What Have I Gotten Myself Into

ausfiregirl

What Have I Gotten Myself Into

Postby ausfiregirl » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:32 am

Morning All...

After years of watching cyclists have what seemed to be oodles of fun, I bit the bullet not so long ago and went to my LBS and was fitted for a road bike (with the intention of undertaking a massive 200km ride in the Ride to Conquer Cancer next year) - eep this thing is huge and there's nothing of it!

I love the bike (I think) and have LOTS to learn - what equipment do I need, where can I buy plus size padded knicks (I'm a 20-22 in normal clothes), what brand of padded knicks have people found best (and yes I know like a saddle, it can be a very personal choice - I just need a start point). Gloves, holy moly - after kissing the concrete my first (and so far only ride) I realise the importance of gloves. Gears - who in their right mind invented those things :shock: ??

Last time I rode, I was a svelte, fit teenager - I didn't need gears (I don't think my bike had any to be honest). After my first ride my tailbone (I think it's my tailbone) ached like a *&^(! which I put down to biting off too big a ride too soon and potentially improper posture, but a week after, it hurts to sit upright on my dining room chairs and even my cars (the only comfortable position is leaning slightly forwards like I would on my bike).

I know my LBS can give me all this advice too, they're great and about to get a visit this morning but I thought I'd stop in and say hi!

ball bearing

Re: What Have I Gotten Myself Into

Postby ball bearing » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:30 am

My wife would recommend that you replace your saddle with a Sella Italia Diva.

http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod56155" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jimbobtwoshoes

Postby Jimbobtwoshoes » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:14 pm

http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has a bit of plus sized gear for men and women, I have bought a few things from there and it has all been rather good quality so far. I hope that helps

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:25 pm

Welcome ausfiregirl. Can't help you too much other than to say it gets easier the more you do it. The longer you spend in the saddle, the less it will hurt. But sit on a comfortable seat and wear padded nicks.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:58 pm

In short a whole lot of fun! :D

I'm assuming that you've had a decent bike fit, if after riding your bike a few times the saddle is still causing pain and discomfort I'd be swapping it out for something else that suits.
Many bike shops have a try before you buy test saddle...and ask for recommendations too, I think Specialized do some awesome ladies saddles, I've had one for a couple of years now on two different frames and it suits me!

Ease into increasing your k's per ride, 12 months is plenty of time to ensure that you can do 2x100 rides in one weekend!

Re larger Knicks, not sure locally but Team Estrogen in the US stock plus sizes from memory.

Gears, yup, I never had any when I rode as a kid and they did take me a bit to get used to....just use them it makes riding easier, change earlier on the ups so you keep spinning the pedals at a decent rate....

If there is a beginners ride or group then join in, those group rides are set up for people starting out and are usually very encouraging.
Good luck with it all and welcome. 8)
Lisa

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:19 am

Where are you Ausfiregirl?

If you are in Melbourne check out Wheel Women /

If you are in the inner west of Sydney, you are welcome to ride with my club, Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club on Saturday Slowieswhich would be suitable.

I'm sure others can suggest entry level rides for you depending on where you live.

I encourage you to ride with others because that's a great way to learn more about the bike, work out what's normal.

A sore bum gets less sore the more you ride. If I had 6 weeks off the bike I'd feel sore. It goes away quickly, but do get some padded nicks because that helps.

And good on you for setting yourself a goal. 200km is definitely achievable and you'll be so proud of yourself. It'll change your life.

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:20 pm

ball bearing wrote:My wife would recommend that you replace your saddle with a Sella Italia Diva.

http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod56155" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I second that recommendation. Great saddle. Also cheaper from this link is broken... :D

marnie&matt

Postby marnie&matt » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:03 pm

I hear your pain.

I had been travelling well although with pain until last week and all of a sudden out of nowhere the pain became like being knifed in the sit bones. To say I limped home was an understatement after 2 days it didn't go away. I went for a ride on the 3rd day but the memory so strong and the bones still sore that I worried the whole ride and didn't enjoy myself.. I've now been off the bike for 3 days. I'm keen again but hesitant.

I have the Specialized Jett gel seat. I think it's good but? I wonder if I need to try another seat. So thanks for your post. I will be following your trials seat wise. Please write reports on all your experiences.

Thanks
Marnie