Great forum, the land of vagely normal( whatever that is)

pospete

Great forum, the land of vagely normal( whatever that is)

Postby pospete » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:09 pm

I've just finnished posting on the Vic bike forum, and I am irritated beyond sanity at some peoples attitude. I won't bore you with the details but some people have given me cause for concern. May they rot in hell. I'm just gonna stick with this forum from now on. a much better class of people in here. 8)
Talk to the hand

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Great forum, the land of vagely normal( whatever that is

Postby heavymetal » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:40 pm

pospete wrote:a much better class of people in here. 8)
I'm not sure about that. :D But we do have a better sense of humour.

I don't visit there anymore because their system keeps logging me out and I forgot my password.

timbo

Postby timbo » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:46 pm

Some people do take themselves too seriously don't they. I only hope that they don't carry that attitude out on to the public roads when they go for a ride.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:59 pm

pospete wrote:...some people have given me cause for concern. May they rot in hell. I'm just gonna stick with this forum from now on. a much better class of people in here. 8)
Never looked at the Vic forum, everything I need is here except the approval from the powerball finance co. :?

Better go over for a look, maybe stir a few pots?

No offence to anyone, I went off that mob when one of their mailouts had words to the like of "now it's spring, dust off your saddle and pump up your tyres." :x W?&%§"S :!:

The only dust on my bikes are good honest trail and road grime, shed dust on a rideable scoot is a mark of shame to both scoot and owner.

matagi

Postby matagi » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:16 pm

pospete wrote:I've just finnished posting on the Vic bike forum, and I am irritated beyond sanity at some peoples attitude. I won't bore you with the details but some people have given me cause for concern. May they rot in hell. I'm just gonna stick with this forum from now on. a much better class of people in here. 8)
Hey! It's an internet forum, they all have their resident w?&%§"s. Although I admit I'm curious as to who you found so irritating - don't s'pose you'd like to say? :wink:

MJF

Postby MJF » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:41 pm

Lol - it's a shame pospete edited the text out of all of his posts.

Fairly easy to see where he was coming from, however...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:51 pm

Friendships can be lost over 5mm of crank

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:02 pm

So which Atomik did you get and what's it like pospete? :)

pospete

Postby pospete » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:06 pm

sorry about that but I guess i decided as they could'nt see any other point of view I would'nt leave anything for their benefit. I am sure you get the gist of it tho, but basically, they slaged Atomik off primarily based on an ebay advert picture of a bike , that was not even set up. My point was that none of the statements amounted to anything factual as they had neither seen one in person, or handled one or riden one, or even looked into them. My point was that my opinion was they were a bunch of snobbish boars for slagging something off on the basis of a picture. They then proceded to justify their comments, by saying stuff like the group set was old hat, which was fine but they failed to grasp that as some of us had very limited budgets ,Myne being as close to $400 as possible, hence looking at Atomik, that there had to be some compromise with those factors which we were aware of. None of them came up with anything factual. I tried to shown myne as an example, , that as a reasonably informed person I may not have a proven name but the frame is of a good quality for a low budget bike, the shocks ( made in the USA) may not be the best but they are great for my needs and the disc breaks perform faultlessly, even with my sometimes reckless riding, to which the general sentiment was they were right and I was wrong.
Talk to the hand

pospete

Postby pospete » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:11 pm

I got an Atomik Peak, basically a Hardtail MTB. I paid $425 on Ebay as opposed to buying it in their showroom for $650. I never expected it to be in the same league as my old GT Zaskar, but as a start off it's ok. It has triple wall rims , which are quite able to survive a 3ft jump and I know that allready, the shocks are Mozo, which although not the best are reasonable, and they are adjustable. and it has'nt fallen apart at my reckless speading down the hills of Melbourne.
Talk to the hand

pospete

Postby pospete » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:13 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Friendships can be lost over 5mm of crank

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage

Oh thats the start of a poem!
Friendships can be lost over 5mm of crank,
When they talk a lot of W__K :lol:

If you need a clue the missing letters are N and A( not in order)
Talk to the hand

pospete

Postby pospete » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:19 pm

I can't comment on other models all I can say is that myne is a cheap way into the sport. It is'nt the best but never claimes to be, but it's a good start and well able to cope with my reckless behavior. For what i paid I cannot complain. I am very impressed with the quality and finnish of the frame. For the money the compromise is groupset but all 24 work fine, and as and when bits need replacing they can be.
Talk to the hand

pospete

Postby pospete » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:24 pm

matagi wrote:
pospete wrote:I've just finnished posting on the Vic bike forum, and I am irritated beyond sanity at some peoples attitude. I won't bore you with the details but some people have given me cause for concern. May they rot in hell. I'm just gonna stick with this forum from now on. a much better class of people in here. 8)
Hey! It's an internet forum, they all have their resident !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!. Although I admit I'm curious as to who you found so irritating - don't s'pose you'd like to say? :wink:

It would be ungentlemanly to name names! LOL, but suffice to say I shall be avoiding Blackburn Vic.
Talk to the hand

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:27 pm

pospete wrote:I got an Atomik Peak...
Peak looks okay actually, I wouldn't buy their dual suspension designs, certainly wouldn't buy the Mamba road bike (I'd go Cell in that price range), but the Peak looks pretty safe and conventional in design.

