When will M2 reopen...

DoubleSpeeded

Re: When will M2 reopen...

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:59 pm

queequeg wrote:
DoubleSpeeded wrote:Enjoy it while it lasts people

Kellyville North is the new suburb ... and there is 25 ACRES sold to Developers by ZARZAR Development property.. (thats a whopping 101,171.41sq Metres).. thats estimated 200 homes.

=(
200 homes (AT) 4 people per home is only 800 people. That is not that much, maybe one street lined with houses.

How long before the Schofields (long abandoned) Airport gets reclaimed like happened to Hoxton Park a few years ago.

yeah but that Scholfields EST 20,000 homes?.....

average house has 2 cars... thats 40,000 cars... Windsor Road for e.g from james Ruse Drive past seven hills is already a nightmare after 2:30pm... imagine the devastation

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:20 pm

I am going to update wikpedia Bike Paths in Sydney re the M2. Does this reflect the current status of this sorry saga ? Anything you would add re exit and entry points.
Cyclists have been poorly treated on the M2 Hills Motorway, between North Ryde and Seven Hills. The M2 does not have a separate cycle lane or path. Instead cyclists are expected to use the breakdown lane. Cyclist access was removed in 2010 during construction work on the M2 upgrade. During that time, cyclists were required to use an alternate route on suburban streets that was 5 km longer, steeper & slower [link to http://www.hillsmotorway.com.au/files/M ... uction.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]. The design of the alternative route was criticised due to safety concerns [link to http://www.pushon.com.au/?p=295" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;].

In August 2013 access was restored westbound from Delhi Road to Windsor Road. Citybound access was restored only for the section from Windsor Road to Pennant Hills Road due to work to stabilise the embankment near the eastbound lanes at Marsfield. This work is expected to take until September 2015 and during that time cyclists will be unable to access the M2 city bound between Pennant Hills Road and Lane Cove Road. [link to http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadprojects/ ... 2_upgrade/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]. The citybound alternate route is [link to http://www.hillsm2.com.au/files/alt_cyc ... stage3.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]
The M2 connects to the M7 at Seven Hills and to ???? at Delhi Road
I think the Naremburn to North Ryde Cycleway section will also need to be updated as it currently says "You can transfer from the M2 cycleway (only operating east bound) at the junction of Epping Rd and Lane Cove Rd"
Anything you can do, I can do slower

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Wed May 07, 2014 10:02 am

Any change in the Eastbound route between PH Rd and Lane Cove Road?

I was doing a bit of strava stalking this morning (http://labs.strava.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and noticed that someone was riding east.

There's been a fair bit of activity of the "M2-PHR to LCR" segment, too: http://www.strava.com/segments/5216463" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed May 07, 2014 10:50 am

duncanm wrote:Any change in the Eastbound route between PH Rd and Lane Cove Road?

I was doing a bit of strava stalking this morning (http://labs.strava.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and noticed that someone was riding east.

There's been a fair bit of activity of the "M2-PHR to LCR" segment, too: http://www.strava.com/segments/5216463" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No change, but I've seen some riders east of P/Hills Rd from time to time either from car/PT on the occasion I don't ride to work, or during my westbound commute home by bike/car/PT.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed May 07, 2014 2:42 pm

duncanm wrote:Any change in the Eastbound route between PH Rd and Lane Cove Road?

Nope, the crane near browns waterhole is still at work on the embankment under the M2, and even if they finish that soon, I would say there is zero chance of them
opening eastbound from PHR until lane 3 from LCR to Delhi Rd is done, which is around 12 to 18 months away.

