My Ricardo Bushbike frshen up

Steve F

My Ricardo Bushbike frshen up

Postby Steve F » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:54 pm

I was originally looking for a cheap bike to chop up for my tadpole trike build but found this very close to home. It's an 89 Ricardo Bushbike, they only made them to this spec for 1 year (Ovaltech chain rings, 18 speed, Cromo frame and under frame rear brake) the 88 model had less gears and the 90 model dropped eveything including the cromo frame and became just another budget mountain bike :(

Anyway, as soon as I saw it I grabbed it ($20) and decided it needed to be saved and not chopped due to it's Aussie heritage and mild rarity.

I also dedcided I wasn't going to invest too much into it so a factory restore was out of the question but a rebuild with a few replacement parts but keeping the general feel would do the job.

Here it is when I brought it home.

And today, as tomorrow it goes off to get blasted and then from there on to the powder coaters for some of this

I also spent a little time this evening on the decals so I can print them on decal paper and redo them all myself.

Anyway, more pics after it's blasted and powdercoated, while I wait bits will get polished and cleaned and then she can go back together and I can get back on to my trike build :)

Cheers
Steve

Steve F

Re: My Ricardo Bushbike frshen up

Postby Steve F » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:23 pm

Pretty much finished the main frame logo, now to do the smaller ones.

Cheers
Steve

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:15 pm

Seriously laid back angles on that bike, it should look good. How do you go about drawing up your own decals?
Long day's journey into alt-bars

Steve F

Postby Steve F » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:36 pm

pentlandexile wrote:Seriously laid back angles on that bike, it should look good. How do you go about drawing up your own decals?
First step is to take a decent photo or find one online, from there I import into photoshop and select just the coloured section I need. Then it's a slow process of tidying up the edges and getting it to look good, it takes a little while but at a high resolution it's easier. For the script over the top I then created a second layer in photoshop and traced over the top of the script using the straight line tool as it's hard to do by hand and lots of small straight lines is much easier. Basically it's just a slow process of woking a photo in photoshop to a decal.

Cheers
Steve

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:56 pm

Lookin' good. I am keen to see the finished product.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:09 pm

Steve F,
might be worth contacting Ricardo Bushbike as he was writing about getting some decals made
As for the decal, I would have recreated the decal in Illustrator using a similar font, say AntiqueOliveNord-Italic, created outlines of the font, and massaged the font to match the original (particularly the 'R')
then stoked the outline.

Steve F

Postby Steve F » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:23 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:Steve F,
might be worth contacting Ricardo Bushbike as he was writing about getting some decals made
As for the decal, I would have recreated the decal in Illustrator using a similar font, say AntiqueOliveNord-Italic, created outlines of the font, and massaged the font to match the original (particularly the 'R')
then stoked the outline.
We've had a chat and he had no luck with decals but does have some images he's going to send me. I tried starting with a stock font but couldn't get the look and wanted this main decal to be 'right', I'm using a stock font for the 'Bushbike/GS' decal though unless I can get a good picture to start with, mine has all but rubbed away but I dont think this decal is so critical as it's a fair bit smaller. The images I put up are just JPG conversions, I have them as photoshop files in layers so I can still tweak them as needed :) I might have a play with illustrator now that you mention it though :)

Cheers
Steve

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:55 pm

Whatthefont suggested the best font was
OL London Black Italic font
but I don't have that, and too cheap to buy it.
The one I suggested is a good starting point, but a high quality photo, ideally with some reference points and accurate measurements would make it a relatively easy task.
Always better to work in Illustrator for decals.

Steve F

Postby Steve F » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:58 pm

S'funny, I used that as well yesterday and got the same font, and it's pretty damn close but was $32USD or something, forget that.... Grabbed Illustrator off the work server and redid the decal to see how it went, it's a smoother more accurate one so I'll do the rest like this as well.