Did yours come with that funky/odd thread lacing pattern?

As with any bike, you check that the brakes work, the wheels are on properly, and nothing's rattling loose, and you should be fine.

pospete

Postby pospete » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:48 pm

Bnej wrote:
pospete wrote:I got an Atomik Peak...
Peak looks okay actually, I wouldn't buy their dual suspension designs, certainly wouldn't buy the Mamba road bike (I'd go Cell in that price range), but the Peak looks pretty safe and conventional in design.

Did yours come with that funky/odd thread lacing pattern?

As with any bike, you check that the brakes work, the wheels are on properly, and nothing's rattling loose, and you should be fine.

As it was before I bid I did go to their showroom and check it out, after paying on Ebay i went back and assembled a new one out of the box, , just the usual front wheel , seat and post, bars and pedals. I added pedal clips. It is certainly well designed and yeah I guess funky is an apt desription. Tho the wheels are non branded, they are triple walled, which considering i weigh 99.6KGs( Fat B-stard size)and I've cleared 3ft without a buckle. The 1st day I road about 40 K( home) so pretty much had it set up by the time i got in, including a swim in the bay.
I would'nt have chosen their dual suspension either but only because I don't think dual suspension of any make would improve my ability. I have also clocked almost 70Kph down one of Melbournes steeper hills, I bottled out of going any faster, tho I expect the weight helped!!!
Talk to the hand

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:53 pm

The Peak looks like a good way to return to the fold Pete. As you've said, when a part "wears out" on a dropin :wink: get the best replacement you can.

Can't stand the snobs, the best bike on Earth won't see me onto the podium at Le Tour. DAMN

pospete

Postby pospete » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:38 pm

I'm a firm believer in "What goes around......."
I won't stop being helpful to anyone I meet tho, unless they identify themselves as being Spawn of Satan! :lol:
Talk to the hand

matagi

Postby matagi » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:27 pm

pospete wrote:It would be ungentlemanly to name names! LOL, but suffice to say I shall be avoiding Blackburn Vic.
Ok, gotcha!

I hadn't actually looked at that thread because I know nothing about Atomik bikes but having just read it, I am intrigued by the number of people who made comments without apparently ever having seen one or ridden one. As the original poster pointed out several times on the first few pages.

There was definitely some snobbery at work there regardless of protestations to the contrary.

pospete

Postby pospete » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:23 pm

I guess i realised they were not the sort of people I'dd want to hang out with! Mind you i don't suppose i could afford to! :lol:

At the end of the day it's their loss not myne and as I'm a firm believer in Karma, ie what goes around.... etc ( not Karma karma karma chamelion!!!) :lol:
Talk to the hand

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:08 pm

Snobs are everywhere it seems :( Copped a few sneers and comments 'bout the baggy shorts on thenewone, been less than a week :roll:

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:17 pm

Why did you allow other posters to irritate you? Stay calm and remember it's all virtual! :wink:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:50 am

sogood wrote:Stay calm and remember it's all virtual!
Sogood is really a robot. Clever... but a robot.

btw. I have edited a few bad words out of some posts on this thread. No hard feelings... just trying to keep the forum accesible for General Audience (ie think kids). I recommend self-consorship... a bunch of %$§/"€'s do the trick quite nicely. So if any of you &/%§$ have &*§/" the /("§/-"§ and '§#§€ baseball bat and =$&%$!

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:28 am

AUbicycles wrote:Sogood is really a robot. Clever... but a robot.
Well, it's what one has to learn in the online world and Usenet is a good place to start. Flame wars are common and happens on every single forum. If you don't stay detached, then you'll eventually leave every single forum in existence. One should constantly remember that flame wars are just games played by virtual members. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

matagi

Postby matagi » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:32 am

AUbicycles wrote:btw. I have edited a few bad words out of some posts on this thread. No hard feelings... just trying to keep the forum accesible for General Audience (ie think kids). I recommend self-consorship... a bunch of %$§/"€'s do the trick quite nicely. So if any of you &/%§$ have &*§/" the /("§/-"§ and '§#§€ baseball bat and =$&%$!
Umm, yeah, ok, what the .....? :?

Can I have a translation? :P

(BTW, the average 14-year-old has a vocabulary that would make your hair stand on end)

matagi

Postby matagi » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:46 am

pospete wrote:I guess i realised they were not the sort of people I'dd want to hang out with! Mind you i don't suppose i could afford to! :lol:
Yeah, the BV forum is starting to get a little cliquey - a lot of the people who post on there also ride together and the whole place is starting to develop into a private chat/message board with occasional input from those of us on the outside.

Some of them are clearly clueless when it comes to money. I remember last year someone who was (to me, at least) very obviously a teenager still at school who asked about bikes under $700 and got a couple of "you need to budget at least $1000" type replies. Which is of course utter rubbish.

BTW, I ride a bike that cost me $500 brand new and am currently building up a drop bar road bike, which will probably cost me around $400 by the time I finish. However, I'm a bit of a Luddite, I like steel frames and as long as you know what you are looking for, you can score some real bargains on the used bike market.