converting a braze on to a band on

jamesn184

converting a braze on to a band on

Postby jamesn184 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:09 am

Is it possible to convert a braze on sram f/d to a band on f/d?

Duck!
Expert

Re: converting a braze on to a band on

Postby Duck! » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:15 am

You can't convert the derailleur itself, but there are adaptors readily available such as this one:

SM-AD11 suits a 28.6mm seat tube, SM-AD15 is for 34.9mm tubes.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:45 am

As Duck wrote adaptors are available in different sizes. I use them on a couple of bikes. One Campag and one Shimano. Something to be aware of is the braze on derailleur may have a different shape to the interface of the adaptor. This is where you join the two together and tighten it with an allen head bolt. Take your derailleur with you to see how it fits or you may find it needs a fair bit of filing to get a proper fit. I'm not familiar with a SRAM FD shape so this may be academic.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:50 am

Uncle Just wrote:As Duck wrote adaptors are available in different sizes. I use them on a couple of bikes. One Campag and one Shimano. Something to be aware of is the braze on derailleur may have a different shape to the interface of the adaptor. This is where you join the two together and tighten it with an allen head bolt. Take your derailleur with you to see how it fits or you may find it needs a fair bit of filing to get a proper fit. I'm not familiar with a SRAM FD shape so this may be academic.
No, they're all the same.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:58 pm

Not in the case of one adaptor I bought several months ago to fit to a '93 Record FD. Much filing was needed to get a nice concave fit. OTH an IRD adaptor I purchased 5 years ago for a DA 7800 FD was easily fitted without any filing.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:51 pm

Uncle Just wrote:Not in the case of one adaptor I bought several months ago to fit to a '93 Record FD. Much filing was needed to get a nice concave fit. OTH an IRD adaptor I purchased 5 years ago for a DA 7800 FD was easily fitted without any filing.
That just sounds like an Italian thing to me, anybody who's owned a Lancia can back this up :wink:

My AD15/Tiagra unit took all of 10 minutes to bolt on and set up and that included finishing the coffee I took to the shed. :)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011