Dawes Appreciation Society

jools

Re: Dawes Appreciation Society

Postby jools » Mon May 27, 2013 2:15 pm

The postman brought Dawes goodness today! So tempted to rip it open but will wait till I get it home..

jools

Postby jools » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:14 pm

It's a miserable rainy day in sydney so I decided to do some test fittings with the Dawes frame with bits and pieces scavenged from other projects and bikes.

Here is the single speed version, with a wheelset from a charge plug and campy mirage crankset. The saddle and seatpost are borrowed from my repco superlight commuter and the bars are just some spares that were lying around. I think I have everything I need to put this together and start riding, but I'll need to make sure the brakes will reach the rims correctly.

This setup is what I originally had in mind - 27" alloy wheelset with a sturmey archer 5 speed hub and the Dawes cranks. The tyres are brand new, but basic gumwalls - with this build I would swap the tyres for the panaracer paselas currently on the superlight. To make this work I still need to source a few cable clips for the gear cables plus some bar-end shifters:

The other problem with this setup is the BB - I'm using a shimano UN26, 68mm with a 110mm axle. It works fine for the campy cranks but the dawes right crank slides on way too far and the ring bolts hit the chainstay.

Tried the campy crankset with the 27" wheels and I don't mind the look:

Love the forks too!

Here's the clearance I get with the campy crankset:

And the Dawes, with the ring bolts hitting the chainstay:

If I convert the Dawes crankset to a single ring with shorter ring bolts I could probably make it work. I have a feeling though that the BB is wrong for the crankset because the left crank seems to sit the same distance out for both the dawes and the campy crank, but the right side is very different. Maybe it needs a longer axle?

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:04 pm

A few weeks ago I finally finished restoring my Dawes Super Galaxy. The first ride was a 100km overnighter to Warburton and back along the rail trail, with part of the return journey following the aqueduct trail. It rode beautifully, and all of the frustrations that I have had with bike over the past year really only made the ride sweeter. The aluminium Bridgestone rack that I have for the bike didn't end up making the ride, as one of the M5 bolts had seized onto it and the head was rounded out, so I have no photos from the ride as I couldn't carry anything.
Curiously, the bike doesn't have any bottle mounts, I think I might have two tapped into the frame to make it better suited to longer rides. The Sugino SP-H seat post is also extended 2cm past the maximum, I knew this would be the case but appropriate 26.6 seat posts are not easy to come by.

Here's a few pictures anyway, the camera ran out of battery before I could get anything else in detail but it is running the original 1st Gen Suntour Cyclone drivetrain with TA Pro Vis 5 cranks, Phil Wood 1st Gen hubs onto Pacenti box section 700C rims (my 'upgrade' as original wheelset was left in Sydney), and original Weinmann levers and centrepull brakes. I would like to find a 70s GB bar and stem that was also original, they had a world map engraved into the flat section which you were meant to leave unwrapped, but the SR Randonneur's make a good alternative.

_MG_2187 by biekomelbourne, on Flickr

_MG_2190 by biekomelbourne, on Flickr

_MG_2196 by biekomelbourne, on Flickr

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:26 pm

Your Super Galaxy looks good lugnut, unusual that a touring bike doesn't have bottle braze-ons, my Shadow doesn't but it is a different sort of beast. I used a clamp on mount I bought off ebay, it didn't cost much and the only time it's moved was when I crashed it.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:10 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Your Super Galaxy looks good lugnut, unusual that a touring bike doesn't have bottle braze-ons, my Shadow doesn't but it is a different sort of beast. I used a clamp on mount I bought off ebay, it didn't cost much and the only time it's moved was when I crashed it.
Well that was what you got on production bikes in the UK during the 70's and early 80's. Minimum braze-ons with lots of after-market clamp=on stuff and centre-pull Weinmanns (which were actually pretty good!). Partly fashion and partly keeping costs down. Also a lot of tourists still used handlebar mounted bottles, however whether that was due to the lack of braze-ons I do not recall :wink:
Everything changed circa 1985/86 when British Eagle brought out a production full 531ST tourer with cantilevers, braze-on carrier bosses, a triple chainset and braze-on bottle cages (two IRRC) at a very competitive price - really put the cat amongst he pigeons.
Cheers
Richard

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:44 pm

I see you avoided the crank issue by going with something else.

Good job. Looks great. :D

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:49 pm

That does look very nice lugnut.

It's not a simple matter of getting bottle cage bosses tapped in, it's a brazing job so you'll need a new new paint job afterwards.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:10 pm

You can use rivnuts, but personally, I'd avoid drilling such a nice frame. It's only original once.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:12 pm

Nah! Easy! I'd only get 1 done, 2 would feel a little destructive.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:29 pm

LugNut wrote:A few weeks ago I finally finished restoring my Dawes Super Galaxy. The first ride was a 100km overnighter to Warburton and back along the rail trail, with part of the return journey following the aqueduct trail. It rode beautifully, and all of the frustrations that I have had with bike over the past year really only made the ride sweeter. The aluminium Bridgestone rack that I have for the bike didn't end up making the ride, as one of the M5 bolts had seized onto it and the head was rounded out, so I have no photos from the ride as I couldn't carry anything.
Curiously, the bike doesn't have any bottle mounts, I think I might have two tapped into the frame to make it better suited to longer rides. The Sugino SP-H seat post is also extended 2cm past the maximum, I knew this would be the case but appropriate 26.6 seat posts are not easy to come by.

