Malvern Star track frame built by Whitehorn?

Verbs & Nouns

Malvern Star track frame built by Whitehorn?

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:31 am

Hey, I've been offered a Malvern Star track frame. The details given to me are this...

"that its actually a Whitehorn frameset built for Malvern Star here in Adelaide as a team bike".

I'm pretty sure it's from the late seventies / early eighties, amazing condition, but I can't find much information about Whitehorn frames. It's not overly expensive, but still a fair bit. I'm pretty much buying this, but I'd to find some more info about it. I'm think of using the parts on my Ricardo to build it up.

I found only this.

Ron Whitehorn also made Macini frames. Frank of Collectable Cycles has a few...

"Hand built Macini road racing frame, made circa 1986 by Ron Whitehorn, master frame builder and champion South Australian racing cyclist."

He also has a Malvern Star Pursuit from 1984. The frame I'm looking at getting is very similar, but it's silver / grey.

"Sloping top tube, semi-sloping fork crown, Zeus forged front and rear track drop outs. Reynolds butted tubing throughout, most probably 753, ultra-thin wall chrome moly steel tubing. The frame weighs only 1.7 kg., and the complete bike only 7 kg."
Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:09 pm

buy it, strip the bits and give it to me. :lol:

Ron Whitehorn made a pair of custom 531 forks for me in about 1979. I were a tacker. Lovely they were, but the paint used to fly off them if you went downhill too fast.

Anyway, he used to make a lot of good stuff around Adelaide, most of it 'on spec' for shop proprietors like Ron Backshall and thus not under his own name. His son Dean continued the tradition.

*edit coz there's no such thing as 532
Last edited by rustychisel on Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbs & Nouns

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:28 pm

It's just the frameset.... and it's pretty much on hold for me til I get the money. ;)
Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?