Vote4Cycling - Election Guide from a Cycling Perspective

Aushiker

Vote4Cycling - Election Guide from a Cycling Perspective

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:41 am

If you are interested in the forthcoming election and what the polices etc are on cycling, this website may be of interest ... http://vote4cycling.com.au/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andrew

g-boaf

Re: Vote4Cycling - Election Guide from a Cycling Perspective

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:57 am

NSW - No records found.

Hardly surprising.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:07 am

g-boaf wrote:NSW - No records found.

Hardly surprising.
I think it is still being built ... there is a statement that they have contacted all 750 candidates for a response. Early days.

There is also a petition that can be signed.

Andrew

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:36 pm

Hardly surprising.
Agreed.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:49 pm

JohnJoyner wrote:

Hardly surprising.
Agreed.
You got the meaning! :lol:

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:54 pm

Bicycle Network to the rescue NSW!

:lol:
http://m.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2 ... FaNiZW&s=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:02 pm

Ahem....

"The following topics / content does not belong in this forum:
• Religion / Sexuality / Sex / Politics / Race & Ethnicity"
Not my circus, not my monkeys

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:55 pm

Aushiker wrote:

Hardly surprising.
I think it is still being built ... there is a statement that they have contacted all 750 candidates for a response. Early days.

Andrew
It's too late for this election. Given the election date was set at the start of the year (alright it ended up a week earlier) the work which needed to be done has been left until it's too late. So hopefully all will be in place for the next election. Meanwhile, the motorist lobby groups are united and actively lobbying.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:50 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Ahem....

"The following topics / content does not belong in this forum:
• Religion / Sexuality / Sex / Politics / Race & Ethnicity"
It was not posted as a debate about politics, it was posted as a resource about the website which is focused on encouraging engagement in cycling in the context of the election, engagement of course is something we seek here regularly. Oh BTW being promoted by BNA as well ...

Andrew

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:26 pm

I'd reply like that too.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:03 pm

#vote4cycling has just started (officially started yesterday) and candidates across Australia are being asked to publish their position on cycling - it does mean that we have wait a little until candidates start reacting however residents can also recommend to their local candidates to participate.

What is interesting is that all of the major cycling organisations and communities are behind this - including BNA - and it is worth getting cycling seriously on the political agenda.

On the politics discussion, this is endorsed by me, so check! And also is cycling advocacy related where and the intension of the rule on politics and 'isms' is about topics which divide this cycling community.
Cycling is in my BNA

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:01 pm

All of the major groups aren't involved, although with some of that convoluted involvement I'm not surprised SCA didn't get the memo.
Fifty percent of those involved want to make a difference including the AGF (did I just say that?), the other half ie State Org's, simply want to top up the coffers should things go their way.
As for (and only relating to) future investment in cycling? I'd say vote Labor. They have a history of throwing tax payers dollars around. Greens? Not a realistic chance of gaining seats. These aren't my political views btw, that's just an observation. I'll be voting how I see fit but am a fence sitter so far this year.
Well done on your involvement Chris.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:26 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:All of the major groups aren't involved, although with some of that convoluted involvement I'm not surprised SCA didn't get the memo..
I agree with this comment. I don't believe Bicycle Transport Alliance was invited either and this is despite their or rather CycleSnail extensive efforts in lobbying and working for WA cyclists.

That said I still think anything that raises awareness of cycling issues it is a great initiative, it is just a pity more effort wasn't put into working together.

Andrew

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:38 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:All of the major groups aren't involved, although with some of that convoluted involvement I'm not surprised SCA didn't get the memo.
With the release of the Walking, Riding and Access to Public Transport report and subsequent election announcement the Vote4Cycling initiative has been quite fast paced and while BNA has not had more than positive contact with the Cycling Promotion Fund, the recent contact and size of the community makes BNA (along with Sydney Cyclist, Brisbane Cyclist and Melbourne Cyclist) good supporters with active online communities.

While I still feel that my comments are correct when looking at membership and influence I also know that there are many other organisations in Australia who operate in different capacities, with different strategies and focus. I am not a decision maker though the vote4cycling initiative is about inclusion and Dava, I can provide the contact.

I do however know, first hand, that the effort involved has been relentless and in my own memory, this is the biggest union of support that I can recall.
Cycling is in my BNA

VRE

Postby VRE » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:13 am

biker jk wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

Hardly surprising.

Andrew
It's too late for this election. Given the election date was set at the start of the year (alright it ended up a week earlier) the work which needed to be done has been left until it's too late. So hopefully all will be in place for the next election. Meanwhile, the motorist lobby groups are united and actively lobbying.
Agreed :( . I can't believe this web site was set up so late (a major stuff-up, in my opinion). It won't be nearly as effective as it could have been.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:47 pm

VRE wrote:(a major stuff-up, in my opinion)
While it is not obvious how much work is going into this to make it possible, if it was more obvious and the positive consequences of this more apparant, I am certain there would be much more positive support and action.
Cycling is in my BNA

VRE

Postby VRE » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:25 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
VRE wrote:(a major stuff-up, in my opinion)
While it is not obvious how much work is going into this to make it possible, if it was more obvious and the positive consequences of this more apparant, I am certain there would be much more positive support and action.
I know, I'm just very disappointed at the timing. I just revisited the website, and the Victoria page now lists 4 candidates, which is good, but they all appear to be only partly English-literate, which is bad :lol: . Or perhaps they forwarded notes to an inept typist?

Brian Woods: nice spiel overall, but I'm concerned about his comment on cyclists riding outside bike lanes. We all know that sometimes the lanes are "impracticable" to ride in, and so we exercise our right to avoid such sections of lane. Perhaps Mr Wood missed that fine point in our road rules?

Sam Porter: not bad. Pity he's not in my electorate, the oh so cyclist-friendly Deakin :roll: .

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:50 pm

I got an update that the candidates have been from the Greens or the Clive Palmer party. A lot of activity happening this weekend.
Cycling is in my BNA

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:00 am

Did I hear correctly this morning? The Liberal Party - Warren Truss to be precise, will commit to make cycling safety a priority.

No details were given how this would be achieved. Is this merely a hollow election promise? Is it recognition that cyclists are a political force when a united front is presented?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:52 am

An valid point.
Regardless of whether there is a serious committment, cycling has been elevated as a topic which is a good thing. There has been growing coverage from Vote4Cycling on TV, print media and through the supporters which means that some politicians may start to see cyclists as a 'targetable' audience.
Cycling is in my BNA

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:14 pm

RonK wrote:Did I hear correctly this morning? The Liberal Party - Warren Truss to be precise, will commit to make cycling safety a priority.

No details were given how this would be achieved. Is this merely a hollow election promise? Is it recognition that cyclists are a political force when a united front is presented?
Stop the Bikes!
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

stanevelyn

Postby stanevelyn » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:27 pm

When I went to vote I checked the vote 4 cycling list of candidates in my area and there were none listed :evil: , so I didn't vote for anybody.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:57 pm

There were none in my seat of McMahon who supported cycling. Not Labor, not Green, not PUP, not LNP, not Bullet Train for Australia, not ASXP nor anyone else. Disappointing.

It was not going to be effective this election anyhow given the violent hullabaloo over big name issues.

You'd have needed Clive Palmer's budget just to get the message through to the broader public.