Safe route Redcliffe - Nambour

Ryanricardfth

Safe route Redcliffe - Nambour

Postby Ryanricardfth » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:23 am

Hey I am wishing to take on a ride from Redcliffe - Nambour however I am uncertain or a safe route on the way up.
Has anybody ridden anything similar? I was trying to look at maybe doing old gympie road however that seems to have dirt/gravel sections. Would my road bike be okay for those?
Can't figure out a way around Beerburrum rd either does not look like anything i'd ever want to ride on
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

ldrcycles

Re: Safe route Redcliffe - Nambour

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:24 am

I can't comment on the more southern sections, not being familiar with that area, but unless you're going to be riding early morning or in the dead of night stay well away from Steve Irwin Way, particularly the section between Landsborough and Beerwah. There is absolutely no shoulder at all on that section, the surface is in bad condition and you need nerves of steel to ride big enough to get drivers to pass safely.

The only safe way I can see is to follow Old Gympie Rd to Beerwah, Old Landsborough Rd to Landsborough (though that is not a great road, but at least has a lot less traffic than Steve Irwin Way), Tunnel Ridge Rd to Mooloolah then up through Eudlo to Nambour. The problem that i'm aware of with that is that both Tunnel Ridge Rd and the road up through Eudlo are very hilly and have some tough climbs, it's hard going. And then of course Nambour isn't particularly enjoyable to ride unless you enjoy hills and/or are fast enough to keep away from the profusion of tradies and bogans.

As far as gravel roads, so long as they aren't rutted or overly rocky your road bike should be fine but your average speed will be a LOT lower, and from my experience with riding gravel your tyres will wear a heck of a lot faster.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:37 am

Hey. I've done it before.

Have a read of this thread.

viewtopic.php?t=53911" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm yet to go via mt Mee, but I imagine that'd be the way to go re: scenery and low traffic.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:42 am

You left out some hurt also Jacob. :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:31 am

Back when the Noosa Century ride started in Brisbane the route took roads around the back of the Glasshouse Mountains to Palmwoods. From there it's but a hop, skip and jump to Nambour.

You should be able to find the route on Bikely.

Found a link for you.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/US ... sa-Century
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:22 pm

RonK wrote:Back when the Noosa Century ride started in Brisbane the route took roads around the back of the Glasshouse Mountains to Palmwoods. From there it's but a hop, skip and jump to Nambour.

Found a link for you.

Good god, that's the first time I've actually seen that route, I never knew it went over Kiel Mountain, that would have been brutal!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:36 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
RonK wrote:Back when the Noosa Century ride started in Brisbane the route took roads around the back of the Glasshouse Mountains to Palmwoods. From there it's but a hop, skip and jump to Nambour.

Found a link for you.

Good god, that's the first time I've actually seen that route, I never knew it went over Kiel Mountain, that would have been brutal!
Yes, at around 100km too - just when the legs started to tire. There were a lot of walkers.
But no need for the OP to worry - he won't have to cross Kiel Mountain.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Ryanricardfth

Postby Ryanricardfth » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:17 pm

thanks for the replies everybody, will definitely be doing both of them.
those gravel roads look like quite fun.
same with the scenic way over mee and peachester.
I got to check out kiel mountain too

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:05 pm

Ryanricardfth wrote:Hey I am wishing to take on a ride from Redcliffe - Nambour however I am uncertain or a safe route on the way up.
Has anybody ridden anything similar? I was trying to look at maybe doing old gympie road however that seems to have dirt/gravel sections. Would my road bike be okay for those?
Can't figure out a way around Beerburrum rd either does not look like anything i'd ever want to ride on
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
http://www.queenslandrail.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's really a pain of a way to get there. Nothing great really. As what has been said before I'd nail it out west just to avoid that crap bit of the Steve Irwin Highway. Its great for a while but then that spacy shoulder vanishes and you have to cope with the stupid 100kph traffic.