Brisbane to Hervey bay

Dragster1

Brisbane to Hervey bay

Postby Dragster1 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:36 pm

HI!
Can anyone give me some trip advice on a ride from Brisbane to Hervey bay. I plan on breaking it up into 4 rides of 100 to 120 kms with over night stays. If you have any routes that avoid heavy traffic would be helpful also. So far these are my proposed stops

Forest Lake to Caboolture----Caboolture to Noosa----Noosa to Tincan bay-----Tincan bay to Hervay Bay.

So far I am looking at going inland of the Bruce highway until I hit Palmwoods and then cross over to the coastal road for the rest of the trip.

I plan on doing it on a road bike but I am unsure of road conditions and if the roads aren't up to it I will take my full rigid mountain bike.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Tony

warrengynther

Re: Brisbane to Hervey bay

Postby warrengynther » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:02 pm

I have thought about this same trip, however I live just west of Caboolture. My preferred route would be Steve Irwin way to Caloundra turnoff. Then follow Caloundra Rd to the new Kawana way. This has very good cycle infrastructure all the way along it. Follow the coast to noosa, then towards Pomona, Kinkin, Cooran and up to Tincan bay via the Cooloola way or Counters Rd.

Good Luck.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:36 pm

Hi warrengynther Thanks for the reply, Have you ridden along Steve Irwin way a lot of people on here say to avoid it but I don't know how bad it is never ridden on it myself

warrengynther

Postby warrengynther » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:48 am

The speed limit on Steve Irwin Way has just been reduced to 80 for most of its length. There are good shoulders on the road for the parts from Landsborough to Caloundra turnoff, and from Beerburrum to almost Glasshouse. You could turn off at Beerwah, cross the railway and follow the road on the western side of the rail line to Landsborough. This would take out about 5-6 km of road without shoulders.

Alternative route could be old Gympie Rd from Beerburrum to Landsborough. This is a much quieter back road than the Steve Irwin Way. It is all bitumen and quite a good road. A little more hilly than the Steve Irwin Way.

As for the question. I have cycled parts of it in the past, but I travel it daily by car and pass a lot of cyclists of both touring and commuting types.

If you are interested in free camps, there are 2 available. At Matthew Flinders park just out of Beerburrum, and also one at the Caloundra turnoff as well.

Good Luck

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:58 am

Recently I posted on this thread the route taken by the Brisbane - Noosa Century ride a couple of years ago. It avoids the busiest roads but there are some hills, most notably Kiel Mountain to get across.

From Noosa I would head to Cooroy, Pomona, Kin Kin and Wolvi to the Tin Can Bay road through Goomborian and onto the Cooloola Coast road to Maryborough. There will be plenty of hills but they are not huge and there is really no way to avoid them.

Another option if you don't mind a bit of gravel would be to take the scenic route via the Cooloola Way. The turnoff is just before Kin Kin, and it comes out on the Rainbow Beach road. It's quite a while since I last travelled this road so I can't advise what condition it is in. The road might be signposted as closed after heavy rain, but it is usually ignored. National Park information here, and map here.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:33 pm

Thanks for the info everything is a help :) , looking at overnight stays in motels ATM, only because i want to pack as light as possible and want to use my road bike for the trip. Lots of info on riding these roads but its in many different threads.