Got bagged for wearing baggies.

Nobody

Re: Got bagged for wearing baggies.

Postby Nobody » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:47 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Tim, how does a low rise MX bar, knobbies and standard saddle on a 3x Repco Dragster circa 1976ish sound? :)
Who else on these forums invented MTB? :P
I had a Raleigh Grifter in about '78. Wikipedia said they've been around since '76 too.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:49 pm

winstonw wrote:
But the reasons roadie gear has evolved to what it is.... (snipped).....
- reduced noise so you can hear traffic better = safer
What the?! Unless you're wearing clothes made out of mylar sailcloth, that's absurd. Actually, so is the idea of clothes made from sailcloth... I can honestly say I've never even heard the sound of my casual commuting gear (t-shirt & shorts), let alone had it drowning out traffic noise. Maybe it's 'cos all I can hear is the rushing wind in my ears....
- reduced chance of clothing snagging on saddle or bars when moving from saddle to out of saddle and back.
The functionistas have got it all whoopsie! Roadies never move around that much on a bike to make that a concern. Baggies for the roadies! MTBers are the ones who wriggle around a lot, they should be wearing the stuff that doesn't snag!
If it is fashionable to ride a bicycle, or do something healthy, who'd bag that?
Absolute truth there! :D
Now, if something deserves to be bagged, it is slackarses who whinge about spending an hour stuck being traffic when they could be on a bike & getting where they need to be in half the time
. OK, so I tweaked it a bit. :wink:

My commute is 15 minutes each way - not worth getting the lycra on for, so I commute in what I work in. For fun rides, on or off-road, it's lycra all the way, 'cos it's the right gear for the purpose. :)
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

nickl

Postby nickl » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:12 pm

On a commute, wear whatever you want.

But... A Saturday afternoon a few weeks ago I was out climbing a popular road climb (Norton Summit) and I'd have seen 3 or 4 rider in full lycra, but wearing baggy shorts over the top. I think that looks pretty weird.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:16 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Tim, how does a low rise MX bar, knobbies and standard saddle on a 3x Repco Dragster circa 1976ish sound? :)

Shaun
Did the same :lol:
Forks and wheels didn't last too long though :(
Dogs are the best people :wink:

skull

Postby skull » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:18 pm

bychosis wrote: I've come from MTB riding and don't like tight fitting clothes as a rule.
I don't know if you have seen the nationals or any other mtb xc or enduro events lately. The dress of choice is lycra.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:19 pm

My commute is 5km, not sure why 90% of the time, I am wearing Lycra.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:20 pm

:lol: UCI had to ban skin suits from downhill events!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:38 pm

toolonglegs wrote::lol: UCI had to ban skin suits from downhill events!
Praise be to Sheldon! It was hard enough watching Mike Ronning in full length WHITE tights back in the day.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:28 pm

If it feels good wear it.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:54 pm

skull wrote:I don't know if you have seen the nationals or any other mtb xc or enduro events lately. The dress of choice is lycra.
It was that way in the early '90s too, so nothing appears to have changed for racing.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:55 pm

I wear baggies for the commute to work and riding on the dirt. Lycra is worn on the road or racing mtb.

In the dim long gone past racers trained in comfortable clothing. They only wore jerseys and nicks when they raced.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Ip-A29gs0f8/T ... ra+001.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-cvE_xCJ8wPU/T ... i+1952.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HHZ3lqkq-0E/T ... i01g_2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hK6wBf9zZu0/T ... rg+001.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The image above I can relate to for my commute. Comfy clothes, mud guards and a fixed gear :lol:

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:28 am

Geez I just wear shorts and a t shirt and sometimes a jersey in summer when it is warm. Wear what you want to wear I reckon. Anyone who thinks lycra cycling clothing is somehow fashion has a very strange view of fashion, it's just functional. Personally I see no need for padding given I have a Brooks saddle ;)

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:04 am

nickl wrote:On a commute, wear whatever you want.

But... A Saturday afternoon a few weeks ago I was out climbing a popular road climb (Norton Summit) and I'd have seen 3 or 4 rider in full lycra, but wearing baggy shorts over the top. I think that looks pretty weird.
Noobies who are self conscious. It can take a little while for some people to come to terms with full lycra.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:32 am

I sweat like a pig. Nothing seems to cope with that as well as Lycra cycling gear.
1c on the commute this morning 26k's. Biblongs, soft shell jacket, polypropylene undershirt, gloves, beanie and neoprene shoe covers.
Started out a little fresh at the start of the ride. Wet with sweat at the end. My clothes are hanging in the shower cubicle at work and will be dry when I put them on in 10 hrs time to go home. Nothing else works as well for me.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:05 am

briztoon wrote:

Noobies who are self conscious. It can take a little while for some people to come to terms with full lycra.
Yeah, maybe I'll get there before I'm old. I didn't have a problem with it 20+ years ago though.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:31 am

Nobody wrote:
briztoon wrote:

Yeah, maybe I'll get there before I'm old. I didn't have a problem with it 20+ years ago though.
I often compare cycling clothes with swimwear.

