Insect inhaling (sometimes unavoidable)

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
marty_one

Insect inhaling (sometimes unavoidable)

Postby marty_one » Mon May 13, 2013 4:04 pm

Hi, on my commute to and from work there is a 10km wide bush area that I have to ride through (either by road or bike track). The insects in this area tend to hang around the road/bike track and usually very hard to see. I have noticed lately that when I accidentally inhale one of these critters the back of my throat/chest area (after a few days) starts making me cough up yellow/green flem. Is this normal or would it be more of a thing to speak with a doctor about?
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

Tornado

Re: Insect inhaling (sometimes unavoidable)

Postby Tornado » Mon May 13, 2013 5:07 pm

I had a nasty chest infection not long after inhaling a few last year. I honestly don't know if it was connected or not, but I can't rule it out with my limited medical knowledge.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon May 13, 2013 6:00 pm

Havent had any go past the nasal cavity or back of the throat thank heavens but i'd suggest wearing a filter mask if its a daily occurrence.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Tue May 14, 2013 7:36 am

See: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=57985" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

p.s. I changed my route.

Gerry.M

Postby Gerry.M » Tue May 14, 2013 7:55 am

Soon you'll be sucking them in by the gobful as they'll be the new fashion food...
http://www.theage.com.au/world/bugs-are ... 2jijt.html

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Tue May 14, 2013 9:35 am

Thanks for the link thomashouseman the last entry in that thread was probably the most useful. I tried to search for an existing topic but must not have been using the right search words. The thing that has pissed me off the most about this, is that I only just recovered from a 2 month bout of illness about 2 weeks ago and was starting to get back into my cycling, running and swimming. Probably doesnt help that I have had to use public (virus) transport to get to/from work. Ah well the joys of working in the city.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012

Farmer Elvis

Postby Farmer Elvis » Wed May 15, 2013 7:19 pm

Can't remember inhaling insects on a bike ride, but have inhaled many flies in a days work in summer, not a nice experience often vomit etc but never a chest infection.

ILMB

Postby ILMB » Sun May 19, 2013 3:58 pm

Anything foreign that ends up in the lungs is potentially life-threatening.

My dad died earlier this year due to ingested pneumonia. Swallowed some lunch the wrong way and was already on the critcal list by the next morning.

The fact that a foreign body in the lungs is actually causing a phlegmy discharge must be checked out by a GP.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Sun May 19, 2013 6:38 pm

Eeek!
Thanks for the warning!

Sorry about your loss. That's sucky...

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Wed May 22, 2013 10:35 am

I got to the doctors last night and they said that it is actually quiet difficult for a foreign object to make its way into the lungs and block the bronchial tubes in the lungs. If something did make its way into the lung, the body can't actually get rid of it and a doctor/surgeon would have to do an extraction.

With my original post about the yellow/green phlegm, looks like its related to an ongoing illness that I have been suffering through. So much fun having a multitude of illnesses for the last 2.5 months. Back on the anit-botics again and off for a chest x-ray just to make sure there is nothing else going on. :(
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:39 pm

marty_one wrote:I got to the doctors last night and they said that it is actually quiet difficult for a foreign object to make its way into the lungs and block the bronchial tubes in the lungs. If something did make its way into the lung, the body can't actually get rid of it and a doctor/surgeon would have to do an extraction.

With my original post about the yellow/green phlegm, looks like its related to an ongoing illness that I have been suffering through. So much fun having a multitude of illnesses for the last 2.5 months. Back on the anit-botics again and off for a chest x-ray just to make sure there is nothing else going on. :(

I'm glad I read this post.

It's made me wary of the potential problem.

Thanks

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:13 pm

I swallow lots of bugs as I ride, It just happens. The worst I had was when a bug went into my eye and it stung so bad I had pull over and use half of my water bottle to flush it out. I always wear glasses now even if it's just 5 min down the road.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:34 pm

Sorry to hear about your dad Marty. :(

+1 for wearing glasses. I don't leave home without them.

Have inhaled bugs a few times fortunately they got stuck up my nose. not pleasant blowing wings body bits and legs out.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:53 pm

Just recovering from a chest infection myself. Was in bed for a full week, on !!! Spammer !!!. Doctor took a sample of the yellow/green sputum I was coughing up. I went back after the antibiotics ran out, just as the results came back. Infection was related to influenza, with !!! Spammer !!! a sub-optimal treatment, so I am some more powerful stuff (!!! Spammer !!! Duo Forte), which is basically penicillin. The yellow/green crap is now gone and I am just coughing up clear stuff. 6 more days of drugs to go.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

petie

Postby petie » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:11 pm

marty_one wrote:I got to the doctors last night and they said that it is actually quiet difficult for a foreign object to make its way into the lungs and block the bronchial tubes in the lungs. If something did make its way into the lung, the body can't actually get rid of it and a doctor/surgeon would have to do an extraction.

Qft, the first paragraph. Extraction=bronchoscopy.

Pretty hard for anything to get right through into your lungs. Happens in older people or intoxicated people due to a depressed cough reflex most often. Maybe a mild immune response in your upper airways if it had something nasty on it before you coughed it up?