trucks where there.

Have been cycling from Pennant Hills Rd and getting off at Beecroft Rd which suits me. At least I get to avoid cycling up Pennant Hills Rd in the morning.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:47 am

AK900 wrote:
Boognoss wrote:I drove past today and nothing yet but I think we can blame the wet weather. I'm sure they'll move in shortly.

Have been cycling from Pennant Hills Rd and getting off at Beecroft Rd which suits me. At least I get to avoid cycling up Pennant Hills Rd in the morning.
Fair enough. I came off on one of those steel expansion joints on Beecroft Rd (Epping side) in the wet after coming off at that on ramp. It's put me off that stretch of road for a while. Back to official route city bound for a while for me at least.

Cheers, Simon
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

AK900

Postby AK900 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:48 pm

Boognoss wrote:I came off on one of those steel expansion joints on Beecroft Rd (Epping side) in the wet after coming off at that on ramp.
If it's any consolation, I too had a major stack on that very same expansion joint in the wet a year ago. The angle of that expansion joint is very dangerous for cycling.

Have since learnt to slow down and cut across the joint instead.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:57 pm

AK900 wrote:
Boognoss wrote:I came off on one of those steel expansion joints on Beecroft Rd (Epping side) in the wet after coming off at that on ramp.
If it's any consolation, I too had a major stack on that very same expansion joint in the wet a year ago. The angle of that expansion joint is very dangerous for cycling.

Have since learnt to slow down and cut across the joint instead.
Actually that is a bit :twisted:

trek52

Postby trek52 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:20 pm

If it makes you feel better a mate of mine we will call Dave fell off on them as well a few months ago. I can honestly say that "dave" is prob the best bike handler I know. So dont feel bad !!

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:19 pm

trek52 wrote:If it makes you feel better a mate of mine we will call Dave fell off on them as well a few months ago. I can honestly say that "dave" is prob the best bike handler I know. So dont feel bad !!
It can happen to anyone. My pet hate is Jacaranda Leaves (Purple Ice), and I have come off twice because of those things.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

ebimaji

Postby ebimaji » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:31 am

Boognoss wrote:
AK900 wrote:

Fair enough. I came off on one of those steel expansion joints on Beecroft Rd (Epping side) in the wet after coming off at that on ramp. It's put me off that stretch of road for a while. Back to official route city bound for a while for me at least.

Cheers, Simon
I came off Saturday here http://goo.gl/maps/wbofG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Its the right place but Google Maps hasn't updated yet. That expansion joint IS WAY WORSE than depicted. It runs almost parallel to your wheels. Because its on a downhill going toward epping it comes up quick. All I remember was flying and twisting. Next thing I know traffic is stopped in all directions...thankfully some motorists gave me a hand. I ended up at Westmead until midnight for xray, CT etc. All clear but I'm sore as and lower back is turning every colour of the rainbow. I'd hate for anyone else to come off on this. Worst part was I was only there because of the M2 "no bikes" sign at the beecroft tunnel. I was trying to get over to M2 westbound.

eon

Postby eon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:46 pm

Ouch.. :( Hope all is good now.

Anyone know if the M2 is Ride-able from Penant Hills -> Delhi rd & return yet ?
thanks.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:53 pm

eon wrote:Ouch.. :( Hope all is good now.

Anyone know if the M2 is Ride-able from Penant Hills -> Delhi rd & return yet ?
thanks.
Not legally/easily.

Eastbound is a no-go unless you want to do a roughly 400m uphill stretch IN the motor traffic lanes when they're not expecting a bike to be there while doing 80+. Another 20 months to go!

Westbound is all open from Delhi Rd to the M7.

eon

Postby eon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:22 pm

bugger. there goes that idea... :(

thanks mate.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:44 pm

eon wrote:bugger. there goes that idea... :(

thanks mate.
If either of these are helpful, here's my long commute this morning showing what you have to do to avoid the M2 after P/Hills Rd - http://www.strava.com/activities/86513722" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And outbound commute yesterday (obviously nicer) - http://www.strava.com/activities/86374744" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eon

Postby eon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:57 pm

Boognoss wrote:If either of these are helpful, here's my long commute this morning showing what you have to do to avoid the M2 after P/Hills Rd - http://www.strava.com/activities/86513722" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And outbound commute yesterday (obviously nicer) - http://www.strava.com/activities/86374744" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thanks bud...

... from Baulko, I might just go as far as Penno, then down to Camden Valley Way, then Mulgoa Rd then back home. Was hoping for a 160 but might come up a little short. Can always stretch the home bound back via Penno again I guess.

thanks for the feedback. :)

eon

Postby eon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:45 pm

Drove through M2 yesterday, and looks like with the exception of just after the Tunnel ( Eastbound ) its ridable to Delhi rd.
There are a couple of barriers after tunnel, but can a bike be ridden between them ? couldn't see in car if road is surfaced behind the barriers.

Anyone ridden through them recently ?

thanks

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:25 pm

eon wrote:Drove through M2 yesterday, and looks like with the exception of just after the Tunnel ( Eastbound ) its ridable to Delhi rd.
There are a couple of barriers after tunnel, but can a bike be ridden between them ? couldn't see in car if road is surfaced behind the barriers.

Anyone ridden through them recently ?

thanks
Correct. AFAIK behind those barriers the surface is still fine but you run the gauntlet with workers and equipment potentially. Before the workers moved in I rode a few times and carried my bike over the barriers and rode on the shoulder behind the barriers. I haven't done it since they started though.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:29 pm

I am playing it safe, and with eastbound between lane cove rd/Delhi rd due to be closed soon, I figure I might as well stay using the inbound detour. At least my ride home is quick on the M2!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

eon

Postby eon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:33 pm

Boognoss wrote: Correct. AFAIK behind those barriers the surface is still fine but you run the gauntlet with workers and equipment potentially. Before the workers moved in I rode a few times and carried my bike over the barriers and rode on the shoulder behind the barriers. I haven't done it since they started though.
thanks.. I plan on only riding it on the weekends. likely about 6am-ish or if i leave Delhi rd as last leg, about 9am ish.
I didn't see any trucks or equipment behind (7pm yesterday) so was thinking it looks ok. but just cant tell if its already surfaced.