Wearing an online shop kit on group ride?

norman99

Wearing an online shop kit on group ride?

Postby norman99 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:31 pm

Hi All, I understand that there can be some strong opinions about wearing team/sponsor kits unless you belong to the team. I personally think you can wear whatever you like and usually leave it at that. However, I have been thinking about joining the weekly group ride in my area, and know that some staff from a couple LBS's participate.

What are peoples thoughts on wearing jersey & bibs from a well known online shop? Normally I don't worry to much what others think, but believe sometimes a little restraint and respect for those already in the group seams appropriate.

Am I just over thinking things, or have others seen anything that would suggest wearing something else is a better option? I only ask as this kit is my newest/most comfortable and therefore first choice when going for a ride. I just don't want to waltz in and stir someone up the wrong way.
Last edited by norman99 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkG

Re: Wearing an online shop kit on group ride?

Postby MarkG » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:42 pm

Why not.
Its not my cup of tea, but its up to the individual.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:44 pm

If someone has a go at you first ride then they're the one with issues. [which is not to say a quiet word from an old hand about the do's and don'ts of a particular ride shouldn't be welcomed, but usually couched in terms of "next time you ride with us..."

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:49 pm

I would suggest that if they did get their backs up, then perhaps they should spend a bit of time trying to convince you to visit their shop instead of the online one.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it and if someone asks why I wear my cycling NZ jersey (from Torpedo7), I would tell them the truth; in my instance it's only been after I bought the jersey and a new shop opened, that I finally found a bike shop that was worth going into with friendly staff, great advice and they can actually order in the items you want.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:54 pm

I see no issue at all - wear whatever tickles your fancy - you paid for it, so you have the right to wear it.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:57 pm

If it's a shop ride then I think good manners would dictate you shouldn't wear the online shop strip, otherwise I doubt anyone would be care what you wear.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:34 am

Just wear baggy shorts and normal shirt. :wink:

And then go faster than all of them.

But really, just wear what you wish if it isn't an actual cycling shop group ride.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:20 pm

Plus 1 on if it is a shop ride then it is bad manners... I can just imagine someone turning up to Turramurra with a Wiggle top lol.
Just a local ride with no shop affiliations then wear what you want.

Coolabah

Postby Coolabah » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:46 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Plus 1 on if it is a shop ride then it is bad manners... I can just imagine someone turning up to Turramurra with a Wiggle top lol.
Just a local ride with no shop affiliations then wear what you want.
Typical North Shore snobbery - whats wrong with the Wiggles ? i know Geoff is always falling asleep at the wheel of the red car like many motorists but heck.... :roll:

Personally I would only wear something with a name of any sort blazed all over it if it fullfilled any one of the following criteria :
1) I was being paid to wear it
2) I would get ( word = certain favours from certain nubile...) due to wearing it
3) it was really cheap or free
4) The Wiggles all signed it
5) I lost all my other stuff just 30 minutes ago in a house fire

but , I just have really high standards in fact , at least for a cyclist.... :shock: :D

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:59 pm

I wear PBK jerseys. Why? 'Cause they were 14 bucks! They're bright and easy to see and they're good quality. Unfortunately none of them are signed by the Wiggles but what do you expect for $14?

Jimbilly

Postby Jimbilly » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:19 pm

I wear a bright green jersey with some writing on it, don't know what, it's easy to see, comfortable and cheap. If someone has issues with what you are wearing then they are probably not fun to be riding with anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ACT SC600

Postby ACT SC600 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:30 pm

you paid for it...you sweat in it... you wash it...and if you are fast enough you can dish out the pain in it :mrgreen:

Coolabah

Postby Coolabah » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:55 pm

ACT SC600 wrote:you paid for it...you sweat in it... you wash it...and if you are fast enough you can dish out the pain in it :mrgreen:
Well, for me at least , 2 out of three ain't bad... :cry:
But mate you kinda mucked up my quote by mentioning Four things ... who does that ? always an odd number is the gold standard..

