The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

jules21

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby jules21 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:15 pm

good piece. i say well done ch.7. told it well, from the cyclists' perspective.

VRE

Postby VRE » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:21 pm

jules21 wrote:good piece. i say well done ch.7. told it well, from the cyclists' perspective.
Agreed :) . But let's hope that, as another mentioned in this thread, it doesn't deter potential cyclists from starting cycling.

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:33 pm

http://www.humanheadline.com.au/Hinch-S ... -on-wheels" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:42 pm

MattyK wrote:Once again my Channel 7 rule seems to be working. (not that my TV seems to pick up anything except ABC2...)
Haha. I feel your pain. :lol:

"Raa Raa, you are, a noisy little lion... ♫"
"Fin-ley the fi-re engine..."
"64, 64, 64 zoo lane..."

I can no longer type the number 64 into any of my documents at work. :(

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:59 pm

rkelsen wrote:
MattyK wrote:Once again my Channel 7 rule seems to be working. (not that my TV seems to pick up anything except ABC2...)
Haha. I feel your pain. :lol:

"Raa Raa, you are, a noisy little lion... ♫"
"Fin-ley the fi-re engine..."
"64, 64, 64 zoo lane..."

I can no longer type the number 64 into any of my documents at work. :(
Dine-saw.....grrrrrrr
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:01 pm

^ lol :lol:
My reading of this is that he is specifically picking on the people who choose to break the law.

I disagree with his comments on registration though. I wonder if he would change his opinion about it if he knew that the taxpayer would have to subsidise the administration of bicycle rego?

It seems odd that he mentions the name of 1 pedestrian who was killed by a cyclist in 2007 without mentioning the names of any of the 1,070 people who have died at the hands of motorists since then (in Victoria only).

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:16 pm

The Sunday night FB page has approx 700 bogan comments.

love the first lot of them commenting on the reporter who couldn't stay in the bike lane. Yes, well that's because many of the parked cars were sticking into it and it's the door zone.... :roll:

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:17 pm

It did nothing to help educate the public.
Ie riding 2 abreast, giving more space when overtaking etc.
Could have sent a message through the idiot box as it seems the government is doing 4/5ths of sweet f*all.

Ps. Just had a look at some of the comments. I feel rather sad now. So many ignorant folks out there, so so many...

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:06 pm

InTheWoods wrote:I missed it apart from end... Can't believe derryn is upset that because we don't use petrol we don't pay enough tax! So does he think fuel efficient cars shouldnt be allowed on the road as much or should pay more rego to make up for it?
I pay plenty of tax, I pay vehicle registration and I also pay to have a drivers license.
wexford wrote:I've got a canned response when someone tries the rego argument with me.

"I own a car, I pay rego but I don't use it because I ride everywhere. Which means I'm subsidising your rego. Can I have a refund please?"

With that I hold out my hand, and ask them to refund me again. Nobody has ever had a comeback to that!
Haha! Gold! I travel a lot further on my bike than in my car. I want a refund too! :lol:
<removed by request>

Marx

Postby Marx » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:58 pm

[first name], [mobile number]
“How’s my riding?”
Printed on the back of a jersey/gillett/backpack.

Bike rego issue sorted.
What’s next?
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:53 pm

Nah. Middle of the bibs. So they have to stare at your ass cheeks to get the number :P

How's my riding. Call 1800KISSMYASS

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:20 pm

birdbrain wrote:Cockroaches aye! The only cockroach was Hinch a drunk who was lucky enough to get a kidney from some poor sod who died. Interesting that all of the aggression was from drivers. War on the Roads what crap!
Kidney probably came from some poor young fit cyclist who was swiped and killed by one of the bogans :| :(
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:08 pm

It was a liver.

And yes thats what I thought

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:32 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:I missed it apart from end... Can't believe derryn is upset that because we don't use petrol we don't pay enough tax! So does he think fuel efficient cars shouldnt be allowed on the road as much or should pay more rego to make up for it?
I pay plenty of tax, I pay vehicle registration and I also pay to have a drivers license.
That's a flawed argument. You have to pay sepearate rego on multiple vehicles thst you own and but can only drive one at a time...and you also need seperate licences to drive them as well (eg a car vs motorbike vs truck) so why should a bicycle have an exemption? Not being pro bicycle rego (though if it got us respect on the road from motorists then I'd be pro-rego but I know motorists attitudes wouldn't change), just pointing out the lack of logic in the "I pay rego on my car" argument.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:39 pm

What of those who don't have a car, and then also don't ride a bike either? For example those runners in those too small shorts (to put a bogan slant on the question).