Here's a few pictures anyway, the camera ran out of battery before I could get anything else in detail but it is running the original 1st Gen Suntour Cyclone drivetrain with TA Pro Vis 5 cranks, Phil Wood 1st Gen hubs onto Pacenti box section 700C rims (my 'upgrade' as original wheelset was left in Sydney), and original Weinmann levers and centrepull brakes. I would like to find a 70s GB bar and stem that was also original, they had a world map engraved into the flat section which you were meant to leave unwrapped, but the SR Randonneur's make a good alternative.

_MG_2187 by biekomelbourne, on Flickr

_MG_2190 by biekomelbourne, on Flickr

_MG_2196 by biekomelbourne, on Flickr
Looks good, buy man you must have long legs. It looks like you could go a frame that's 2" bigger.

Throw some shellac on the cotton tape. It will last a lot longer. I'm lucky to get 3 months out of non treated stuff before it wears away.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:30 pm

LugNut wrote:Nah! Easy! I'd only get 1 done, 2 would feel a little destructive.
Is that using RivNuts or are you tapping the tubing in those pictures? :?
Cheers
Richard

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:37 pm

rkelsen wrote:You can use rivnuts, but personally, I'd avoid drilling such a nice frame. It's only original once.
True, but I can't ride the thing without water. It takes a 26.6 seatpost, so there is plenty of meat to drill into. :lol:
I do have a handlebar bottle clamp, I'll give that a go first. It just seems even more out of place to have handlebar bottles on a late 70s machine...

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:42 pm

singlespeedscott wrote: Looks good, buy man you must have long legs. It looks like you could go a frame that's 2" bigger.

Throw some shellac on the cotton tape. It will last a lot longer. I'm lucky to get 3 months out of non treated stuff before it wears away.
:roll: The bane of my existence. I've adapted my riding style recently by trying to push my heels further down, that has allowed me to drop my saddle a cm or two since I set that saddle height. I'm not even that tall at 6' 1", but the 93cm inseam is a killer.

Thanks, I have some shellac in the shed, I'll give it a go.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:48 pm

3 coats with 24hrs between each coat will do the trick. Just be aware it will change the colour of the tape unless you have clear shellac.

Dropping your heals really isn't the answer. You'll end up pedaling with bandy legs as you get tired. What is your ideal saddle height?

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:52 pm

Well I guess it's your frame, so you can drill holes in it to you hearts content. Another alternative is some clamp on bottle cage mounts - there's a stack of them out there and 100% reversible :)

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:06 pm

No, you're probably right, when the drill is in my hand I don't think I could do it. The Dawes paint job is pretty bad, it's dull and thick and there are droplets in some places. I might get it re sprayed one day (it would look nice in British Racing Green), I'll think about getting some proper bottle and rack mounts brazed on when I do that.

Don't tell me that - I'm trying to kid myself that I can ride the 58cm captain position on the tandem! :lol: I did used to ride with my heels quite high as I tend to tense my achilles, and it actually feels quite good to drop my saddle slightly and let my heels sit flat or just below flat. I think I may have trained myself to ride with tense feet from riding in normal shoes on SPD pedals and doing stupid things like that. Ideal saddle height is 83cm I think? 63cm st + 15cm of seatpost and 5cm of saddle? Perhaps it is a little high in the photo.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:15 pm

there is a current discussion on how to attach water bottle cages when there are no existing mounts on the classic rendezvous list

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:24 am

A few more shots of my Dawes Super Galaxy, taken over the weekend in Red Hill, Victoria. A frame pump and Tubus rack added since last, and saddle and bar height are set properly. Fenders and wider tyres are incoming.
IMG_2230 by biekomelbourne, on Flickr

A 'barn door' shot. There was a barn door, I had to.

IMG_2218 by biekomelbourne, on Flickr

IMG_2215 by biekomelbourne, on Flickr

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:31 am

Also, pictures of my '80s Super Galaxy tandem incoming - I just have to choose some appropriate bar tape and get a few niggles sorted.

t-rav

Postby t-rav » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:53 am

My partner and I recently picked up a Kingpin. 85 I believe as it is stamped on the the sturmey archer hub. It is in lovely condition. I will try and post a picture soon.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:30 pm

Ha! Much cooler than a Raleigh Twenty. Pictures pictures!

munga

Postby munga » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:28 pm

LugNut wrote: Image
IMG_2218 by biekomelbourne, on Flickr
quoted for the barn door ;p

t-rav

Postby t-rav » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:31 pm

85 Kingpin

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:14 pm

And here it is in the 1984 Dawes catalogue :) I actually saw one of those Dawes rack bags for sale on ebay UK a while back, though it was quite tatty.

"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

jools

Postby jools » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:46 pm

Just arrived by courier (actually on thursday), the new commuter - a 2001 Dawes Audax. Needs a good service and wd40 bath to free up a stuck shifter. I'm surprised how light it is compared to the Apollo IV but I think a lot of that is from the wheel set. The paint is called Ardaznailz, which I think is english for 'powder coat'. There are no tubing stickers on it but apparently it's Reynolds 531.