That will be just in time for the NorthConnex tunnel project to evict cyclists from the M2 for another 5 years!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Wed May 07, 2014 3:19 pm

Boognoss wrote:

No change, but I've seen some riders east of P/Hills Rd from time to time either from car/PT on the occasion I don't ride to work, or during my westbound commute home by bike/car/PT.
So are these people just riding the lane? I understood there was minimal / no breakdown lane.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed May 07, 2014 3:45 pm

I rode it recently at about 4:30am on a saturday. I think two cars may have gone past... none in the section that has no shoulder. I saw someone riding it the other day when I was driving and it was pretty busy. I would not recommend that. I suspect most of the Strava activity is from people doing it very early on their way to a weekend morning ride.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed May 07, 2014 4:12 pm

duncanm wrote:
Boognoss wrote:

So are these people just riding the lane? I understood there was minimal / no breakdown lane.
There are two sections where there is minimal/no shoulder at each workzone. One at Browns Waterhole (on a slight climb) and the other between LCR and Delhi Rd. I wouldn't do it myself unless very early like Adrian did. Even then, with the police presence during peak hours each way that I see every day I personally probably wouldn't risk it (being pulled up on it).
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

rogan

Postby rogan » Wed May 07, 2014 5:02 pm

Yep, agree with all that. It's quite possibly rideable (but not legally) as far as LC Road when the workers are not at Browns Waterhole (usually early weekend mornings, but this is not guaranteed). Otherwise, stay away. After that, the section to Delhi Rd is not rideable at all, by my standards at least.

The section between Herring Rd and LC Road is perfectly rideable, although cyclists are currently banned in that section too.

The other point, speaking to someone who should know, the section to Delhi Rd should be finished relatively soon, in the next few months. The major works around Browns Waterhole, well they will be going on for much longer, until this time next year at least.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed May 07, 2014 9:27 pm

rogan wrote:Yep, agree with all that. It's quite possibly rideable (but not legally) as far as LC Road when the workers are not at Browns Waterhole (usually early weekend mornings, but this is not guaranteed). Otherwise, stay away. After that, the section to Delhi Rd is not rideable at all, by my standards at least.

The section between Herring Rd and LC Road is perfectly rideable, although cyclists are currently banned in that section too.

The other point, speaking to someone who should know, the section to Delhi Rd should be finished relatively soon, in the next few months. The major works around Browns Waterhole, well they will be going on for much longer, until this time next year at least.
They're still doing excavation work for the on ramp and 3rd lane, so unless they're working 24 hours a day on it, i can't see it being finished until the end of the year at least.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon May 12, 2014 4:43 pm

I noticed today that the bus stops west of Windsor Rd are now getting their upgrade (extra barriers to protect the bus and allow 100kph speed limit to be restored from Seven Hills to Windsor Rd).

I was worried when the big motorway sign at the Norwest exit said the shoulder is closed ahead for roadworks, but there was no mention of bikes having to exit the motorway. The concrete barriers protecting the construction zone at the first bus stop (only work area at the moment) only block half of the shoulder to allow bikes to get passed. Not sure if this was deliberate or a mistake....

I've emailed the M2 enquiry address this arvo and I'll report back when I receive a reply (usually 2-3 days). I asked what will happen both during the works and then after once the extra barriers are constructed.

Speccy

Postby Speccy » Tue May 13, 2014 1:56 pm

> The section between Herring Rd and LC Road is perfectly rideable, although cyclists are currently banned in that section too.

1 The on ramp is at "Christie Road" not "Herring Road"
2 The sign says "No Cyclists during construction (date covered over)"

I see no construction...

However, if you start from Herring Road and end up going north on Lane Cove Road, the surface road option is almost as safe and almost as quick.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:07 pm

Sigh. The M2 still not open eastbound of Pennant Hills Road.

When does the NorthConnex work start? Worrying thing is this work will no doubt produce another multi year closure.

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:02 pm

from what i can see, when taking the hillsbus to the city, the roadworks look far from completed.
i wouldn't hold my breath :evil: :cry:

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:41 pm

Bit OT but whereabouts on the M2 were the old Brown's Waterhole entry/exit points? Is it near where the overhead toll gantry now is?

caneye

Postby caneye » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:47 pm

Yes I believe it's near the gantry.

Anyone rode on m2 this week?
Westbound breakdown lane is noticeably cleaner without broken glasses and nasty debris as compared to last week.

Scott2468

Postby Scott2468 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:47 pm

caneye wrote:Yes I believe it's near the gantry.

Anyone rode on m2 this week?
Westbound breakdown lane is noticeably cleaner without broken glasses and nasty debris as compared to last week.
Yes, I actually saw the sweeper in action for the 1st time ever on the M2 about one week ago. It was sweeping westbound near Windsor Rd at about 4:30 am.

