Pyrmont Bridge Restricted Access

Bevo

Pyrmont Bridge Restricted Access

Postby Bevo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:20 am

There was a sign on Pyrmont Bridge this morning saying there will be restriced access while the monorail is being removed, starting from 19 August. Don't know any more than that though I'm assuming that the bridge won't be blocked - just that there'll only be a norrow path to cross it.

find_bruce

Re: Pyrmont Bridge Restricted Access

Postby find_bruce » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:53 am

Anything you can do, I can do slower

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:07 pm

The first few days are mainly overnight work, the daytime stuff is scheduled to start at the end of the week and run through to October.

More info here

TTar

Postby TTar » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:00 pm

So what will it be like once the monorail track is gone, do we reckon?

Rode west over it late morning Wednesday, it seemed a little less chaotic than usual, but I contemplated those soon-to-be-gone columns as I rode and it struck me that they might actually serve as pedestrian calming devices. When I weaved my way through the melee, the most awkward bit was the section past where the columns end -- that's where pedestrinistas walk at every angle, direction and speed unimpeded by columns.

An ever so slightly elevated (like, an inch) bike path down the middle may be a low impact way of accommodating cyclists while not inconveniencing peds. Maybe have a corrugated surface either side of the path as well so that peds in a daze will look down and note they're about to cross a bike path and look left and right before plunging across.

Brilliant, eh?

Alert the relevant authorities!
Sent from my fortified compound

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:14 pm

Well they're talking about allowing pop-up cafes, so let's hope one doesn't shoot out of the ground as anyone's riding over.

TTar

Postby TTar » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:17 pm

gavinr wrote:Well they're talking about allowing pop-up cafes, so let's hope one doesn't shoot out of the ground as anyone's riding over.
:D

Cyclists being catapulted into the harbour would certainly be a very worthy addition to Sydney's cultural landscape, but once a pop-up cafe pops-up for the first time with people milling around all over the bridge and they come into conflict with cyclists, I bet it'll be bicycles that are deemed inappropriate for the bridge.

We might have to remind those concerned that Pyrmont Bridge is transport infrastructure and not a "public square" type space, like the sprawling acreage perfectly suited for things like pop-up cafes immediately below in Darling Harbour.

Polish your armour and remain ever vigilant, comrades.
Sent from my fortified compound

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:25 pm

Another round of work starts on Pyrmont Bridge today - the flier is here.

There will be reduced space on the bridge for pedestrians and cyclists due to construction hoardings.
Pedestrians and cyclists will need to take extra care and follow the signs and directions.
To ensure the safety of cyclists and pedestrians, during peak periods, cyclists may be asked to dismount in some work zones.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:48 pm

For reasons that escape me I rode across Pyrmont Bridge today - fencing is up around all of the moNOrail pylons & around the control shed that will be relocated. The width of the bridge is down ~50% for most of it's length will a real pinch point of ~30% width at the control shed.

I will be going back to ride via Goulburn St
Anything you can do, I can do slower