e-bikes China

DealeXtreme

e-bikes China

Postby DealeXtreme » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:25 pm

e-bikes have been used in China over the past 10 years and took over from bicycles 10 years before that. Now in many Cities, e-bikes have been banned due to excess traffic accidents. I live in China and think these e-bike are pretty good for a few hundred$.

diggler

Re: e-bikes China

Postby diggler » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:31 am

I am in China right at this moment. I am in the city of Zhongshan. There are electric bikes everywhere. They mix with the cars, motor bikes, bicycles and pedestrians. Helmet use seems to be optional. Lights seem to be optional too. There are things here that make my hair stand on end. Following road rules seems to be optional. Stopping at pedestrian crossings is optional.

I've seem electric bikes on small roads, big roads, bike paths.

I've seen electric bikes carrying goods and passengers.

I've seen people riding electric bikes while carrying an umbrella.

I have yet to see any accidents though.

The speeds seem to be a lot lower than in Australia so maybe there is less chance of collision or less severity of collision.

People use their horns a lot in the back streets. They use them as they were intended, as a warning device rather than an expression of anger.

All e bikes appear to be throttle only.

Only poor people still have bicycles. Nobody rides bicycles for fun or fitness. Bikes here look generally heavy and slow.

Macau was full of petrol powered mopeds, not electric.

I don't have a bike here but i would love to have a ride.
Motorists hate cyclists and cyclists hate the motorists and the pedestrians hate the bikers and everybody hates the trucks.

ironhanglider

Re: e-bikes China

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:47 pm

diggler wrote:I am in China right at this moment. I am in the city of Zhongshan. There are electric bikes everywhere. They mix with the cars, motor bikes, bicycles and pedestrians. Helmet use seems to be optional. Lights seem to be optional too. There are things here that make my hair stand on end. Following road rules seems to be optional. Stopping at pedestrian crossings is optional.

I've seem electric bikes on small roads, big roads, bike paths.

I've seen electric bikes carrying goods and passengers.

I've seen people riding electric bikes while carrying an umbrella.

I have yet to see any accidents though.

The speeds seem to be a lot lower than in Australia so maybe there is less chance of collision or less severity of collision.

People use their horns a lot in the back streets. They use them as they were intended, as a warning device rather than an expression of anger.

All e bikes appear to be throttle only.

Only poor people still have bicycles. Nobody rides bicycles for fun or fitness. Bikes here look generally heavy and slow.

Macau was full of petrol powered mopeds, not electric.

I don't have a bike here but i would love to have a ride.
I lived in Beijing for 2 1/2 years which is as flat as a pancake and well suited to SS bikes. Don't know Zhongshan though sorry.
My regular bike was just a SS with a step-through frame with shopping basket and rack. I could still use the e-bikes for motorpacing though. :wink:

Get yourself a $50 bike to ride, then give it away when you leave.

There are no road rules, just guidelines.

Most of the drivers are only first generation drivers, so they tend to drive like they are still on bikes. Despite the chaos on the roads, the attitude is pretty good and that makes up for a lot. People do some weird things (like backing up the off ramp of a motorway) but no-one gets aggro, or tries to teach them a lesson, or anything else, they just go around and get on with their lives.

Helmets were only worn by deranged Lao Wai and actually work like a force field because no-one wants to come near to you. Ditto for lights.

Cheers,

Cameron