fatigue at the start rather than end?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
DoubleSpeeded

fatigue at the start rather than end?

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:39 pm

ive noticed when i hop onto the bicycle, the first 8km of the ride i am the most tired and the build up in the muscles are more strenuous.

but after a while especially a break in between, i feel much better.

either its the effects of the Energy Gels ive taken during the break or its just having to do with muscles warming up... or any other scientific explanation

anyone shed some light?

Im assuming this is why Time Trialists warm up for some time on a trainer prior to a race.

bollo

Re: fatigue at the start rather than end?

Postby bollo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:00 pm

i tend to get the same thing , i find the 1st 20 minutes of a ride can be the hardest but as the K's roll on you com good , i out it down to lactic acid in your legs & maybe some muscle pump one they settle down you feel better , that's why i think you see guys warming up before races , to over come that

ps i don't use a gel until atleast around the 45 minutes to an hour depending on who i am riding with & the pace we are riding
2013 Cube Lightning HPC SL Race
2012 Merida Scultura Evo 905

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:17 pm

bollo wrote:i tend to get the same thing , i find the 1st 20 minutes of a ride can be the hardest but as the K's roll on you com good , i out it down to lactic acid in your legs & maybe some muscle pump one they settle down you feel better , that's why i think you see guys warming up before races , to over come that

ps i don't use a gel until atleast around the 45 minutes to an hour depending on who i am riding with & the pace we are riding
Yeah like the ride i had today... first 20 mins i felt like crap... Build up of muscles.. cardio vascular fatigue... flem dripping .. brain was telling me to STOP .. but yeah 35 mins i was going great... sat down... had a gel and a cold drink... powered the way back with no issues watsoever.

i used to think, "why are those time trialist wasting thier energy before the race and going hard on the trainer?!"

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:13 pm

Most us I'm sure have experienced a sluggish start at least some of the time. Nothing unusual at all about that.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:49 am

Pretty standard for me. It can take up to 20km for me to get going, then it's all about enjoying the ride. I won't eat my first bar or gel until 40km/50km in to a ride. A few factors determine what foods and amounts I take on my rides. If I'm not stopping and doing 120km plus, I will take a small salad and cheese on a bun, and this is my mid ride snack.

vince

Postby vince » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:53 pm

on the tv show "the biggest loser", one of the trainers once said about training "use the 10 minute rule" she explained that no matter how unmotivated you feel, mentally I guess, start your training and give it 10 minutes, 90% of the time your bodies chemicals will cut in and you'll start to feel good by then and complete your training. I don't know if she had science on her side but it seems to work for me
2011 Fuji Roubaix 1
"Man plans, God laughs"

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:32 pm

vince wrote:on the tv show "the biggest loser", one of the trainers once said about training "use the 10 minute rule" she explained that no matter how unmotivated you feel, mentally I guess, start your training and give it 10 minutes, 90% of the time your bodies chemicals will cut in and you'll start to feel good by then and complete your training. I don't know if she had science on her side but it seems to work for me
i see..
im sure there is a scientific explanation

but fair enough

shame about the first 10 - 20 mins of riding i guess where you wont perform well

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:39 pm

I think its the 15 or 20 minutes it takes for your body to surrender to what is being done to it. I also find the first three ot four kays the hardest and then I start to get into it and really enjoy it.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:15 pm

Nothing unusual about it. I had the same problem when I was racing and it cost me a State Title as a Juvenille before I found out I needed to have a good warm up before racing.:idea:

Foo

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:17 pm

First hill i always start my ride on is the worst, even though it's not that big.

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:39 pm

Bah77 wrote:First hill i always start my ride on is the worst, even though it's not that big.
dont start me on hills champ

i hate them

MTB, small chainrings and large cassettte... Not too bad but still a nuisance.

TT bike, large chainring & small cassette + Disc wheel = HELL

kx315

Postby kx315 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:22 pm

Good to hear all above......I thought I was the only one! My first 8 k's suck!!
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:47 pm

Happens all the time for me. I need about 10min before I'm firing on all cylinders.

I'll just go slowly and spin at around 95-100rpm for a while, that works well.

Once I'm warmed up I can get along pretty fast. :)

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:35 pm

g-boaf wrote:Happens all the time for me. I need about 10min before I'm firing on all cylinders.

I'll just go slowly and spin at around 95-100rpm for a while, that works well.

Once I'm warmed up I can get along pretty fast. :)

sounds like you have crank sensors?

i got one and a heart beat sensor supplied with my Garmin 810 Edge. but i havent bothered to use it

wonder if its worth while

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:09 pm

Yes, very worthwhile if you are following a training regime, as they will usually specify cadence (crank speed) for the different types of intervals and recovery.

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:50 pm

trailgumby wrote:Yes, very worthwhile if you are following a training regime, as they will usually specify cadence (crank speed) for the different types of intervals and recovery.

what about heartbeat.. for cardio/fat burn?

i was reluctant to put it on because its just like 810 Garmin Edge has a GPS navigator ... i have never used or even looked at it