Don't worry, everything will be back to "normal" after this weekend's drunken revelry.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:36 pm

I did some commuting last week - I really don't see the justification for blocking the M2 for bikes at this stage. The trucks need get there, sure, but the buses manage to avoid riders around Winston Hills, why not trucks pulling over? I dunno. I probably expect too much LOL

btw if the westbound route was swept last Saturday, then I think we can assume the M2 will suck forever because it was somewhat better than the week before, but Monday was still awful.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:45 am

I haven't noticed any difference at all. It is always covered in crap. I see a lot gloves and jackets for some reason, and dead birds!

rogan

Postby rogan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:30 am

Xplora wrote:I did some commuting last week - I really don't see the justification for blocking the M2 for bikes at this stage. The trucks need get there, sure, but the buses manage to avoid riders around Winston Hills, why not trucks pulling over? I dunno. I probably expect too much LOL

btw if the westbound route was swept last Saturday, then I think we can assume the M2 will suck forever because it was somewhat better than the week before, but Monday was still awful.
Driving home late (~11 pm) on Thursday 23 October, they definitely had the sweepers out westbound.

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:19 am

Xplora wrote:I really don't see the justification for blocking the M2 for bikes at this stage.
It's because the stretch between the tunnel and toll gates eastbound still has roadwork on the roadside, and no shoulder. The bike/breakdown lane ends abruptly through concrete barriers (work site) and there's no way to get past except to ride into a 100kmh traffic lane (not cool).

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:01 am

rogan wrote:Driving home late (~11 pm) on Thursday 23 October, they definitely had the sweepers out westbound.
ah that explains it. i rode on Friday and it was a good. last Monday was awful.

what do you do when there're shards of glass in front, concrete barrier on your left and traffic on your right? :evil: :cry:

SheikYerbouti wrote:
Xplora wrote:I really don't see the justification for blocking the M2 for bikes at this stage.
It's because the stretch between the tunnel and toll gates eastbound still has roadwork on the roadside, and no shoulder. The bike/breakdown lane ends abruptly through concrete barriers (work site) and there's no way to get past except to ride into a 100kmh traffic lane (not cool).
yes .. no shoulder. Bikes would be forced into 100km traffic. big thumbs down.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:23 pm

Here is the thing - bikes are into the shoulder because a concrete barrier forces you to. If the trucks could pull over off the shoulder, there would be no real need to put the barrier up to make the cyclist ban necessary. I understand that there were issues before, but cmon. They are not just inconveniencing cyclists, but increasing traffic through Epping/Ryde without much cause. :idea:

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:46 pm

Xplora wrote: They are not just inconveniencing cyclists, but increasing traffic through Epping/Ryde without much cause. :idea:
I'm not sure. Not being privy to the work site layout and movements, I'd be hesitant to call it as unneccessary. In my experience they don't go to the expense of keeping barriers up unless their risk assessment requires it. And if it requires it, despite what anyone thinks of them, they need to stay. The signs do say "Closed to cyclists 2013-2015" so we might see it reopened in 2 months' time.
I hope so, as I'm about to start working at a new site past Eastern Creek and will set myself a goal of riding to and from work one day, Naremburn - Epping Rd Cycleway - M2 - M7 to Richmond Rd, and return.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:31 pm

SheikYerbouti wrote:
Xplora wrote: They are not just inconveniencing cyclists, but increasing traffic through Epping/Ryde without much cause. :idea:
I'm not sure. Not being privy to the work site layout and movements, I'd be hesitant to call it as unneccessary. In my experience they don't go to the expense of keeping barriers up unless their risk assessment requires it. And if it requires it, despite what anyone thinks of them, they need to stay. The signs do say "Closed to cyclists 2013-2015" so we might see it reopened in 2 months' time.
I hope so, as I'm about to start working at a new site past Eastern Creek and will set myself a goal of riding to and from work one day, Naremburn - Epping Rd Cycleway - M2 - M7 to Richmond Rd, and return.
they dismantled the crane in August, having worked on the site since September last year.

http://www.hillsm2.com.au/mobile/news.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Original estimate was 20 months to fix the problems, which makes it around May 2015. However, it looks like they are almost done.