If you want to be fast and efficient, wear speedos / knicks. Yes, you look silly. So does everybody else. They're probably not something you would want to be seen in without some very strong context cues to reinforce that you're dressed for a specific sporting purpose.

Don't wear underpants under your speedos / knicks. Ewwww. Uncomfortable. Soggy. Bad.

If you're too self-conscious to get about wearing just a single layer of lycra over your unmentionables, wear some lightweight shorts over the top of your speedos / knicks (or wear shorts with an appropriate built-in liner). You'll lose some of the benefits, but you won't feel like a half-naked weirdo. People who are seriously into the sport will look sideways at you and scoff.

Over time, assuming you stay with the sport, you'll come to realise that there's nothing exceptional about your body that makes it any less lycra-appropriate than plenty of other lycra-clad bodies out there, and in your own time, you'll probably lose the modesty shorts. Something you could never do, except that everybody else has already normalised it. Feels a bit weird and pervy the first time, but feels good to be rid of those silly flappy over-pants.

A few years later, you'll look at other newbies wearing footy shorts over their speedos / knicks, scoff a little, and chuckle that you ever felt the need to cover up like that.

In some circles (MTBers, surfers), the lycra thing isn't really normalised. At least, not outside of competition. Then it becomes a choice whether to follow social convention, or be comfortable and have your peers think you're a bit of a weirdo.

Of course, continuing the analogy, you don't need to wear speedos to swim. If you find yourself at a beach on a hot day wearing street shorts and undies, go ahead and swim. You might not be as fast as some guy in budgie smugglers, but that's hardly the point. It might be a bit clammy and uncomfortable walking around in damp jocks after you get out, but that's the compromise you make. Likewise, riding in casual clothes. Not as comfortable, but easier and more convenient.

tim

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:05 am

Cycling gear is nothing too outrageous.

The triathlon people seem to shock the onlookers though. :shock: Funny thing is that on the M7, there is no water or pools for a very long time - probably why some pedestrians look at them a bit funny...

djw47

Postby djw47 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:26 am

barefoot wrote:
Nobody wrote:
briztoon wrote:If you're too self-conscious to get about wearing just a single layer of lycra over your unmentionables, wear some lightweight shorts over the top of your speedos / knicks (or wear shorts with an appropriate built-in liner). You'll lose some of the benefits, but you won't feel like a half-naked weirdo. People who are seriously into the sport will look sideways at you and scoff.
What exactly are the benefits of full lycra? I've cycled for years and cannot see how it makes any difference to how I cycle.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:42 am

djw47 wrote:
What exactly are the benefits of full lycra? I've cycled for years and cannot see how it makes any difference to how I cycle.
Already mentioned in this thread.
Try it for yourself, perhaps it will work for your use too.
Longer distances, hotter weather, it comes in handy.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:46 am

One big benefit is being labelled as a cockroach for frequenting Hinch's favourite cafes...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:50 am

djw47 wrote:
barefoot wrote:
Nobody wrote:
Ride really fast on a road bike (with a small lightweight saddle) for say 100km on a 29°C day or warmer. Proper jersey and cycling bib shorts are much nicer than flappy loose shorts and shirt. The latter just make you really hot and sweaty.

Other than that, you'll be public enemy number one and everyone will try to kill you with their cars. And old unhealthy journalists will also call you a cockroach.

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:59 am

Minimum number of seams chafing you, too.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:04 am

Nobody wrote:Yeah, maybe I'll get there before I'm old.
Sorry to break it to you mate but that ship has sailed, you are already there :P
Last edited by warthog1 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:17 am

barefoot wrote:I often compare cycling clothes with swimwear.

If you want to be fast and efficient, wear speedos / knicks. Yes, you look silly. So does everybody else. They're probably not something you would want to be seen in without some very strong context cues to reinforce that you're dressed for a specific sporting purpose.

Over time, assuming you stay with the sport, you'll come to realise that there's nothing exceptional about your body that makes it any less lycra-appropriate than plenty of other lycra-clad bodies out there, and in your own time, you'll probably lose the modesty shorts. Something you could never do, except that everybody else has already normalised it. Feels a bit weird and pervy the first time, but feels good to be rid of those silly flappy over-pants.
This is me - Figure nobody needs to see my skinny chicken legs commuting in lycra, so I've worn baggies for a few years. But come this winter (and having had a taste of bibshorts on a ride on my brother's bike in summer) I figured "hey, I'm already wearing dedicated cycling gear anyway" so I invested in some bib tights. Absolutely loving them.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:33 am

warthog1 wrote:
Nobody wrote:Yeah, maybe I'll get there before I'm old.
Sorry to break it to you mate but that ship has sailed, you are already there :P
Well that makes two of us then. Time to trade in the reliving_my_youth, boy_racer S5 for a touring bike. Probably one sign you were getting old was when you put Marathons on your road bike because you didn't want to change flats anymore. You poor old guy. :P :lol: