The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby Dragster1 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:31 pm

Whose is Derelict Hinch to talk, he was a bad drunk that most likely drove drunk on many occasions.
User avatar
Dragster1
 
Posts: 971
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:46 pm
Location: Eluding motorist in Brisbane

by BNA » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:01 pm

BNA
 

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby skull » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:01 pm

g-boaf wrote:
I'm Sydney - and it happens here too. I don't say much about it as it is just accepted and that's the way it is. Otherwise you become the proverbial Lycra wearing pansy cyclist with a deluded sense of entitlement.


I have lived and done a fair bit of riding in Sydney, Brisbane, Townsville, Mt Isa, Darwin, Melbourne, Hobart and ACT.

By far the most aggressive drivers to cyclists was in Brisbane, then followed by Townsville.

Edit I had also been to Adelaide recently for work and took my bike that was ok/
User avatar
skull
 
Posts: 1665
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby wombatK » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:12 pm

Dragster1 wrote:Whose is Derelict Hinch to talk, he was a bad drunk that most likely drove drunk on many occasions.

He was a hopeless alcoholic who pickled his liver (i.e. advanced cirrhosis of the liver). It developed into liver cancer, and he
lives and breathes only by the good grace of a liver donor and doctors that rescued him from his self-inflicted harm.

You wonder how many near death experiences it takes to humble a man to the point where he might show a little more
compassion to others in return for the good graces others have shown him. The liver donor's family might fairly wonder
whether their gift might have been better spent on a more deserving patient.

Unless, of course, he's been terribly misquoted in the promo.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5203
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby jcjordan » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:13 pm

Got told this morning that a interview that I provided to an ABC reporter here in Canberra was used in the promo.

Not happy as I did not give permission for them to share with the less reputable commercial channels. If this is the case and it's taken out of context the ABC can expect a formal complaint.

I will be the Diamond Cycle Tours kit representing the ACTVETS

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home
jcjordan
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:58 pm

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby roller » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:51 pm

"cockroaches on wheels"

that was my takeaway from the promo which was shown lots of times during the footy last night.

so i won't be watching, it will be like the news.com.au comment section come to life.

though i have to say derrin hinch is a curious choice, i would have thought there's not many people left in Australia who would want to identify with his views. having him speak on behalf of the anti cyclist brigade could actually be a subtle form of sabotage on the part of the producers.
Image
User avatar
roller
 
Posts: 1542
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: embleton

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby queequeg » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:52 pm

roller wrote:"cockroaches on wheels"

that was my takeaway from the promo which was shown lots of times during the footy last night.

so i won't be watching, it will be like the news.com.au comment section come to life.

though i have to say derrin hinch is a curious choice, i would have thought there's not many people left in Australia who would want to identify with his views. having him speak on behalf of the anti cyclist brigade could actually be a subtle form of sabotage on the part of the producers.


all the associated promo footage was of motorists doing stupid things, so assume the comment "cockroaches on wheels" must refer to motorists :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 2819
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby InTheWoods » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:08 pm

One of the first (or 1st story) on ch7 news was about the truck turnover accident and it was reasonable, even said cycling was good for you and reduced traffic congestion. I wonder if the war part has been cancelled for now. Is it meant to be on the news or Sunday night?
Image
User avatar
InTheWoods
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby human909 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:16 pm

InTheWoods wrote:One of the first (or 1st story) on ch7 news was about the truck turnover accident and it was reasonable, even said cycling was good for you and reduced traffic congestion. I wonder if the war part has been cancelled for now. Is it meant to be on the news or Sunday night?


That is local news. Not linked to the Sunday night program.
human909
 
Posts: 4773
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 am

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby briztoon » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:29 pm

The news article included the positive benefits cycling has for the rider and community.

I do not expect the the program tonight to be anything other than a wind up piece to stir the pot.
Image
briztoon
 
Posts: 1236
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:15 am
Location: Belmont, Brisbane

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:30 pm

They'll still air it. I want to hear what Skaife has to say. Yes he might be a bit of a car head so to say :lol: :lol: but he does have some interesting views and logical reasoning. Cycling is also a very popular method in keeping fit in the whole motor racing industry. I remember him wanting a higher speed limit on certain parts of freeways/highways where it was safe to do so and lowering the speed limit in other areas. I find it just stupid that high quality roads like the 8 lane highway between Brisbane and the Gold Coast are 100-110kph while a shithole of a road like the Steve Irwin Highway with no shoulders, pot holes and 1 lane in each direction that cyclists are forced to use still has a 100kph speed limit.
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2217
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:50 pm

We may be surprised judging from some of @humanheadline's tweets today. Yes he and Skaife argue, so you'd expect that with so many SuperV8 drivers including serious road cycling as part of the training program's that Mark would be pro-cycling, and you'd expect Derryn hasn't thrown a leg over anything that moves for years. However, Mark Skaife has very firm and sometimes embarrassing views on things, and he also has a mouth (like mine) to match. These from Derryn on Twitter recently:
"The ‘cockroaches’ are those selfish bleeps who run red lights, think road rules don’t apply to them. Wait until SN goes to air."
And:
"Hope the Twitter bombers who want me dead at least watch the Sunday Night story on cyclists. Will respond to hysteria on blog tomorrow."
It seems that Derryn may not be tarring all of us with that beard.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:54 pm

wombatK wrote:
Dragster1 wrote:Whose is Derelict Hinch to talk, he was a bad drunk that most likely drove drunk on many occasions.

He was a hopeless alcoholic who pickled his liver (i.e. advanced cirrhosis of the liver). It developed into liver cancer, and he
lives and breathes only by the good grace of a liver donor and doctors that rescued him from his self-inflicted harm.

