MTB rims that suit ONLY Presta valves? -

Dragster1

Re: MTB rims that suit ONLY Presta valves? -

Postby Dragster1 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:41 pm

There is a large amount of pros and cons for both, a Schrader valve can hold in excess of 250psi, They use them in air conditioning and pressure vessel tanks where you have to use a compressor to pump air in them over liquid . No need for WWIII over a valve :wink: I think you better read this extract

Whereas Schrader valves are almost universal on car tyres, bicycle tubes have Dunlop, Schrader or Presta valves. Both the Schrader and the Presta types are good at sealing high pressures. Their chief differences are that Schrader valves are larger and have springs that close the valve except when the pin is depressed. Schrader valves are used in a wide variety of compressed gas and pressurized liquid applications.

Presta valve stems are 6mm diameter, whereas Schrader valve stems for bicycle tyres are 8mm, thus requiring a larger diameter hole in a bicycle rim. While not a concern on wider bike rims, it will weaken a narrow wheel rim, precluding their use on (road) racing bicycles. Another disadvantage of the Schrader is that the air chuck must depress the spring-loaded pin before air can flow during inflation, whereas the Presta valve relies solely on internal air pressure to keep it shut. This means that some air is lost while attaching and detaching pumps to Schrader valves, although this is usually nominal (most of the air which makes the "whooshing" noise when the pump is removed comes from the compressed air in the tube between the pump body and the attachment end, not the tyre via the momentarily-open Schrader valve). To fill up a bicycle tyre with a Presta-valved tube at a gas station requires an adaptor, while a Schrader-valved tube does not.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:48 pm

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:50 pm

Dragster1 wrote:There is a large amount of pros and cons for both, a Schrader valve can hold in excess of 250psi, They use them in air conditioning and pressure vessel tanks
Also, closer to home, frequently used on MTB air-sprung suspension.

Lower pressure suspension designs are becoming more popular in recent times, but ~10 years ago it was common to run ~200 psi in a suspension fork.

I've seen Schrader valves on fire extinguishers before now, too.

tim

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:50 pm

BUT I would Rather argue with this And Sorry Kiddies LOOK AWAY NOW!!!Image

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:53 pm

rkelsen wrote:
barefoot wrote:I've never had a problem with Schrader valves failing to hold pressure. Neither have about a billion car drivers.
I didn't say that Schraeder valves don't hold pressure... Just that Presta valves are better at it.

Car tyres are "super low pressure." You're comparing apples & oranges.
ORLY?

I run lower pressure in my MTB tyres than I do in my car tyres... ~30 psi vs ~40 psi.

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:28 pm

Dragster1 wrote:BUT I would Rather argue with this And Sorry Kiddies LOOK AWAY NOW!!!

wohahhh that diverted my attention .. thats for sure!!!!!!! holey crap!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
barefoot wrote:
DoubleSpeeded wrote:however, srilling may impede the resale of the rim right?
Rims have no resale value anyway. They're consumable. You're much more likely to destroy the rim in service than sell it.
tim
hmmm
well im guessing your talking about cheap rims...

like i said in another thread, ive got a set of: 2013 Reynolds Strike 66mm Full carbon wheelset for sale... ... well i better get some resale out of it!!!

same as the: FFWD 2013 carbon fibre Clincher DISC wheel aswell... if theres no resale... im spewing.

but i knwo someone will buy
Last edited by DoubleSpeeded on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:30 pm

well in regards to the Schrader vs Presta valve... according to the bike mechanic i spoke to a while ago said "Its not the valve that determines what pressures it holds.. its the tube quality.."

ive pumped up tubes on MTB with cheapie tubes that blew at 60psi

but as what a few has mentioned here... i personally have snapped a Presta valve too..

not the entire valve but that brass pin with the lock nut part..

i was in a rush and yanked the valve for the pump in an angle...because i hated the pressure loss when releasing so i did it as quick as possibly ...

it was slightly bent... and i think one more pump after that... it just snapped.

resulted in a new tube

i guess on the other hand, schrader wont have that problem.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:06 am

I beg to differ on the "presta valves hold air better" claim. If the nut on the tip is done up properly, the air retention is about the same. If the nut is not snugged down, air escape is most definitely more rapid than from a Schraeder valve.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:17 am

Schrader valves on MTB shocks hold air just fine. I hardly ever have to add air to my forks or rear shock and they are set at around 150psi. I put air in tyres at least monthly while the shocks often get to six months. It's the rubber in the tube that lets out most.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

TTar

Postby TTar » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:45 pm

bychosis wrote: I put air in tyres at least monthly while the shocks often get to six months. It's the rubber in the tube that lets out most.

Irregardless of wheel size and valve type, I've found the skinnier the tyre, the faster the tube deflates.

Let the debate begin... :|
Sent from my fortified compound

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:49 pm

TTar wrote:

Regardless
Fixed for you. No such word as "irregardless" exists.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

TTar

Postby TTar » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:56 pm

Duck! wrote:
TTar wrote:

Regardless
Fixed for you. No such word as "irregardless" exists.
Bloody well does too exist! It even has its own Wikipedia entry;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irregardless

This is a little of what wiki says;

"Irregardless is a word commonly used in place of regardless or irrespective..."

I think of it like this:
"regardless" is the Schrader valve.
"irrespective" is the Presta valve.
"irregardless" is the Dunlop valve.

We all have our preferences and we'll disagree from time to time, but my policy is "let a thousand flowers bloom".
Sent from my fortified compound

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Dragster1 wrote:BUT I would Rather argue with this And Sorry Kiddies LOOK AWAY NOW!!!Image
If ONLY I could be a seat for just one day!!!!!! :twisted:

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:00 pm

Dragster1 wrote: If ONLY I could be a seat for just one day!!!!!! :twisted:
Just as life deals out unfairness it would be the very day you win to be a saddle that my fat butt is parked on it...................... :twisted:

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:08 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:
Just as life deals out unfairness it would be the very day you win to be a saddle that my fat butt is parked on it...................... :twisted:
LOL! I suppose being a nice guy that I am I could put up with a Turkey slap or two as long as you don't fart and if you do fart, I would split in two and spike your butt that hard you would have to throw me away. As a reward I get two days with the young honey thou :wink:

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:39 pm

its just funny, it ACTUALLY took a FEW goes, in... flaunting that flamboyant woman on the bicycle to calm the waters

lol

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:01 pm

Dragster1 wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:
LOL! I suppose being a nice guy that I am I could put up with a Turkey slap or two as long as you don't fart and if you do fart, I would split in two and spike your butt that hard you would have to throw me away. As a reward I get two days with the young honey thou :wink:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:29 am

DoubleSpeeded wrote:Hi guys

ive just noticed my MTB rim only takes Presta as the schrader is too wide.

i dont think drilling it out a bit wider with a drill bit to suit a schader is a good idea.

now im limited to choices?
Might depend on the rim manufacturer but I have confirmation from Pro-Lite that you can drill out the MTB rims without effect on the warranty. I presume this would be acceptable with most other brands as well but maybe you should check with your wheel manufacturer first.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:01 pm

I run Schrader adaptors on all my bikes to hedge bets ... even my CF roadie. Very Fred! :smile: