eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

grantw

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby grantw » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:44 pm

LugNut wrote:
carbon in 10 years :twisted:
Eaxactly :-)

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:54 pm

grantw wrote:
LugNut wrote:
Mine has lasted 25 years so far. Another will make it 35 :P

Anyway, super cheap NOS 1055 levers. This seller also has some really good prices for NOW skin/gumwall tyres amongst other NOS stuff.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LEVIER-NEUF- ... 2ec0b5a208" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:40 pm

QuangVuong wrote:
grantw wrote:
LugNut wrote:

Anyway, super cheap NOS 1055 levers. This seller also has some really good prices for NOW skin/gumwall tyres amongst other NOS stuff.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LEVIER-NEUF- ... 2ec0b5a208" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hehe, I didn't think that would would slip by you. Nice, he also has a good price on the *left* 7 speed STI version. It's only 1 lever mind you, I don't know if those Shimano levers were left-right specific.

grantw

Postby grantw » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:24 am

A matched pair of Raleigh Sports

Yankers

Postby Yankers » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:56 pm

grantw wrote:A matched pair of Raleigh Sports
Seems like the seller might be the original owner - pretty neat story is they are.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:01 pm

bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:12 pm

QuangVuong wrote:
grantw wrote:
LugNut wrote:
But how many kilometres has it traveled? I'll be interested to know if it gets to 35 what kilometres it's done by then. If it's already done a lot of kilometres, I think it would be worth your effort to compare it for flex with a new, similar model. By the way, what model is this that was built in '88?

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:35 pm

Nobody wrote:
QuangVuong wrote:Mine has lasted 25 years so far. Another will make it 35 :P
But how many kilometres has it traveled? I'll be interested to know if it gets to 35 what kilometres it's done by then. If it's already done a lot of kilometres, I think it would be worth your effort to compare it for flex with a new, similar model. By the way, what model is this that was built in '88?
Giant Cadex 980c. It's on their site under the history about being one of the early carbon frames made. 87 was the first, but I believe mine was maybe a year or 2 after the initial release according to the decals I had on mine.

Unfortunately I don't know much about its history, other than that the previous owner used it for training, so its likely to have logged a whole bunch of kms. Before him was someone who used it as a commuter. As for its known mileage, I've done about 400km on it. That was after a full repaint and rebuild. And now its also got holes drilled in it, so ill get to see how long it'll last til it breaks. Ill also find out how far i can ride on cracked carbon rims, before they fully fail. Once I'm done with school, I'll have much more time to go on longer rides and more regularly.

As with testing with a new carbon bike, what would I aim to test? Compared to my Centurion Carbon, which is 24 years old, it is quite the flexible frame. But that could be its nature, or the Centurion is much stiffer.

munga

Postby munga » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 pm

engage in conversation with Nobody at your peril. he will turn the conversation any which way he pleases. he's like a wizard the children might visit on their wishing chair.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:53 pm

munga wrote:engage in conversation with Nobody at your peril. he will turn the conversation any which way he pleases. he's like a wizard the children might visit on their wishing chair.
C'mon, I know I'm a bad guy (just ask anyone who rides carbon) but devious is an entirely different level. :)

I know the Cadex brand wasn't registered until May 1988, so to be '88, it had to be a very early model. I had a '93 CFR2, which I bought new, so I'm familiar with the brand. I don't remember hearing about CFMs in the MTB club until someone showed up on one in about early '92. I remember him showing me how stiff it was as he bounced on the pedal.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:04 pm

QuangVuong wrote:Ill also find out how far i can ride on cracked carbon rims, before they fully fail.
Thanks for the reply. It will probably be worth your while to get rid of any cracked rims before they fail, regardless of what they are made of, especially the front wheel. No-one wants to spend time in hospital because a wheel collapsed on them.
QuangVuong wrote:As with testing with a new carbon bike, what would I aim to test? Compared to my Centurion Carbon, which is 24 years old, it is quite the flexible frame. But that could be its nature, or the Centurion is much stiffer.
You would be aiming to test the relative flex under pedal pressure of say BB movement in reference to the axles. What I was suggesting is that carbon generally gets more flexible as the kilometres increase. Not a big problem for most, but since most people buy carbon for performance, stiffness is usually a quality most heavier people value.
Road racer Ben Douglas told Ride On the common understanding among competitive riders is that after two years averaging 20-25,000km per annum racing and training, a carbon fibre bike will lose some of its stiffness due to the epoxy resin softening. It makes the bike less suitable for high-end racing, but still more than adequate as a road bike.
http://rideons.wordpress.com/2012/04/19 ... nd-repair/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:18 pm

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/abo ... .masses/3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1987 as on Giant's site. It's Giant's first carbon bike, and was the predecessor to the CFR range.

The front wheel is ok. It's just one of the rear spokes is wanting to pull out of the rim. I am wanting to replace them, but need to find or build some wheels first.

I'm nowhere near classified as heavy at ~60kg, and I don't seem to have any issues with it so far. It feels stiff enough, but I haven't tried a new carbon frame, so I wouldn't have a clue. You wanna have a test for yourself?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:28 pm

QuangVuong wrote:You wanna have a test for yourself?
No thanks. I'm not close to you. :) But I do have a Giant ATX760 steel bike that I bought new about in '90 or '91 from memory it is still a fairly stiff frame. I couldn't tell you how many Kms it has done, but it would be a fair few. I lent it to a friend for a while who was riding at a rate of about 10,000Km a year.

In the end, at 60Kg it doesn't really matter. I'm about 84Kg, so stiffness matters a little bit more to me. :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:33 pm

No explanation for the yellow seat & slime green chain though - probably because there is no way to explain that short of mind altering drugs :)

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:35 pm

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/point-co ... 1025692729" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How are the Malvern Star Revenge?

Bit big for me, but seems to be in good condition.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:52 pm

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder?.

...I'd have thought the small wheels would make the bike unstable?

Rob

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:06 pm

There is something not quite right with this shogun

While it is always possible that it is just the usual dodgy photography, my best guess is that this was a time trial bike with funny bike geometry & some joker has replaced the 650 front wheel & fork with a 700C.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:23 pm

Rob74 wrote:Beauty is in the eye of the beholder?.

...I'd have thought the small wheels would make the bike unstable?

Rob
Nah, they're 700c. That's Toolongs touring bike :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:26 am

find_bruce wrote:There is something not quite right with this shogun

While it is always possible that it is just the usual dodgy photography, my best guess is that this was a time trial bike with funny bike geometry & some joker has replaced the 650 front wheel & fork with a 700C.
Looks like the fork was also replaced.

porkchops

Postby porkchops » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:03 am

dats rong

this is wot there suposed 2 look lik wif a 650 front

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=imag ... B600%3B400
I'm an expert because I read it all on the internet

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:07 am

find_bruce wrote:
Image[/url]

Yep spot on. There was one of those bikes at the Noosa Strade Bianche show on the weekend with the correct fork and front wheel. I'd be all over that if it wasn't at the other end of the country :( .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:37 am

A new highwater mark for ebay photography :lol:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bikes-Foldin ... 20d67a35b7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cray-

Postby cray- » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:05 am

Shot from the other side of some frosted bathroom privacy glass?

munga

Postby munga » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:06 am

24" front, actually.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:23 am

Bent forks http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fixed-Wheel- ... 3f283c8df9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And bent Humber Duplex forks :( http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Humb ... 20d662c7ba" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;