What does Hinch plan to do about those people? Make these runners wear license plates and have registration?

He's just a miserable grumpy old man.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:48 pm

Ross wrote: That's a flawed argument. You have to pay sepearate rego on multiple vehicles thst you own and but can only drive one at a time...and you also need seperate licences to drive them as well (eg a car vs motorbike vs truck) so why should a bicycle have an exemption? Not being pro bicycle rego (though if it got us respect on the road from motorists then I'd be pro-rego but I know motorists attitudes wouldn't change), just pointing out the lack of logic in the "I pay rego on my car" argument.
+1. I reckon there's a couple of ways to go about it, if the person you're talking to wants bike rego because "they all run red lights" :roll: then point out what a fantastic job registration does of stopping much more dangerous cars, motorbikes and trucks from doing the same (and I always like to point out the utterly disgusting number of people killed on the road every year). If it's because "they should pay for the road", then the argument is that rego doesn't come close to paying for roads, bike rego would never actually generate a profit, cyclists already pay the taxes and rates that DO fund the roads, and bicycles don't do any damage to the roads.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:31 pm

Finally watched it. Shallow as the toddlers pool at the Paraburdoo Hilton.
So many things I'd like to say to Hinch but my limited command of the "utter" sub-dialect of "Moron" isnt up to it.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:14 pm

If cyclists were required to pay for their use of the roads, what would be a fair amount?

The maintenance costs of the road network are a product of the distance travelled, weight of the vehicle, speed and the width of road used. A little calculation later shows that a fair price for me to use my bike on the road would be around 0.015% of what I pay for my car. Ie for every $100 I pay to use the car, I would be required to pay 1 cent to use the bike. I'd be happy to pay this but somehow, I suspect the administration costs to the general public would exceed that fair amount. While we are being fair and equitable, we should get a rebate for easing our health care burden off the state through a fitter, healthier lifestyle and perhaps a suddenly shortened life eliminating the burden of palliative care and age pension.

Ken
Last edited by kenwstr on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:26 pm

BianchiCam wrote:It did nothing to help educate the public.
Ie riding 2 abreast, giving more space when overtaking etc.
Could have sent a message through the idiot box as it seems the government is doing 4/5ths of sweet f*all.

Ps. Just had a look at some of the comments. I feel rather sad now. So many ignorant folks out there, so so many...
Couldn't bear to watch, but just skimmed the transcript, billed by BTAWA as "not as bad as the promo". That's about all I'd give it though, it really did miss some good opportunities to counter some of the boneheaded junk we are all so sick of hearing.

Re the comments: Ghostery for firefox, sweetie. Has the option of blocking comment sections on most blogs & news websites. I wouldn't be surprised if installing it has markedly reduced my baseline blood pressure.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:07 pm

I enjoyed reading this blogger's appraisal of the segment... http://www.singlespeedgoldcoast.com/201 ... roads.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:20 pm

lobstermash wrote:I enjoyed reading this blogger's appraisal of the segment... http://www.singlespeedgoldcoast.com/201 ... roads.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for sharing :lol:

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:00 am

Some of the aggressive comments directed toward cyclists were frightening. I have had a number of close shave in recent weeks, some seemed to drive intentionally close and came within a few centimeters. Even a guy on a motorbike with the entire lanes width vacant...

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:18 am

lobstermash wrote:I enjoyed reading this blogger's appraisal of the segment... http://www.singlespeedgoldcoast.com/201 ... roads.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And apparently the shortfall between what petrol taxes provide and what roads cost is about the same as the gap between Derryn's mouth and his brain.
Gold! :mrgreen:

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:42 am

Pretty much all the cycle cam "accidents" shown in the WotR where the cars turned in front of the cyclists and then the cyclists appeared to collide with them could of been avoided if the cyclists had slown down. Not excusing what the car drivers did, though probably most of them were SMIDSY rather than deliberate, but it looks to me (obviously I wasn't there) that the cyclists had plenty of time to slow and avoid the collision.

Marx

Postby Marx » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:26 pm

If bikes pay rego, then I’m taking toll roads & freeways.

Please don’t talk about bike rego, because it ‘normalises’ this extreme viewpoint.
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.