You wonder how many near death experiences it takes to humble a man to the point where he might show a little more
compassion to others in return for the good graces others have shown him. The liver donor's family might fairly wonder
whether their gift might have been better spent on a more deserving patient.

Unless, of course, he's been terribly misquoted in the promo.

Cheers


Hinch is bitter and twisted with a curious entitlement mentality and seems to think everyone is out to get him, so he overcompensates for it with an ultra aggressive attitude that just makes him less credible.

I'm not normally mean, but how is it that so many good people are taken away and yet that prickly character is still around. :( When will he change?

I don't mind tarring journos because I hate them - what you tell them and what they report is often quite different. Never trusted any of them - never will. A few of you here seem to have been burned. :(
Last edited by g-boaf on Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
g-boaf
 
Posts: 3929
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:56 pm

They just make the ads like that so more people watch. Many time the ad is nothing like what they show.

I will watch just to see if that's the case.
User avatar
Mugglechops
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:51 pm
Location: Shoalhaven

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby Kraeg » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:21 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:These from Derryn on Twitter recently:
"The ‘cockroaches’ are those selfish bleeps who run red lights, think road rules don’t apply to them. Wait until SN goes to air."


Ahhh, so he is referring to both cyclists and motorists.
Kraeg
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby Mustang » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:38 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:They'll still air it. I want to hear what Skaife has to say. Yes he might be a bit of a car head so to say :lol: :lol: but he does have some interesting views and logical reasoning. Cycling is also a very popular method in keeping fit in the whole motor racing industry. I remember him wanting a higher speed limit on certain parts of freeways/highways where it was safe to do so and lowering the speed limit in other areas. I find it just stupid that high quality roads like the 8 lane highway between Brisbane and the Gold Coast are 100-110kph while a shithole of a road like the Steve Irwin Highway with no shoulders, pot holes and 1 lane in each direction that cyclists are forced to use still has a 100kph speed limit.

Amen to that, we have to ride Steve Irwin at times :x
Image
User avatar
Mustang
 
Posts: 1366
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:20 am
Location: Little Mountain Q

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:40 pm

Lukeyboy wrote: I find it just stupid that high quality roads like the 8 lane highway between Brisbane and the Gold Coast are 100-110kph while a shithole of a road like the Steve Irwin Highway with no shoulders, pot holes and 1 lane in each direction that cyclists are forced to use still has a 100kph speed limit.


And that it's ok for cyclists to use SIW where several riders have been killed, but the highway between Cooroy and Yandina which is much safer and has a lot less traffic is prohibited :evil: .
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 6529
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby BianchiCam » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:37 pm

Nothing new there
User avatar
BianchiCam
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:42 am
Location: Mt Martha, Vic

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby mattwilkinson » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:37 pm

Hmm, Although there were still some negative comments that wasn't the usual, Cyclist need to be on footpaths type of news report... Should have showed more footage of incidents though
Image
User avatar
mattwilkinson
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:32 pm
Location: Bendigo, Victoria

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby jcjordan » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:38 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:They'll still air it. I want to hear what Skaife has to say. Yes he might be a bit of a car head so to say :lol: :lol: but he does have some interesting views and logical reasoning. Cycling is also a very popular method in keeping fit in the whole motor racing industry. I remember him wanting a higher speed limit on certain parts of freeways/highways where it was safe to do so and lowering the speed limit in other areas. I find it just stupid that high quality roads like the 8 lane highway between Brisbane and the Gold Coast are 100-110kph while a shithole of a road like the Steve Irwin Highway with no shoulders, pot holes and 1 lane in each direction that cyclists are forced to use still has a 100kph speed limit.


Personally I would like to see many of the current roads which have speeds above 90 reduced.

Australian's have poor driver training and many drive vehicles which do not have the appropriate mechanical maintenance to drive safely at 50 km/hr let alone 100

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home
jcjordan
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:58 pm

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby beanspropulsion » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:40 pm

Actually pleasantly surprised, seemed to be weighted towards the human impact of damage to cyclists over motorists.

Derryn Hinch is a "MERCHANT BANKER" but, plus they didn't answer the old furphy of "cyclists don't pay rego etc", oh yeah and Derryn Hinch is a "MERCHANT BANKER".
User avatar
beanspropulsion
 
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:27 pm
Location: Northside Brisbane

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby DavidS » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:51 pm

I just wish someone had asked the obvious question about bike rego: who's going to fund it? 'Cos it sure as hell would run at a loss.

DS
Image

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
User avatar
DavidS
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:24 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:53 pm

beanspropulsion wrote:Derryn Hinch is a "MERCHANT BANKER" but, plus they didn't answer the old furphy of "cyclists don't pay rego etc", oh yeah and Derryn Hinch is a "MERCHANT BANKER".


I think you must have mis-heard that. They were actually saying "Derren Hinch is an urgent w******" :twisted:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18265
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby Philipthelam » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:59 pm

they seemed to just take a lot of footage from the UK's war on the roads program
Philipthelam
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:10 pm

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby schroeds » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:15 pm

Well, that was 90% sympathetic to cyclists....amazing. I'd say we won that round. Very uncomfortable being called a cockraoch by that creep Hinch. But I reckon he just came across like the one-eyed noise maker he is

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian
User avatar
schroeds
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:58 pm

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby briztoon » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:17 pm

I wasn't particularly impressed with the part on cycling in the UK and the vigilantism angle. Half the UK clips showed a cyclist doing something stupid and putting them self in a dangerous situation. If they wanted to go overseas, show how it can be done positively.
Image
briztoon
 
Posts: 1236
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:15 am
Location: Belmont, Brisbane

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], duncan16v, find_bruce, gossy, InTheWoods, MisuVir, Tony6463



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit