Thomas Street closure

CXCommuter

Thomas Street closure

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:05 pm

Noted that the Thomas Street cycleway near the offramp from the freeway is blocked this morning with no idea of when it will be re-opened. Pretty carp information on this anyway I can find on diversions, length of closure etc which is annoying as this is a very busy connector between the northern PSP and the Fremantle PSP.

rolandp

Re: Thomas Street closure

Postby rolandp » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:41 am

This was Friday morning, which I reported to MainRoads. It was not there on Friday evening, so I thought they had sorted it out.

Monday morning, it is back, and again reported to MainRoads, and this time Loftus/Cambridge corner is also closed, as well as this evening.

Following the detour signs tonight, the diversion route is:

OK going into Perth if you hop onto Loftus St, however, going out of Perth, it is poor.

No notification available anywhere and MainRoads only indicated that I would get a response in 10 working days.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:11 am

Two workers were abusing two asian pedestrians for walking on the bridge then taking the cycle reserve of Loftus/Thomas after the offramp/Cambridge St. lights.

I went by Lake Monger and saw the new western side of freeway PSP accessible again.

redned

Postby redned » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:33 am

eldavo wrote: I went by Lake Monger and saw the new western side of freeway PSP accessible again.
I went that way as well because I couldn't see where the diversion went. But there are many joggers in the dark along the Lake Monger stretch. Some with reflectors on shoes which helps and one with a rear-facing light (woo hoo), but many ninjas.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:31 pm

This is ongoing, with the cycle lane of Loftus/Thomas Street also blocked this morning. The below photo was of last week, and barricades now located all the way across the cycle lane:
The work is part of the Mitchell Fway Widening Project and hopefully I will get a response from the prime contractors ABIGroup on why they decided to close the PSP without notice and putting in place a diversion that takes us onto a footpath.

The diversion which we are currently riding on also had some 'earth works' this evening:
Image taken tonight and is the north/west corner of Loftus/Railway St.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:53 pm

rolandp wrote:This is ongoing, with the cycle lane of Loftus/Thomas Street also blocked this morning. The below photo was of last week, and barricades now located all the way across the cycle lane:
You'll notice all these riders running the red light where we used to have the green man on the path.
Last time I was there I stopped at the red with the cars while 3 riders in front went through the red. After my green I then passed them as they had to stop for the Roe St. red light... so nothing to be gained by blatantly running this red light in front of a few dozen cars stopped for it. The lights frequency in peak hour is the same at max limits with traffic loading all bases so I suggest stop and drink some water, breathe some fumes, and carry on when it's green.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:55 pm

Heard back from ABIGroup today.
Email title: Footpath Closure
Thank You for your enquiry.
We have reviewed our approved traffic management plan with Main Roads and installed a “Cyclist Dismount” sign to enable cyclist to us the path detour correctly. All cyclists are required to cooperate until the path is reopened on completion of our works, scheduled to finish in about a week’s time weather permitting.
I apologise for any temporary inconvenience this has caused you. If you would like a direct response in future, please don’t hesitate to contact me on the below email or contact numbers.
Shakes his head.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:46 am

This area is still closed.

The one week until completed is now two weeks, and I personally can't see what has occurred in the last two weeks to suggest that it will be finished soon.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:50 pm

Cyclists down, corner of Loftus St and Leederville Pde, potentially following the diversion currently in place at this location. All I saw was bike in back of ambulance, and police car also present. Anyone have any other details?

jlh

Postby jlh » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:53 pm

No details, but it wouldn't surprised me if someone was trying to beat traffic when lights were red. I used to live nearby and commute there most days and its a perennial red light running location.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:01 pm

I saw a near miss head on with car at the detour while behind a rider Tuesday 30th July, after I saw same rider have a near miss head on with cyclist earlier at Powis Street overpass!
I saw him again Wednesday and Thursday by chance at earlier times each day, and he seemed to have got a fright by trying to race ahead taking risks the first day, and was taking it easier riding more responsibly the next two days so I didn't post anything, but I did save the frames at the time because it was typical for both locations.

Earlier he had ran wide at this turn into oncoming lane to carry speed through the blind uphill bend onto bridge continuing in oncoming lane and darts back at last moment, delayed by the bollard, when a cyclist coming downhill off the bridge around the blind bend suddenly appears, with headlight visible.

When people take chances leaving little time or room for control to change the situation, it's just down to the luck of time and space.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:07 pm

eldavo wrote:When people take chances leaving little time or room for control to change the situation, it's just down to the luck of time and space.
A Commuter Cup chasing Strava-tard perchance?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:25 pm

Not sure about the Strava, some people you catch up to have a "nobody gets past" CCR mentality, and I don't want to be drafted by them when they throw out all sense with moves like this =P
He also ran the red light on that bridge following the detour I mentioned earlier in thread while rest of 3 lanes of cars 6 deep on the bridge were stopped.

The next two days he was a courteous rider erring on side of caution, we all do stupid things at some point, some get away with it with just a refresher.
I had rub my eyes and look at the video frames later to match the unique identifiers of his kit and bike to believe it was the same guy =D

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:11 am

Noticed the concrete has been laid on the diversion, would have been laid some time yesterday.

Anyone know how long this takes to dry, hopefully only 1 day and we can ride on it tomorrow.

Shame it doesn't include removing traffic lights located on the shared path:
even though extra tall/wide traffic lights have been installed as part of the freeway extension at this location (you can see one in the above image)

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:16 am

I usually can't etch my initials in it by the next day, so probably dry but give it til Monday I suspect ;)

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:10 am

at least they have replaced the barriers with some cones so you don't have to battle through the buses etc!!
Eldavo- have seen mutliple cyclists (and peds actually) risk it all on that corner, and running the red further up.

I don't mind the morning run heading north but sick of the evening run down the other side of Thomas Street and down Leederville Parade to join the PSP near the roundabout, not ergonomically entertaining

dampier

Postby dampier » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:12 pm

The signs are down and it appears to be open. I was walking through the underpass and suddenly realized that I had to check both sides.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:53 am

Yay it is open but they appear to have safety bunting up along the work area which signifies they may need to do some landscaping in the near future. A few confused cyclists as a result of the open path (habits die hard)

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:03 am

5 months on, and got tired of hitting the lip of the lid of the manhole each day. Below photo doesn't do it justice, but the north end was sitting up several cm's.

Report raised Wednesday morning, and rectified that day.

I've also asked (again) when the traffic lights will be relocated - reported last year when this work was being undertaken. MainRoads were able to install overhead lights for traffic exiting Mitchell Fway as part of the works that occurred 5 months ago, so this traffic light should also have been converted to a overhead light and the pole relocated off the shared path to the east. If they are going to correct a intersection by spending $'s, it should include all issues at that intersection, not just the ones for the motorists.

This Loftus St section has been previously been reported to MainRoads where there are several narrow spots and traffic lights installed on the shared path, and I managed to capture this poor person as a demonstration of how close these items are on the shared path:

redned

Postby redned » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:22 pm

Ouch! Not sure how she did that. I have come close if I come across a pedestrian or cyclist at the pinch points where that pole and the one in the still photo are, but she was well past that.