Stoves and Cookwear

footloose

Re: Stoves and Cookwear

Postby footloose » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:15 pm

To minimise the soot problem with Trangias, allow the burner to heat up and start burning properly with a blue flame before putting the pot on the burner. After a few days use, there will still be a buildup of combustion products on the pot but it doesn't wipe off onto other gear. I do the same as IP and use something like chux between the pots and it stops the rattling.
I really enjoy my cups of tea and will often, where the water supply allows, make a cup of tea with lunch. The extra fuel weight is neither here nor there compared to the weight of food etc. but well worth that relaxing cuppa in the right place.
I have the old version of the Trangia with the aluminium pots and despite having a Whisperlite, the old shellite model and a gas stove, pretty much always use the Trangia. I like my food and with a bit of planning and common sense, always manage a good tasty meal.
I've seen a melted Trangia base as described by rifraf, similar circumstances and same result.
The Trangia might be a little slow but it's excellent for those meals that really should be simmered or cooked slowly. You really have to mess up badly to burn your meal on the bottom of the pot. One of the first things I do when pulling up for the night is to fire up the Trangia, by the time the tent is up and the mat and bag are laid out, the Trangia is boiling. If I'm hungry then it's a cup of soup to keep the worms quiet. I minimise the fuel use by bringing the rice etc. to the boil and then wrapping the pot in something to keep it hot whilst I prepare the other ingredients in the other pot or use the plate.
Always use a lid of some sort, helps to reduce the boiling time and minimises fuel usage.
Fuel cost is such a small component of all my costs that I've never worried about it, availability is really the only consideration for me, one reason why I don't really like the cheapo gas stove that I have.
If you have access to the magazine, "Wild" there have been a number of excellent menu ideas. More suited for the bike tourer heading off directly for areas where it's necessary to carry food from the outset but still useful.
An old site now and not updated for a while but it has given me a few ideas for food and dehydrating.
http://dehydrated-food.blogspot.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FatGuts

Postby FatGuts » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:07 pm

Aushiker wrote:
rifraf wrote:Trangia talks about the issue here:

http://www.trangia.se/english/2937.faq.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"2. My pots or windshield has melted, how could this happen?
If you "dry cook", ie put a pot over the flame without food, liquid or fat, it soon becomes too hot and can cause the pot to melt. The vents in the lower windshield should be turned into the wind. If it is wrong or if the wind suddenly turns you can get a back flow that causes the melting of the air holes. Spilt fuel on the ground and the windshield can also cause damage. If you have spilt fuel you need to remove the stove and wipe it dry." :shock:
Well I am glad that I have sold my Trangia .... not something that I consider to be a good design. Glad you got sorted okay anyway.

Andrew

I just watched the video, may that thing looks like hard work........I think I will stick with my little butane jobbie & the billy.

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:18 pm

Yep, Trangias are renowned for being unreliable and difficult to use :lol: :roll: :wink:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:23 pm

Agreed. That's why I have a Trangia that is over 30 years old, and a mate and I used our two Trangias for 9 weeks of touring through Victoria and outback SA.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

iacl

Postby iacl » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:39 pm

il padrone wrote:Agreed. That's why I have a Trangia that is over 30 years old, and a mate and I used our two Trangias for 9 weeks of touring through Victoria and outback SA.
Ha ha, mines a 1981 vintage and still going strong. No melt downs, but a lotta charactor. Still gave original saucepans, but use duosol pots by choice, not much newer than the originals. Use when more than the mini is required.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:05 pm

To complement the hard anodised Trangia I just ordered a MSR Pocketrocket.
I spotted bike24 had them whilst trolling the site after being disappointed by their out of stock levels of Schwalbe Mondials.
Last I'd looked the Pocketrocket was around $60 but from Ze Germans
25.17 EUR = 36.3732 AUD = win
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:42 pm

rifraf wrote:To complement the hard anodised Trangia I just ordered a MSR Pocketrocket.
I spotted bike24 had them whilst trolling the site after being disappointed by their out of stock levels of Schwalbe Mondials.
Then you see my SMS and realise it's a fail
And delivery date on bike24 is unknown then throw in shipping of 19.95 euro which then makes it $65.78 AUD
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:15 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
rifraf wrote:To complement the hard anodised Trangia I just ordered a MSR Pocketrocket.
Then you see my SMS and realise it's a fail
And delivery date on bike24 is unknown then throw in shipping of 19.95 euro which then makes it $65.78 AUD
Hi Baalzamon,
thanks for your sms.
Was doing a bike24 order anyway so really no postage.
Got some Marathon Supremes, an Amparo, the rocket and some Tubus parts on the way.
They were out of 2.00 Mondials and dont know when they'll be getting any more.
I might have to do a Starbike order tonight.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:50 pm

Fairly sure I'm going to pull the pin & buy one of these...I like MSR the idea I can use both gas and shell lite with the same stove.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:12 pm

Wingnut wrote:Fairly sure I'm going to pull the pin & buy one of these...I like MSR the idea I can use both gas and shell lite with the same stove.

