Got bagged for wearing baggies.

warthog1

Re: Got bagged for wearing baggies.

Postby warthog1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:52 pm

Nobody wrote:Well that makes two of us then.
There is that I s'pose :(
Nobody wrote:Time to trade in the reliving_my_youth, boy_racer S5 for a touring bike. Probably one sign you were getting old was when you put Marathons on your road bike because you didn't want to change flats anymore. You poor old guy. :P :lol:
In my youth it was motorbikes and I'm not reliving that. I'm lucky I'm still living at all :lol:

I'm not trading in the rocket, as you know it's worth alot less than I paid for it. :(
I'm not doing much racing even though there is a vets club here. Lost my mojo, and there are no tts here.
Just doing some some sportives where there are other non Luddite :P oldies like myself still enjoying testing the old legs. :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:46 pm

g-boaf wrote:Ride really fast on a road bike (with a small lightweight saddle) for say 100km on a 29°C day or warmer. Proper jersey and cycling bib shorts are much nicer than flappy loose shorts and shirt. The latter just make you really hot and sweaty.
Anything over about 20 degrees and I ditch the jersey and instead wear a sweat wicking type running singlet. They are great for shedding excess heat as your armpits are exposed, they fit snugly so no flapping, and they have slightly higher cut than a bonds type wife beater so don't look too offensive. Only downside is no jersey pockets, but as I run a saddle bag it's not an issue.

Running tops are often worth looking when considering cycle jerseys. One of my favorite winter commuting tops is a Brooks long sleeve high-vis type. It has a nice in between weight that's great for 0-10C temps, and has plenty of reflective patches in very sensible places (in between shoulder blades, just above wrists and on the 1/2 front zip trim)
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:09 pm

Remember too, you can always wear shorts over the lycra for "aesthetic" reasons. :smile:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:57 pm

warthog1 wrote:In my youth it was motorbikes and I'm not reliving that. I'm lucky I'm still living at all :lol:
Same here. Started racing MTB to get off road motorbikes.
warthog1 wrote:I'm not trading in the rocket, as you know it's worth alot less than I paid for it. :(
Yeah, that's the problem with leading edge stuff. Being made of bike manufacturer's favorite material can't help resale either. Well the pro PEDoton are using it, so it must be good. :roll: :P
Anyway, just upgrade. Manufacturer's answer to everything it appears. Doesn't matter that the old product has less than perfect durability. Just get another one in a couple of years. How else are you going to be able to keep up with the Joneses unless you keep upgrading? :wink:
warthog1 wrote:I'm not doing much racing even though there is a vets club here. Lost my mojo, and there are no tts here. Just doing some some sportives where there are other non Luddite :P oldies like myself still enjoying testing the old legs. :)
Oh well, enjoy the big country town while it lasts. You may be back in a busier place again some day. I don't even like riding at some times of the day due to the smog and traffic. :(

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:51 pm

Nobody wrote:
warthog1 wrote:In my youth it was motorbikes and I'm not reliving that. I'm lucky I'm still living at all :lol:
Same here. Started racing MTB to get off road motorbikes.
warthog1 wrote:I'm not trading in the rocket, as you know it's worth alot less than I paid for it. :(
Yeah, that's the problem with leading edge stuff. Being made of bike manufacturer's favorite material can't help resale either. Well the pro PEDoton are using it, so it must be good. :roll: :P
Anyway, just upgrade. Manufacturer's answer to everything it appears. Doesn't matter that the old product has less than perfect durability. Just get another one in a couple of years. How else are you going to be able to keep up with the Joneses unless you keep upgrading? :wink:
warthog1 wrote:I'm not doing much racing even though there is a vets club here. Lost my mojo, and there are no tts here. Just doing some some sportives where there are other non Luddite :P oldies like myself still enjoying testing the old legs. :)
Oh well, enjoy the big country town while it lasts. You may be back in a busier place again some day. I don't even like riding at some times of the day due to the smog and traffic. :(
We're OT as usual :oops: :lol: I'll pm ya

munga

Postby munga » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:12 pm

i used to wear shorts over my bibs when i first started riding, because i thought everyone would stare at my pecker. i've since watched a few movies and realise i should wear lycra everyday everywhere. 8)

but seriously, if someone has a go about you wearing baggy shorts on your commute, observe their bike/outfit, find something yellow, and ask if they ride/wear that because it's a homage to lance.
and if they're homophobes, wait until they're in a meeting/the toilet/afk, and put some rainbow stickers on their personal items.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:30 pm

rangersac wrote:
Anything over about 20 degrees and I ditch the jersey and instead wear a sweat wicking type running singlet. They are great for shedding excess heat as your armpits are exposed, they fit snugly so no flapping, and they have slightly higher cut than a bonds type wife beater so don't look too offensive. Only downside is no jersey pockets, but as I run a saddle bag it's not an issue.

Running tops are often worth looking when considering cycle jerseys.
You could always so what this numpty in Caboolture does. He gets around in just a pair of bib shorts, no jersey, or if its really hot just a pair of "Skins" shorts. Cyclists get a bad enough wrap as it is, let alone having this guy getting around. He looks a right fool.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:36 pm

barefoot wrote: Don't wear underpants under your speedos / knicks. Ewwww. Uncomfortable. Soggy. Bad.
Not necessarily, I always wear dacks under my knicks, I find I am uncomfortable without them (even on a Brooks :) ). Did 315kms yesterday with no issues. I say just give it a go and see what you reckon, some people will prefer it, some won't.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:46 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Not necessarily, I always wear dacks under my knicks
:shock:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:47 pm

DavidS wrote:Personally I see no need for padding given I have a Brooks saddle ;)

DS
Winner. Right there! :mrgreen:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

RonK

Got bagged for wearing baggies.

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:08 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
DavidS wrote:Personally I see no need for padding given I have a Brooks saddle ;)

DS
Brooks saddles are far from the panacea they are often made out to be.

They might suit some but they definitely don't suit everybody.

I for one would not be riding on my Brooks without padded knicks. .
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:30 pm

Zipped around Chermside wearing a buttoned up shirt, rolled up sleeves, cargo pants and blue tinted reflective ray bans while on my CF aero wheel'd race bike. Got a glimpse of my reflection in a shop window and thought damn I look good. Paid the price when I tried to build up some speed. Not the most aerodynamic clothing I must admit :mrgreen: Personally I wear whatever I want to wear when on a bike. Who really cares what anyone else thinks.

dontazame

Postby dontazame » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:49 pm

I always assumed baggie wearers are under endowned and quite naturally shy :lol:

skull

Postby skull » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:52 pm

I have started riding to work again now. It is roughly 13 km each way. I wear my suit trousers, business shirt and dress shoes. My jacket and tie are inside my wingman.

I love passing the other commuters wearing their riding kit on the way in. Especially since I am also riding a fixed gear bike.

The benefit is there is no need to change once at work, the ride is only short so I don't really work up a sweat (plus I soft pedal in). It is only on the days where I have done a bunch ride before hand, rush home, shower change and ride in I am still quite warmed up from the bunch ride so I get a bit hot.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:24 am

RonK wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:

DS
Brooks saddles are far from the panacea they are often made out to be.

They might suit some but they definitely don't suit everybody.

I for one would not be riding on my Brooks without padded knicks. .
HTFU ;)

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:27 am

next crit race, I am going in baggies and long sleeved hi vis button up.

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:14 am

dontazame wrote:I always assumed baggie wearers are under endowned and quite naturally shy :lol:
I assume you can always be seen walking through the boardroom in your timetrial suit, Dontazame! :D

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:32 am

clackers wrote:
dontazame wrote:I always assumed baggie wearers are under endowned and quite naturally shy :lol:
I assume you can always be seen walking through the boardroom in your timetrial suit, Dontazame! :D
Got to admit, it was worth a laugh. :)

I've arrived at work once in cycling gear - it did get a funny reaction from a few people given they normally see me in a suit and tie. :lol:

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:56 am

rheicel wrote:My commute is 5km, not sure why 90% of the time, I am wearing Lycra.
I'm a sweater, so even a 5km commute at anything more than 15km/h will get my work clothes wet, so I really have no choice but to wear something else and change when I get to work, and lycra is the most comfortable thing i've found to wear while on the road bike.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:08 am

Undertow wrote:
rheicel wrote:My commute is 5km, not sure why 90% of the time, I am wearing Lycra.
I'm a sweater, so even a 5km commute at anything more than 15km/h will get my work clothes wet, so I really have no choice but to wear something else and change when I get to work, and lycra is the most comfortable thing i've found to wear while on the road bike.
Same here.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:57 am

Summernight wrote:
Undertow wrote:
Same here.
Ditto.

michaelkn

Postby michaelkn » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:07 pm

May I suggest these:
http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:17 ... ack/white/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Snugly enough to not feel like you're baring your butt to the world and not baggy to make you feel like a MTB dork ( :twisted: ).

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:15 pm

michaelkn wrote: to make you feel like a MTB dork ( :twisted: ).
Mummy, that man's making me feel bad about myself!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:47 pm

clackers wrote:
michaelkn wrote: to make you feel like a MTB dork ( :twisted: ).
Mummy, that man's making me feel bad about myself!
There there dear, nobody can make you feel bad about yourself if you don't let them :twisted:

I thought "MTB dork" was a medical condition bought on by repeated hard hits at speed... :|
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:45 pm

rangersac wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Ride really fast on a road bike (with a small lightweight saddle) for say 100km on a 29°C day or warmer. Proper jersey and cycling bib shorts are much nicer than flappy loose shorts and shirt. The latter just make you really hot and sweaty.

Running tops are often worth looking when considering cycle jerseys. One of my favorite winter commuting tops is a Brooks long sleeve high-vis type. It has a nice in between weight that's great for 0-10C temps, and has plenty of reflective patches in very sensible places (in between shoulder blades, just above wrists and on the 1/2 front zip trim)
I just use my sleeveless cycling jerseys, so I get the pockets and drop tail, but also get to stay a but cooler.
I haven't been able to buy them anymore, so maybe they were a short lived fad, or maybe because UCI rules ban them, normal people think they can't wear them.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi