Cyclist down NOR

CXCommuter

Cyclist down NOR

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:06 am

Saw a cyclist being attended to near Stirling City Council where you ride off Civic Parade back onto the dedicated PSP. Appeared to be a result of slippery surfaces (white road markings?). Hope the person involved was okay, was in a group and we all slowed down to ask if assistance was needed but was told everything was in hand.

rolandp

Re: Cyclist down NOR

Postby rolandp » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:41 am

I was the 4th person at this location this morning. There was a very confident lady ringing emergency etc (potentially from Osborne Park hospital from the way she responded), I left them after confirming they did not need any more help.

I don't know what happened, but it was no car involved.

It reminds me of same place, Feb 2013 Cyclist down. What is the criteria for Black Spots, in particular as this location is not a PSP, and when will one be built?

Should we be asking for federal funding, as the state has no plans for this location until Stirling Alliance is built (which decade?).

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:13 pm

I'm wary of the wheelchair raised circles rectangles at the other end of it on Cedric Street side, not sure if the same applies at the Civic Place side, but those painted raised dots with some dew look dicey, I've had the rear step out in the dry carrying some confidence on them (that was quickly shed).

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:44 pm

eldavo wrote:I'm wary of the wheelchair raised circles rectangles at the other end of it on Cedric Street side, not sure if the same applies at the Civic Place side, but those painted raised dots with some dew look dicey, I've had the rear step out in the dry carrying some confidence on them (that was quickly shed).
Yes, those plastic tactile squares with the raised circles are extremely easy to slip on given a bit of water. The same with metal surfaces, such as the join at the top of the Claisebrook Station ramp, I've seen some of those joins with anti-slip paint applied, makes a big difference.

ParkertR

Postby ParkertR » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:17 pm

Hope i'm not off topic... i went down along Lord street just last week on a straight... not sure if many of you cycle there... first time for me and i must have gone down on an oil patch of some sort. The location was just over the railway tracks heading south toward the river. Slid a long ways on the road :( there were people around and yet no one bothered to help me up which was quite disappointing.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:05 pm

Sorry to hear, was it in wet weather?
Like fruit salad people can be mixed, and rotten.
I had a motorcycle accident when car hit my bike in middle of Mill Point in front of BP/Windsor Hotel. Bike smashed into an upright position dead middle of intersection, traffic just kept on going in all lanes so it was only a barman who risked it with me to drag it to the verge. 7.30 on a Saturday night in fine weather. Possible fatal if I hadn't departed bike by luck before the impact, you have people around in cars with attitudes that you deserve what you get for being a risk taker, rather than a victim of someones negligence. You may have had them around you. Or they were all too busy with more self importance.

ParkertR

Postby ParkertR » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:13 pm

It was last tuesday - didn't expect the weather to turn foul. I actually stopped to wait for the rain to ease off then took to the road to get home. Traffic wasn't heavy but the road was a little wet, not soaking. Wheels just went down for no apparent reason. Rode to a bike store along albany (high way cycles i think) and the dude there patched me up, looked my bike over before i rode back home to my wife who'd been wondering why i'd taken so long on a morning ride.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:32 pm

Yeah that is bad luck, but the wet with invisible slick patches, dry weather high pressure skinny tyres, hidden road imperfections where the water fills and reflects off the light, just need to lose the front traction a bit to drop you in an instant, rear alone you have more chance but the front gets there first always so odds arent in favour of two inline wheels unfortunately. All bad factors for keeping shiny side up.

Dry spells with infrequent rain don't keep the roads clean. Start of winter they are slicker in wet than by end of winter also.
Per capita we had the oldest automobile population in the world at one time, we don't have roadworthy inspections...

ParkertR

Postby ParkertR » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:44 pm

have learned the hard way mate :) ride safe!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:11 pm

If you're riding 700x23C's, I've found Continental GP4000s perform pretty well in the wet.

ParkertR

Postby ParkertR » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:35 pm

trailgumby wrote:If you're riding 700x23C's, I've found Continental GP4000s perform pretty well in the wet.
I'm using those... haha... went down with those tyres on :(

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:36 pm

Urrrgh! You've definitely hit something slippy then :(

ParkertR

Postby ParkertR » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:45 pm

Certainly did... first time i've gone down like that. Slid about 15m down the road.

