The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

cp123

The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby cp123 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:19 am

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/forum ... 25#p637025" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sorry guys - I know it's a pilfer from another forum :oops: - but it might be of interest to folk here. I'm happy to know (not) that I'm a cockroach on wheels. I wonder as the poster in this thread proposes if that means on Monday morning the bogans will be out en masse.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-night/v ... road-wars/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rkelsen

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby rkelsen » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:22 pm

War on the Roads? Are they doing a story from Afghanistan?

Sounds like more sensationalist rubbish. The lesson here is simple, kids... Don't watch Channel 7. :idea:

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Every video there I saw car drivers breaking the road rules with dire results.

Several videos from the UK and at least one from America. Bit disingenuous of them.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:53 pm

"Your opinion may change after watching this Sunday Night investigation." - Hmm, more likely to be "Your narrow minded viewpoint may be reinforced". (and I say that for both sides of the "argument")

Engaging my usual Channel 7 rule.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:29 pm

I don't watch commercial television - so I will miss the lot.

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:31 pm

I can't believe the irresponsibility of such journalism... Well, is it journalism?? On second thoughts I can believe it.
Won't be watching, already makes me angry & it hasn't been on yet.

I wonder if it'll be fair... Hahaha.. I crack me up.

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:02 pm

I'm sure it will be fair and show "both sides" of the issue.. because they know both sides are equal troll bait for the other side.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:07 pm

so, we've already agreed that the story will stitch-up cyclists.

so tell me, who's going to win masterchef!? :)

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:42 pm

I'm sure glad my taxes have helped to keep Holden in business. :evil:

http://media.smh.drive.com.au/cars/car- ... 62946.html

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:19 pm

biker jk wrote:I'm sure glad my taxes have helped to keep Holden in business. :evil:

Nissan had to withdraw their ad with irresponsible driving - even though they argued no road rules were broken.

The Holden ad shows a driver breaking multiple road rules. If Holden really thinks a near death experience is
a fantasy, that's probably the kind of delusion that explains their present financial difficulties.

It will be an abomination if it continues to be aired. I've owned a couple of Holden's in my lifetime, but I can't
see that happening again.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:29 pm

wombatK wrote:
biker jk wrote:I'm sure glad my taxes have helped to keep Holden in business. :evil:

Nissan had to withdraw their ad with irresponsible driving - even though they argued no road rules were broken.

The Holden ad shows a driver breaking multiple road rules. If Holden really thinks a near death experience is
a fantasy, that's probably the kind of delusion that explains their present financial difficulties.
More importantly, what type of person fantasises about hurting somebody who did nothing to them? That would be ... psychopaths.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:03 pm

wombatK wrote:

It will be an abomination if it continues to be aired. I've owned a couple of Holden's in my lifetime, but I can't
see that happening again.
According to their facebook page apparently they have just got Michael Bay to redo the ad for them.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:06 pm

The advert is bad for a very boring and bland front drive car, but hold fire and don't wish for the death of Holden.

Their advert will be withdrawn eventually - they won't get away with it.

And remember some Holden workers might be cyclists too.

Cowcorner

Postby Cowcorner » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:04 pm

OK guys - I need some serious advice here. I hate to say it but I was one of those naive enough to provide some footage for this. One of the pieces I provided was my accident earlier this year that I specifically asked the producer not to run without clearing it with me first - the reason being that BV were still following this up with the police on my behalf (as their initial response was not to charge the driver). This footage has never been cleared by me but I have noticed it is being used in the promo. What are my options here?
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone

Marx

Postby Marx » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:06 pm

Slater & Gordon.
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:32 pm

Cowcorner wrote:OK guys - I need some serious advice here. I hate to say it but I was one of those naive enough to provide some footage for this. One of the pieces I provided was my accident earlier this year that I specifically asked the producer not to run without clearing it with me first - the reason being that BV were still following this up with the police on my behalf (as their initial response was not to charge the driver). This footage has never been cleared by me but I have noticed it is being used in the promo. What are my options here?
They'll probably try to claim fair use.

There is a lesson here - don't talk to the commercial media, you'll get burned.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:16 pm

Get your lawyer to send a threatening letter first thing tomorrow to Channel 7's general counsel warning them of consequences of disregarding your request. I assume you have an email trail as proof?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:19 pm

That said tabloid journalists of any flavour do not have the best reputation for integrity. Giving it to them in the first place was most unwise

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:47 pm

Cowcorner wrote:OK guys - I need some serious advice here. I hate to say it but I was one of those naive enough to provide some footage for this. One of the pieces I provided was my accident earlier this year that I specifically asked the producer not to run without clearing it with me first - the reason being that BV were still following this up with the police on my behalf (as their initial response was not to charge the driver). This footage has never been cleared by me but I have noticed it is being used in the promo. What are my options here?

I am pretty disgusted to see them promote this segment as "Cyclists are coackroaches of the Road" - a statement from Darren Hinch. While this is a statement true to the character, quality and class of Darren Hinch - it is pure sensationalism.

In your case Cowcorner, I agree with trailgumby and for them to publicise your footage without permission demonstrates the quality.
Cycling is in my BNA

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:02 pm

Doncha wonder where Darrens donor liver came from? I,ll bet someone he despises.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:03 pm

AUbicycles wrote:

I am pretty disgusted to see them promote this segment as "Cyclists are coackroaches of the Road" - a statement from Darren Hinch. While this is a statement true to the character, quality and class of Darren Hinch - it is pure sensationalism.

In your case Cowcorner, I agree with trailgumby and for them to publicise your footage without permission demonstrates the quality.
It's Derryn Hinch or should I say Hunch?

kx315

Postby kx315 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:08 pm

In the short term social media......Play them at there own game! Provided you have a paper or email trail take it further getting advise legally if you feel strongly enough.

I certainly would not trust any a-posing networks asking for your side of the story either :wink:
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:16 pm

Percrime wrote:Doncha wonder where Darrens donor liver came from? I,ll bet someone he despises.
Nah, it's much simpler than that : someone who didn't rot his liver with alcohol like he did ?
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:18 pm

Why was this music playing inside me head while watching that?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

mjmcmahon

Postby mjmcmahon » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:26 pm

Yeah, that preview ad sickens me. As someone who averages 10 hours a week on the bike (based on this year's stats, which is about 3 times as many hours as I drive mind you) I mostly live in fear of crazed motorists. It's probably too much to expect that because the ad mostly uses footage from cyclist's headcams it will be in any way optimistic towards us.
Never use your face as a brake pad. -Jake Watson