And the original, I think I might need to tweak the 'C' a little more but not bad for about 45 minutes :)

Cheers
Steve

Steve F

Postby Steve F » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:39 pm

Picked up from the blasters and dropped off at the powder coaters :) Remebered to grab a quick pic of it in the boot before I dropped it off. Cant wait to get it back now :)

Cheers
Steve

Steve F

Postby Steve F » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:16 pm

Got the frame back from the powder coaters :) Now to have a go at printing out the decals and to clean the components and put them back on. I went with a Dormant Sparkle Red as he had it in stock so was quite a bit cheaper.

Cant wait to ride it :)

Cheers
Steve

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:32 pm

Looks good. The powder coaters could of taped up your canti studs for you though. They might be a bit tight when you remount the calipers.

Steve F

Postby Steve F » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:46 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Looks good. The powder coaters could of taped up your canti studs for you though. They might be a bit tight when you remount the calipers.
For $80 I wont complain :)

Cheers
Steve

Steve F

Postby Steve F » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:21 pm

Did a little more today, stripped the head stem and seat post of their black paint and gave them a polish, I didn't go for a mirror finish as I want a little characted. The seat post I twisted in my hand while I held the sand paper to give it a bit of a brushed look. For the stem I used paint stripped first and then lightly sanded and then hand polished with a bit of metal blue, I didn;t sand out the odd nick etc as I think it gives it a bit of age. I'm liking working with what I have, keeps the cost down and is quite satisfying over buying new.

You can see a bit of the sparkle in the paint in this pic.

Cheers
Steve

Steve F

Postby Steve F » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:00 pm

Polished the spokes and hubs, stripped the bars and primered, found an old kickstand painted and fitted. Next to put the top coat on the bars and polish up the dia-compe calipers and refit as well as clean out the little bit of powder coat in the top of the seat stem tube that is making it hard to get the seat back on.

Cheers
Steve

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:05 pm

Did you pull out the axles, clean and repackage the bearings. Always a good thing to do with old wheels.

Steve F

Postby Steve F » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:15 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Did you pull out the axles, clean and repackage the bearings. Always a good thing to do with old wheels.
These wheels are off a new (read cheap) bike that I picked up on gumtree to chop for it's suspension rear end and a few other bits being used in my tadpole trike build, just a temporary measure while the stock wheels get new spokes and a full rebuild (including bearings) :) All I did with these was give them a polish and a clean even running the tyres that were on them, on the plus side the bearings are smooth and nicely greased and it'd be lucky to have done more than a few hundred km's.

Cheers
Steve

Steve F

Postby Steve F » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:22 pm

Bars and seat turned up today, waiting at the front door when I got home. I couldn't help bolting them on for a look and a quick test sit.

Was getting a bit dark for a pic but what the hey :)

Now to get some of the mechanicals sorted.

Cheers
Steve

Steve F

Postby Steve F » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:56 am

Printed out the RICARDO decals on clear water slide inkjet paper and then sprayed with 4 coats of clear acrylic lacquer (automotive) after letting them dry for half an hour. I had enough room on a single A4 sheet to do two copies of the decals. I'll let these dry for 6 hours or so and then I'll try the single 'R' that goes on the headstem. I think they should work well if they can stand up to the weather. Once I put them on the bike I'll dust them with another coat of clear to potect the cut edges.

You can see the clear coat adds a decent gloss to them :)

Cheers
Steve

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:38 pm

Those decals look great.

Steve F

Postby Steve F » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:42 pm

They didn't quite turn out as I was hoping when I put a couple on to see how they went (I made plenty just in case) But I've got to say I quite like the look, printed on the clear they are more of a ghost decal, the camera doesn't show them very well but you can still see the script and the grey is just enough to give them a slightly different tint.

I'm thinking I will stick with this look :)

Cheers
Steve

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:56 pm

Steve F wrote:I'm thinking I will stick with this look
+1
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:00 pm

rangersac wrote:
Steve F wrote:I'm thinking I will stick with this look
+1
Yep, looks the goods.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Steve F

Postby Steve F » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:58 am

Needed some other decals so made these, you can get them on ebay as NOS but they are about what I paid for the bike ;) I printed these on white decal paper so will need to trim to the edge but it should look as printed when on the bike.

Cheers
Steve

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:04 pm

Wow, you're a natural with Illustrator, Steve!
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.