I got the WhisperLite and it's a great stove so your going to like that model. While your at it get the service kit it's worth it or should I say your going to need it down the track anyway. Also if you get the MSR fuel bottle get the service kit for that as well. Mine burns kero by changing the jet does that model do the same? When you pull it apart for service and you need to pull the cable out to clean the line it's tight so your going to have to use a fair amount of force both getting it out and replacing it to make sure it's seated. I went to a plumbers supply and got a stainless waste sink ring to sit on top this allows any cup or pot of any size to be placed on top and the flame heats this ring and gives a far better control of heat dispersion for cooking. I got a 120mm ring.....

Ricky
Last edited by }SkOrPn--7 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:21 pm

Hey Ricky,

I do like their stoves and think this one looks good too...I forgot about the service kits, I'll have to get them later.

I'm not too sure on all the details of the stove atm but like what I see. Thanks for the heat ring tip too!

MSR promo vid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unr2Q4h5meA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How to change the fuel types from gas to fuel... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD9yoYazJ2o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:46 pm

Wingnut wrote:Hey Ricky,

I do like their stoves and think this one looks good too...I forgot about the service kits, I'll have to get them later.

I'm not too sure on all the details of the stove atm but like what I see. Thanks for the heat ring tip too!

MSR promo vid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unr2Q4h5meA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How to change the fuel types from gas to fuel... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD9yoYazJ2o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hey WN in that video it does say your model does kero. I will get a image for you of the flange ring so you know exactly what to get if you feel it's a worth it for your needs because I can't for the life of me remember what there really called. One good thing about using that sink flange ring is you use less gas because it gets extremely hot which means you can turn down the supply getting far better control of your heat source and it simmers really nicely.

Ricky

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:37 am

Any pics or info on the flange ring would be appreciated Ricky...

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:06 pm

Wingnut wrote:Any pics or info on the flange ring would be appreciated Ricky...
Here you go buddy there about 120mm diameter if you think this is for your or you just want to try it make sure it's the stainless one. It heats up like a big round element giving a more even displacement of heat on your cooking pot or what ever your using rather than a concentrated heat source. The other beauty is the flames don't rush up the sides of your cup or pot so you can have your hand over stirring adding ingredients not getting burnt yourself.

Ricky

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:19 pm

Thanks for the pics! Now I know what to look for...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:39 pm

What are peoples thoughts on the Primus Omnifuel?
Looks of a similar design to the MSR multi-fuels or the Optimus Nova range.
So far I've found only good reviews, but I've only just started looking.
Chief advantage over the MSR (supposedly) is the full alloy pump as opposed to MSR's plastic one (which some dont get on with).
Takes butane canisters as well as the usual liquid assortment (white spirits, kero etc)
Can be fettled into a Trangia should the desire be there with the use of the Nova fitting kit (or a home made one).
I feel fairly well sorted with my Trangia and MSR Pocketrocket but.................

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:26 am

After being inundated with both enthusiastic comments as well as criticism of the Omnifuel.....not :!:
Theres been an unusual silence since I made the above post.
I went with my gut and grabbed a Primus Omnilite Ti from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Primus-OmniLite-r ... mnilite+Ti" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Delivered to WA for $190.00 Au.
Surprisingly quick postage which beat other orders from SJS in the UK and Click-Stand also in the US but ordered earlier than the stove.
My thoughts so far is that I'm not happy with the 300ml fuel bottle and I'll most likely upgrade to a one liter bottle so I can just pour in a full bottle of fuel when purchased instead of pouring in only 300 ml at a time and having to carry an extra bottle.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:33 pm

Talk about a kid with a new toy.
My Omnilite is getting a "break in" thrashing.

My stainless expresso maker is working overtime after I walked down to the local Woolies and grabbed some ground coffee.
I've just finished some boiled eggs for lunch utilising my Trangia pots on the Omnifuel.

Impressions?
Surprisingly quick to do the coffee - I'll have to use a slower flame to get the full flavour of the coffee. I'm on my fourth brew of the day and still using too hot a flame.
Did a good speedy (compared to the Trangia) job of bringing a pot of water to the boil to cook my eggs.
Not as noisy as I worried it was going to be.
About what I remembered my Optimus 111T with silent burner to sound like, burning on "full chat".
Not quiet but not as obtrusive as some other stoves I've used.

Its definitely more "fun" to use than my Trangia (on the alcohol), but I can see situations where I'd prefer to be using the gentle paced metho cooker where I can dare wander away for a moment or two.

Could I see it replacing the Trangia as my unit of preference?
No but it opens up more options including a fitting where I can get the Primus to fit into the Trangia should I wish to go in that direction.

More experimenting will tell me about fuel economy as I find my Trangia hogs the fuel a bit the way I use it.
I'm expecting to use less overall with the Primus Omnilite although with this option its necessary to also carry priming fuel (metho) to preheat the Omnilite burner unit.

Its currently tipping down with rain so I'm uninspired to get my camera out at the mo.
I'll try to get around to it later on this arvo.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:51 pm

rifraf wrote:After being inundated with both enthusiastic comments as well as criticism of the Omnifuel.....not :!:
Theres been an unusual silence since I made the above post.
Hehe - you must be the only BNAer who has one... :D

Which reminds me - now that my stove collection has grown yet again I should put my MSR Whisperlite and Dragonfly up on the market place and sell them. Maybe the SnowPeak BF stove too.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:23 pm

RonK wrote: Hehe - you must be the only BNAer who has one... :D

Which reminds me - now that my stove collection has grown yet again I should put my MSR Whisperlite and Dragonfly up on the market place and sell them. Maybe the SnowPeak BF stove too.
Its a bit of an old fashioned design in my opinion.
I say this as there is no pricker control on the valve control knob but you get with the stove a separate tool for jet removal and field strip which incorporates a pricker for jet cleaning.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:11 pm

Well its nice to be able to use my stove top expresso once again.
I used it on the glass stove top and it left a ring mark on the glass.
My Landlady will not be amused.
So great to have the Omnilite so I can pop outside or in the garage during this horrible Perth spring weather
and get myself a caffeine charge.

I've won a MSR 1 liter fuel bottle on ebay for $5.50 plus $7.95 postage so will soon be able to offer a definitive answer to anyone wanting confirmation regarding Primus pumps and MSR bottles.
I've been told the Optimus, Primus and MSR bottles share the same thread but also recall reading somewhere that one of the pumps doesnt tighten up enough to seal against the o-ring to enable pressurisation.
Watch this space :)

My original reasoning for wanting a liter bottle was that the supplied 300ml left me with having to haul around the purchased 1 liter fuel container/bottle that kero/white spirits/etc came in (for longer trips).
Not a biggie but I thought I'd investigate trying to do away with the bottle supplied with the fuel.
Turns out most pressurable fuel bottles from stove manufacturers are slightly less than 1 liter and then you have to account for the pump and also leaving some space for the compressed air to force your fuel down the line to the burner head.
Primus offers a 1.5 liter bottle but in my eyes thats just too big for my use both in terms of extra weight as well as bulk.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:19 am

The primus pump appears to fit the MSR bottle with no evident issue and seals with no leaks.
Funnily though the cap from the MSR bottle doesnt like the Primus bottle.
It goes on a couple of threads and tightens up.
I've not forced it as I have a stopper lid for the primus bottle already.
No force needed and no evident tightness when using the pump and no apparent issue in its use.
Upon pump removal and examination I can see no problem with the pump nor bottle threads. :?

On a side note, I've been sampling the new range of Heinz beans in a sachet.
http://www.heinz.com.au/Our-Products/Be ... A2508F74FB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(About $3.57 (AT) Woolworths from memory)
Nice range of flavors and I like the addition of chickpeas and other types of beans in the mix.
My favorite is the Spanish with Chorizo one with the curried pumpkin one coming a close second.
the sachets make for a better package than hauling cans with their inherant weight penalty.
Bon Appetit

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:38 pm

For users of the MSR pocket rocket and other canister stoves who are concerned about the stability of their stove I spotted a product on the Macpac site which may be of interest:
http://www.macpac.com.au/get-out-there/ ... stand.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you are a MWC member the price is currently $6.96 which is much cheaper than MSR's own offering.
It was too late for me as I've ordered the genuine article from ze Germans at bike24
https://www.bike24.net/1.php?content=8; ... 81;mid=567" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:16 pm

I'm just wondering if any has tried using one of these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191252442264 ... 1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or similar?

I've a Primus Omnilite which can run on Propane/Butane.
I've so far bought the larger Primus bottles but wondered if having one of these items on board might offer an emergency option for fuel usage.
The Primus or MSR canisters seem to offer decent economy and heat output but aren't alway available in every location.
Never been a serious concern as I always have the Trangia onboard to utilise the cookware either way, with some metho.
The el-cheapo fly-spray-like canisters seem to be in many hardware stores and Big W/Kmart type establishments as well as out of the way IGA supermarkets.

I generally like to use Kero but have started thinking a little more about gas for fireban season.
This isn't about being a tightwad but more about exploring all options.
What says you? :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:31 am

I'm not sure how you see a gas stove being any better for use in fire bans. Certainly in Victoria, a total fire ban means no outdoor fuel-stove use at all, and a tent does not constitute 'indoors'. :?
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."