Going about 45 with very light rain
Lose my front wheel to the left
Endo'd
Slid on the road
Watched as bike started to sail over me
Reached out with left arm and grabbed top-tube of the bike
Slid somemore
Held bike on top of me
Let go of bike after a long slide
Got up with bike about a meter away from me
Grabbed bike, hobbled to side of road and checked myself then bike
Live to tell the tale...

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:22 am

Wow. Grabbing the top tube as you're sailing/skidding is some skill. Nice save of the bike. :)

ParkertR

Postby ParkertR » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:48 pm

@Summernight - was a brand new bike mate! finished building it just 2 days before the crash :( grabbing it was the first thing i thought of as it started sailing over me!

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:38 am

CXCommuter wrote:Saw a cyclist being attended to near Stirling City Council where you ride off Civic Parade back onto the dedicated PSP. Appeared to be a result of slippery surfaces (white road markings?). Hope the person involved was okay, was in a group and we all slowed down to ask if assistance was needed but was told everything was in hand.
No ambulance required for this one fortunately, posting as a reminder of the hazard in this weather, beware of cornering fast in the wet, bumpy or sandy can catch you out.

http://goo.gl/maps/9LgA0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Incident I witnessed about 50m in front of me, the two riders get onto the path from road and 2nd rider wiped out.
To naked eye at the time looked like as he tipped for the bend at speed it’s hit the solid white line that is raised and slippery, gone down on his left side.
He had arm/knee/face grazes but looked more of a slide off onto pavement/grass.
I was first there and he seemed to gather himself up OK so just checked his brakes/shifters and got the pump/chain back on, he seemed OK so left him to finish his ride to burn off the adrenalin.
The rider in front of him at the time came back and is the one holding the bike in frame, not sure if they knew each other as he rode off, possibly crashed rider was trying to keep up.
Fortunately I was wearing my first aid outfit and rode the electric ambulance bike today anticipating the bad weather.[/quote]

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:22 pm

they really need to get rid of that pole in the path there / make that turn from road to path more gradual.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:32 pm

What's with that skeleton kit....
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

Jackfrost

Postby Jackfrost » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:36 pm

archetuthus wrote:they really need to get rid of that pole in the path there / make that turn from road to path more gradual.
... or you could slow down. I know it will take 10 seconds off your journey but these are the 1st world issues we all have to deal with.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:13 pm

MarkG wrote:What's with that skeleton kit....
It's my Freaky Friday shirt, but I have tomorrow off ;)

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:29 pm

eldavo wrote:
MarkG wrote:What's with that skeleton kit....
It's my Freaky Friday shirt, but I have tomorrow off ;)
I love it. :)

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:12 pm

Jackfrost wrote:
archetuthus wrote:they really need to get rid of that pole in the path there / make that turn from road to path more gradual.
... or you could slow down. I know it will take 10 seconds off your journey but these are the 1st world issues we all have to deal with.
I do slow down because i know the risk on that bend - just think the path could be modified seeing as it comes off the back of the Stirling overpass bridge.

Jackfrost

Postby Jackfrost » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:31 pm

archetuthus wrote:
Jackfrost wrote:
I do slow down because i know the risk on that bend - just think the path could be modified seeing as it comes off the back of the Stirling overpass bridge.
So you've voiced your concerns with the relevant authority I take it?

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:46 pm

Jackfrost wrote:So you've voiced your concerns with the relevant authority I take it?
I thought you're the only relevant authority on cycle safety Jackfrost, so yes, he has :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:44 pm

archetuthus wrote:I do slow down because i know the risk on that bend - just think the path could be modified seeing as it comes off the back of the Stirling overpass bridge.
It has been raised before I am afraid (and discussed here IIRC). I suspect if you check the Green's Black Spot website it will show up there as well.

Citywomble is the man on this one. Maybe he can explain the reasoning behind it and/or why nothing has ever been done.

Andrew