Cycling Central Women's Panel

Eleri

Cycling Central Women's Panel

Postby Eleri » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:18 pm

Last night Cycling Central (SBS2 on Sunday 6pm) had an all women panel talking about women's cycling.

There's footage of some of the St Kilda Women's Cycling Club including the perennial Charlie Farren and a ride in Sydney including my own club, Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club.

The panel was Kate Bates, Annabel Drew and me. It wasn't just racing, although we did talk about that. It was actually about participation and inclusion. It's online and you can watch it here.

RonK

Re: Cycling Central Women's Panel

Postby RonK » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:57 pm

I saw you Eleri. Nice to be able tobput a face to a forum name.

It was good to see so many women cyclists talking about their enjoyment of cycling. Hopefully it will encourage others.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:44 pm

Missed the show, but will check it out.

Look forward to hearing what was discussed, in some circles/cycling clubs/eventswomen's racing/participation is given lip service only..
As a C graded lady racing its almost impossible to have an event of our own, which means I'm racing against fitter and faster girls and most are more than 10 years younger.
Lisa

macca33

Postby macca33 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:46 pm

It's good to see that the ladies are becoming so well recognised at all levels and that SBS CC are peesentinf this aspect. However, there are a lot more clubs with fantastic female involvement in Vic than SKCC - it would be nice if SBS CC ventured outside the burbs - where a lot of good things are currently happening with female participation, as well as general safety programs being run by country clubs.

Sent from a MacGalaxy far, far away...
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

macca33

Postby macca33 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:56 pm

It's good to see that the ladies are becoming so well recognised at all levels and that SBS CC are presenting this aspect. However, there are a lot more clubs with fantastic female involvement in Vic than SKCC - it would be nice if SBS CC ventured outside the burbs - where a lot of good things are currently happening with female participation, as well as general safety programs being run by country clubs.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:21 pm

That was an awesome segment. I didn't know it was you! Will re-watch knowing that. :mrgreen:

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:44 pm

Didn't see it, but the more the better I say.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:20 pm

macca33 wrote:It's good to see that the ladies are becoming so well recognised at all levels and that SBS CC are presenting this aspect. However, there are a lot more clubs with fantastic female involvement in Vic than SKCC - it would be nice if SBS CC ventured outside the burbs - where a lot of good things are currently happening with female participation, as well as general safety programs being run by country clubs.

You could give them a write up here Macca. I know the people at CC and I can point them in the right direction :-) Mike Tomalaris is definitely keen to do more on women's cycling.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:03 pm

Eleri wrote:
macca33 wrote:It's good to see that the ladies are becoming so well recognised at all levels and that SBS CC are presenting this aspect. However, there are a lot more clubs with fantastic female involvement in Vic than SKCC - it would be nice if SBS CC ventured outside the burbs - where a lot of good things are currently happening with female participation, as well as general safety programs being run by country clubs.

You could give them a write up here Macca. I know the people at CC and I can point them in the right direction :-) Mike Tomalaris is definitely keen to do more on women's cycling.

Cheers Eleri - I shall do when time permits. It is Warragul Cycling Club, which recently commenced the 'Upright and In Sight' rider safety initiative (launched by Tracey Gaudry) and which has a fantastic level of involvement from local women of all ages.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:37 pm

A couple of women were rather upset by some of Kate Bate's comments regarding the participation of cycling by women. I must admit I don't watch it any more myself (MT and Tan make me want to take to my TV with an axe, but it must have been a tad condescending in places for others this time as well. Because I didint watch so I can't be any more enlightening than those who commented on my timeline. This was from just one of those posts.

"The token "swimsuit" edition. The wine industry does the same in some magazines once a year with the "Women in Wine" stuff."

"And another great comment about empowering women (not) on twitter from Ms Bates: "Loved doing a ladies cycling central and look forward to more. I know Mike Tomalaris enjoyed having a harem"

"Kate bates is a moron. Strong in the legs weak in the heads, as my old school principal use to say. Haven't watch it since the I can't under stand why those crazy mountain bikers don't support the national championships... Proved once and for all the CA and so called rider representatives just don't get it."