OK, well then I need to edit your post :
1) you paid for it
2) you sweat in it then you wash it ( see, neat segue..)
3) "if you are fast enough you can dish out the pain it"

ahhh.... cue famous Meatloaf quote:
Well, for me at least ," 2 out of three ain't bad..." :D :cry:
Last edited by Coolabah on Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

munga

Postby munga » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:06 pm

you guys wear clothes on your bikes?

Marx

Postby Marx » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:09 pm

LBSs are just feeling the effects of globalisation.
Happens to everyone.
I try to be nice to them, as it's nice to have them around.
But don't go changing what you wear or how you buy.
Things might change for the better, for everyone, if we keep doing what we're doing....
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

munga

Postby munga » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:21 pm

i bet that lbs employee's also shop online, but don't tell anyone.

Coolabah

Postby Coolabah » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:23 pm

munga wrote:you guys wear clothes on your bikes?
yeh, you know its kinda like dressing Barbies ? My bike has different clothes for every occasion. Once I dressed it up in a pink bikini and didn't THAT make quite the stir at the local bike racks ... there was lots of tittering from the other bikes that day I can tell you !

OK, time for me to take this post more seriously. I mean it. I'm serious about that , really ...

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:34 pm

RonK wrote:If it's a shop ride then I think good manners would dictate you shouldn't wear the online shop strip, otherwise I doubt anyone would be care what you wear.

+1
Lisa

Coolabah

Postby Coolabah » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:36 pm

norman99 wrote:Hi All, I understand that there can be some strong opinions about wearing team/sponsor kits unless you belong to the team. I personally think you can wear whatever you like and usually leave it at that. However, I have been thinking about joining the weekly group ride in my area, and know that some staff from a couple LBS's participate.

What are peoples thoughts on wearing jersey & bibs from a well known online shop? Normally I don't worry to much what others think, but believe sometimes a little restraint and respect for those already in the group seams appropriate.

Am I just over thinking things, or have others seen anything that would suggest wearing something else is a better option? I only ask as this kit is my newest/most comfortable and therefore first choice when going for a ride. I just don't want to waltz in and stir someone up the wrong way.
I ( now , saying this seriously ) think it is important to consider the thoughts/feelings of others. I would maybe wear a light vest/t-shirt over your comfortable (online branded ) shirt if you felt that was appropriate until you had a better feel for the situation ? At the end of the day you can always wear it "inside -out" ( you know , like when you get dressed in the dark ... surely I am not the only one displaying a baboon red ars* from inside out cycling knicks donned at 5 am in winter ??? oh.. so you're telling me I am ?? :oops: :oops: ... so embarrassment

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:38 pm

munga wrote:i bet that lbs employee's also shop online, but don't tell anyone.
What lies :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:41 pm

marinmomma wrote:
RonK wrote:If it's a shop ride then I think good manners would dictate you shouldn't wear the online shop strip, otherwise I doubt anyone would be care what you wear.

+1
Also, if you are going to join a shop ride regularly (and I have) then you should perhaps buy the shop strip (and I did).
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:02 pm

munga wrote:i bet that lbs employee's also shop online, but don't tell anyone.
Have you seen the price of products at cost!. Plus some importers offer shop staff an extra discount on top of cost. Depends on the shop though... I know a few shops that charge staff cost + 10 or 20 % :| .

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:23 pm

RonK wrote:
marinmomma wrote:

+1
Also, if you are going to join a shop ride regularly (and I have) then you should perhaps buy the shop strip (and I did).
Agreed.
Lisa

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:40 pm

norman99 wrote:Hi All, I understand that there can be some strong opinions about wearing team/sponsor kits unless you belong to the team. I personally think you can wear whatever you like and usually leave it at that. However, I have been thinking about joining the weekly group ride in my area, and know that some staff from a couple LBS's participate.

well i am aware that local bike shops do not like Undisputed World heavy weight Champion of the world/Juggernauts like Wiggle and Chain reaction... as they swallow and annihilate all competition in Australia.

im assuming if theres anyone thats the proprietor of any domestic stores that happen to be in the group with you will not favour you.

But if you dont care what people think.. then it is a free country....it really doesn't matter what you wear. (unless of course its something Anti-islamic ... you would probably cause World War 3 :!: )

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:27 pm

Bike mechanics couldn't afford to by from the shops they work for but sometimes they get great deals from the reps.