M7 Safety Alert Thread

gpilmer

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby gpilmer » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:46 pm

There was a herd of cows on the section between Elizabeth Drive and Cowpasture road on Sunday morning. I think they had strayed the from one of the local farms. It was quit a shock to find them there.

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:46 pm

They weren't kidding when they named it Cowpasture Road!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:36 pm

gpilmer wrote:There was a herd of cows on the section between Elizabeth Drive and Cowpasture road on Sunday morning. I think they had strayed the from one of the local farms. It was quit a shock to find them there.
Ah, so that's what it was! Believe me - I wasn't sucking anyone else's wheel. :lol: :shock:

There was certainly a lot of it. :shock: I could see a few narrow wheel tracks though some of it. :shock:

Normally I go charging up that Elizabeth Drive hill to get a nice run for the downhill section, but not on that Sunday - took it very easy.

zozza

Postby zozza » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:33 am

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:56 pm

This afternoon there was dirt on almost every bend and intersection on the path between Cowpasture Road and Benera Rd...might have been from those cows but more likely deliberately sprayed over the track by a trail bike from the look of it.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:32 pm

I think the cow dung is still there - but what you are describing sounds like from a dirt bike. I did 50km down to Prestons and didn't notice it in the morning (10:00am)

Mr.NiceGuy

Postby Mr.NiceGuy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:41 am

Hi Guys,
My first post on here, as a regular rider on the M7 it was frightening to read some of the older posts about the "man traps" as i have never come across personally to anything like that since I've started riding about year and half now, but good to see something being done about it. As for the cow manure i think its safe to say it has all dried up as i was riding over the weekend. I will keep an eye out for future safety hazards and report it. Thanks.

eon

Postby eon » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:36 pm

WARNING - 2 kids on M7 Cycle Path : on a motorised bike.

A mate faced these idiots this arvo and they jumped on the middle lane heading towards him, with the passengers hand stretched out at head height and pulled out last minute .... just missed him.

IDIOTS !!!!! :evil: :twisted:

Have asked him to report to MT Druitt police.
Stay safe pps.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:49 pm

Oooh, I saw a motorised one the other day that had one of those child tag-along trailers on it towing about a 8 y.o. on it.

josephk86

Postby josephk86 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:15 am

Saw a full sized trail bike on the cycleway on Saturday Morning, maybe 10:00am between the M4 and Elizabeth drive.

Other than that, great morning for a ride

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:15 pm

Watch your speed on the M7. A rider at Maccas Prestons mentioned Police are now enforcing the 30km/h speed limit on the M7 and that numerous cyclists had been stopped.

That's the end of our enjoyment. :( Reportedly a cyclist ran over an unrestrained dog that was out with a pedestrian and the pedestrian complained about it. That's just what I was told, so it may or may not be correct. Just use your judgement - and make sure you've got all your legally required bells, wheel reflectors and whatever else you need - just in case.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:03 pm

g-boaf wrote:Watch your speed on the M7. A rider at Maccas Prestons mentioned Police are now enforcing the 30km/h speed limit on the M7 and that numerous cyclists had been stopped.

That's the end of our enjoyment. :( Reportedly a cyclist ran over an unrestrained dog that was out with a pedestrian and the pedestrian complained about it. That's just what I was told, so it may or may not be correct. Just use your judgement - and make sure you've got all your legally required bells, wheel reflectors and whatever else you need - just in case.
So, is it ok to run over unrestrained dogs as long as you are riding under 30km/h?
Unless the path is signposted with 30km/h speed limit signs, the default speed limit for a road related area applies, which for some sections of the M7 might actually be 100km/h, depending on whether the section is classified as a built-up area or not. As a motorway there is no system of street lights (do the path lights count?), and there no buildings adjacent to it where cars can enter from. Certainly in the suburban sections it would likely be a 50km/h limit, but get further south and I am sure some sections would meet the definition of a non built-up area, thus a 100km/h limit.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:16 pm

There are 30km/h signs but they are not normal speed limit signs, just more of a general information board. Most of the time I'm under 30km/h except for the quicker downhill sections. In any case - I'm ever vigilant.

That's better than going draconian and ruining a very damn good bit of infrastructure. If a mandatory 30km/h limit occurs, I'd be just a ready to just suggest the whole thing be ripped up and destroyed. :x Very annoyed if this is for real.

bollo

Postby bollo » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:20 pm

sounds like a bit of a g up to me , bikes don't have calibrated speedo's so how can you really know how fast your going ? sure gps is great but there not factory fitted by any means & not all have them , i'll ask my brother inlaw next time i see him he is a cop
2013 Cube Lightning HPC SL Race
2012 Merida Scultura Evo 905

TimW

Postby TimW » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:34 pm

cmon guys, as i said in the other thread on this, don't react to hearsay, and he said she said chinese whispers, it's the quickest way to distort the facts.

leximack

Postby leximack » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:35 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sounds like alot of BS to me, but just incase please keep below 30km/h especially on strava segments that i have top positions on. That is all :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:58 pm

leximack wrote: sounds like alot of BS to me, but just incase please keep below 30km/h especially on strava segments that i have top positions on. That is all
Love it.

But just in case you have ambitions on Don's KOM's, and the plods happen to stop you, perhaps it'd be worth asking if the M7 cycleway
is a proclaimed dog off-leash area. Might be time to file a counter-complaint and request some enforcement action from plods.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:41 am

wombatK wrote:
leximack wrote: sounds like alot of BS to me, but just incase please keep below 30km/h especially on strava segments that i have top positions on. That is all
Love it.

But just in case you have ambitions on Don's KOM's, and the plods happen to stop you, perhaps it'd be worth asking if the M7 cycleway
is a proclaimed dog off-leash area. Might be time to file a counter-complaint and request some enforcement action from plods.

Cheers
Exactly! Plus I haven't seen Police on roadies, only MTBs. If you can't out sprint one you're not trying hard enough :-D.

Cheers, Simon
Sent from my mApple myPad using Tapatalk HD
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:01 am

leximack wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sounds like alot of BS to me, but just incase please keep below 30km/h especially on strava segments that i have top positions on. That is all :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stuff that! :twisted: I'm just starting to get quicker. :wink:

The Police I've seen on MTBs - they wouldn't have a hope of catching us lot. ;)

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:54 am

Especially while we're KOM hunting along 'Shut Up Legs'!!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:56 am

I'll easily burn them off after shutting up the legs! ;)

I'll admit I've not really focused on any particular segment on there - just interested in a good average speed.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:00 pm

g-boaf wrote: The Police I've seen on MTBs - they wouldn't have a hope of catching us lot. ;)
I'm not so sure of that - they're pretty damned fit guys, and if memory serves me right,
one of them who turned up on BNA for a while was a racer. Might be a challenge worth watching -
police on MTB v's g-boaf.

In any case, occasionally, the police patrol on trail bikes to round up the kids and others
on illegal motor cycles (including the Kmart bike+2 stroke brigade). So there's other ways
it might be policed.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

TimW

Postby TimW » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:18 pm

Brendancg was his nick i think, he is up at coffs harbour now.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:09 pm

wombatK wrote:
g-boaf wrote: The Police I've seen on MTBs - they wouldn't have a hope of catching us lot. ;)
I'm not so sure of that - they're pretty damned fit guys, and if memory serves me right,
one of them who turned up on BNA for a while was a racer. Might be a challenge worth watching -
police on MTB v's g-boaf.

In any case, occasionally, the police patrol on trail bikes to round up the kids and others
on illegal motor cycles (including the Kmart bike+2 stroke brigade). So there's other ways
it might be policed.

Cheers
I didn't say all of them. And I'm not racing anyone. Sorry to spoil the fun. :|

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:39 am