"The show was about women in cycling. They began with the obvious - let's get more women on bikes. They discussed the difficulties women encounter in commuting to their 'professional job' and helmet hair. Let's imagine the law ain't gonna change - so how about talk about how to negotiate for work facilities to support cycling to work (I don't need to elaborate on the health benefits, road congestion, etc.) just as women (and men) have achieved more flexible working hours to allow for family-based activities. And they discussed how women fear riding on the road - but didn't mention any solutions such as the various advocacy groups or Bicycle NSW workshops, Bike Wise etc. which teach skills for riding on the road and in traffic (and obviously I'm sure there are others in other states across Australia). They discussed positive role models, gave the example of some female local councillor or some such who was renowned for cycling everywhere - agreed that this was a great role model however Kate Bates then said "You'd be seen as a nutter" or something along those lines - like, Say What?!! They had a half hour to help get more women on bikes and they talked about two road clubs (Dulwich & St Kilda) who clearly run some awesome stuff but NOTHING about any other cycling discipline, or how to find a club in your area, road, MTB or otherwise. Bec Henderson was given a very brief mention at the very beginning for having won the WC yesterday but no mention of the more significant fact of her now leading the Series. And never mind the completely irrelevant reference to racial diversity in the workplace.
Do some research on resources, put together a list and post it on the website and refer to it. Perhaps I need to watch it again and maybe I've missed some of the more positive stuff ... feel free to correct me!
Additionally, Kate Bates' reference weeks ago to the Wiggins comment "Descending like a girl" was mentioned with respect to having a bad day on the bike, but was just thrown out there without giving any context, an assumption perhaps that everyone watching would have been aware of it. I cringed, wondering what those unaware would think it meant. Surely a female rider & presenter should know better?"
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:29 am

Gee... I didn't think Kate was that bad... She strikes me as someone who isn't natural on camera... so her stuff comes off a little rehearsed. Having said that I really didn't think it was bad... I thought it was all fairly realistic..

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:51 am

Yeah, I don't have photos so as far as I'm concerned it didn't happen. Could just be some choosing to be overly sensitive. It is the new black ie: "politically correct = stick firmly wedged up nether regions at all times.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:54 am

I don't think she was bad either. Some people can be very finicky about what ruffles their feathers I spose.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:57 am

I was actually thinking of men when I said that btw. Covering my nether regions to be extra cautious.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:43 pm

http://www.fitact.org.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.fitact.org.au/training-sessions-1/cycling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:07 pm

More sez I. C'mon Thommo, tell the boss this should be a weekly event covering all disciplines our velosisters are into.
The 2nd Womble wrote:Covering my nether regions to be extra cautious.
Struth, where'd you find a tarp big enough? :P
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:57 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:A couple of women were rather upset by some of Kate Bate's comments regarding the participation of cycling by women. I must admit I don't watch it any more myself (MT and Tan make me want to take to my TV with an axe, but it must have been a tad condescending in places for others this time as well. Because I didint watch so I can't be any more enlightening than those who commented on my timeline.
Umm if you didn't watch it, then why throw your two cents in? I invite you to watch the ep yourself.

No we didn't cover all issues, there wasn't time and there is so much more all 3 of us would like to have said. I know that Mike Tomalaris is keen to have more of a focus on women and eps like this one.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:36 pm

Eleri wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:A couple of women were rather upset by some of Kate Bate's comments regarding the participation of cycling by women. I must admit I don't watch it any more myself (MT and Tan make me want to take to my TV with an axe, but it must have been a tad condescending in places for others this time as well. Because I didint watch so I can't be any more enlightening than those who commented on my timeline.
Umm if you didn't watch it, then why throw your two cents in? I invite you to watch the ep yourself.

No we didn't cover all issues, there wasn't time and there is so much more all 3 of us would like to have said. I know that Mike Tomalaris is keen to have more of a focus on women and eps like this one.
Thought it was too simple to require an explanation. It appeared multiple times on my timeline with many more comments than those I shared. I didn't watch the show, and I don't feel the need to either way. I have no opinion either way.
If I need to watch the show to be able to comment then maybe post ahead next time and I'll be able to avoid any future threads for your benefit.

Michael O'Reilly

Postby Michael O'Reilly » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:20 pm

I thought it was an excellent first outing, and hopefully there will be more, and soon.
I think everybody is keen to see more women's participation in cycling. It's good to see the positive comments here from those who saw the show.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:58 am

As someone who rides a lot for both sport and transport I watched this show and thought these three clearly knew what they were talking about and were aware of the issues facing cyclists.

That's pretty rare on tv in itself - but that they are three ladies is a bonus.

Applause to SBS. :)

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:13 pm

Finally got the time to watch the episode...

Well done ladies.

Just a bit disappointed re a couple of the candid comments from the SKC ladies about cycling being a good way to met men and getting rid of cellulite :roll:

I'm sure that the editors had better comments than those to include.... :?

So much to discuss and explore in less than 30 mins, be great to have more segments...now to spread the message beyond women who are already into cycling and into watching the serious cycling shows like CC.
Lisa

newie

Postby newie » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:23 pm

Just watched it too. I thought it was pretty good. Overall I think kudos has to go to SBS and CC. My impression is that they are making a genuine and consistent effort to ensure exposure of women's cycling and this was another example of their efforts. They were profiling different women cyclists each week for a while and they do seem to show women's racing every now and then - much more than happens in other similarly male dominated sports.