Route from Aspley to city?

InTheWoods

Route from Aspley to city?

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:34 pm

I'm dropping my car in Aspley (Gympie Road & Zillmere Road) for a service and have the choice of bussing it to RBWH or riding. I've never cycled from there before - is there any decent but not too busy route from that part of Brisbane down to RBWH? I can't see anything particularly obvious when I'm looking on maps :( I'm not fast enough to claim a lane on a major road like Gympie Rd.

Crawf

Re: Route from Aspley to city?

Postby Crawf » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:31 am

This is the way I have gone a few times when out that way...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/85636003

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:19 am

Sorry that link just says

"You do not have sufficient privileges to view the activity with id 85636003."

:(

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:11 pm

Try again.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:59 pm

Awesome thankyou.

So the traffic isn't too bad on that route? I might give it a try.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:30 am

I wouldn't say busy, but a few cars until you hit Edinburgh Castle Road, then its quiet back streets all the way in.

spirro

Postby spirro » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:42 am

Sorry for raising an old thread. But I'm looking for good routes into the CBD from around the Aspley Hypermarket. Anyone got a good one that avoids the busy roads, and preferably not too hilly?
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:11 am

spirro wrote:Sorry for raising an old thread. But I'm looking for good routes into the CBD from around the Aspley Hypermarket. Anyone got a good one that avoids the busy roads, and preferably not too hilly?
I still pretty much use the one provided above :) Not sure how to get from the hypermarket to the start point but it shouldn't be too hard?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:13 pm

From the Hypermarket just bang it along Robinson Road. Another option would be Robinson Road>Kirby Road>Murphy Road>Kittyhawke Drive then rat run to the Kedron Brook Bikeway (reverse the last bit of this ride http://app.strava.com/activities/63291402" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

spirro

Postby spirro » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:29 pm

Thanks guys. I'm looking at the route Lukeyboy suggested but also getting to Kedron Brook via Trouts Rd and Stafford Rd. Not sure which is best.

I'm also thinking whether its worth even getting on Kedron Brook bikeway. I found a fairly direct root running parallel to Enogerra Rd that could work. Just looking for the safest route and preferably the least hilly.
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:16 pm

You could continue along Leckie Road to Gympie Road and then onto Kedron Brook. That would be quicker than going via Mercer Park etc.

What part of Trouts road are you thinking? This way? https://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=U ... 3&lci=bike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spirro

Postby spirro » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:20 am

Lukeyboy wrote:You could continue along Leckie Road to Gympie Road and then onto Kedron Brook. That would be quicker than going via Mercer Park etc.

What part of Trouts road are you thinking? This way? https://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=U ... 3&lci=bike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah that's pretty much the alternative route I'm considering
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:34 am

Hmmmm, Aspley to the CBD is difficult to route.

Do you have the Ride the City app?

It is able to plot a route.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

spirro

Postby spirro » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:18 am

RonK wrote:Hmmmm, Aspley to the CBD is difficult to route.

Tell me about it. Whichever way you look it's a pretty ugly ride.

I haven't tried Ride the City. I've been playing with Google Maps and RideWithGPS to get some ideas.
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:38 am

spirro wrote:
RonK wrote:Hmmmm, Aspley to the CBD is difficult to route.

Tell me about it. Whichever way you look it's a pretty ugly ride.

I haven't tried Ride the City. I've been playing with Google Maps and RideWithGPS to get some ideas.
Ride the City will route you on bike paths, and it can plot a route but it's quite convoluted. But it does look like a sane route to me.

Unfortunately it is not able to export a route.

spirro

Postby spirro » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:21 pm

Ride the City has come up with a route I didn't think of. I bit convoluted but I could tweak it to make it work potentially. (eg. never thought about heading towards Wallace St Chermside)

http://www.ridethecity.com/brisbane#3042932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:24 pm

spirro wrote:Ride the City has come up with a route I didn't think of. I bit convoluted but I could tweak it to make it work potentially. (eg. never thought about heading towards Wallace St Chermside)

http://www.ridethecity.com/brisbane#3042932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ahhh - yes, I forgot there is a web page too. You can see what I mean about convoluted - imagine how you would try to explain it to somebody. But it does pick up the bikeways.

spirro

Postby spirro » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:59 pm

I'm planning on riding to work twice a week starting in a couple of weeks so just trying to finalise the route I'm going to take. Not entirely happy with either of these but they are probably the safest (trying to avoid busy main roads and big hills).

What are your thoughts on these options:

Option 1: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3564009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (ignore the loop near the Prince Charles hospital as I can go straight through - just couldn't map it)

Option 2: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3564001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are there better options I should be looking at? Option 1 is my preferred although my route to Kedron Brook bikeway is very convoluted.

Thanks
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:08 pm

I wouldn't pick option 2, particularly because of shand street unless you're going to go on the footpath on the wrong side of the road (inbound).

I'd use Uxbridge instead of Days.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:43 pm

I'd hit up Shand street. Take to the footpath early on and then utilize the switchback to get onto the Kedron Brook Bikeway.

Have you looked at going down Stringybark Street to Hamilton Road and then banging it along Trouts Road to Stafford Road. From what I remember there are wide shoulders/BAZ.

spirro

Postby spirro » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:51 pm

Lukeyboy wrote: Have you looked at going down Stringybark Street to Hamilton Road and then banging it along Trouts Road to Stafford Road. From what I remember there are wide shoulders/BAZ.
I did think about that. My option 2 meets up half way through Trouts Rd. I guess I was thinking the first part of Trouts Rd (up to Flockton St) is quite hilly.
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:19 pm

I've ridden Gympie Rd from Aspley to Kedron Park a few times in peak hour. I don't find it particularly dangerous.
What's everyone else think?

From KP, I join the KBB then Uxbridge, Kedron Brook Rd, and around past the hospital.

spirro

Postby spirro » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:31 pm

If I go down trouts rd and shand st, is it best to stick to the Alderley route or head over to the Grange/Wilston area on Kedron Brook road?
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:14 pm

spirro wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote: Have you looked at going down Stringybark Street to Hamilton Road and then banging it along Trouts Road to Stafford Road. From what I remember there are wide shoulders/BAZ.
I did think about that. My option 2 meets up half way through Trouts Rd. I guess I was thinking the first part of Trouts Rd (up to Flockton St) is quite hilly.
I'd say its hilly but not too hilly. Alot of parts you should be able to freewheel down then power up the other side. Would you be on a flatbar or drop bar bike?
spirro wrote:If I go down trouts rd and shand st, is it best to stick to the Alderley route or head over to the Grange/Wilston area on Kedron Brook road?
Bang it through Alderley. You can either a) go under Shand street to Royal Parade and then head through Alderly/Newmarket etc to the Enogerra Creek bikeway b) keep going along the footpath to the QPS Metro North building and cross at the intersection there on Pickering street c) keep going further and jump to the front of the queue of traffic coming off Samford road and continue along Enoggera Road to Newmarket railway station - http://www.strava.com/segments/4912637" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just try a few variations so you can push yourself at times and then on other days have a gentle ride into work.

spirro

Postby spirro » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks Luke

I'm riding a flat bar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014