From east to west

djw47

From east to west

Postby djw47 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:27 am

Can anybody recommend a route from the Dandenongs to Point Cook that mainly uses cycle paths?

I was thinking Dandenong Creek trail to Eastlink trail to Eastern freeway trail to Yarra trail, through Docklands- Footscray Rd, then down through Altona etc.

Anybody done this route before? Is it easy to navigate between the various trails?

clackers

Re: From east to west

Postby clackers » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:26 pm

Remember too the Gardiner/Scotchmans Creek trails, and that in summer you can cross the Yarra/Maribyrnong by punt in Port Melbourne instead of swinging north through Footscray Road.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:51 pm

djw47 wrote:Anybody done this route before? Is it easy to navigate between the various trails?
i have. i recommend plugging it into your Garmin Connect or similar, which will nag you when you go off-route.

Cowcorner

Postby Cowcorner » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:58 pm

clackers wrote:Remember too the Gardiner/Scotchmans Creek trails, and that in summer you can cross the Yarra/Maribyrnong by punt in Port Melbourne instead of swinging north through Footscray Road.
It really depends on whether you intend on doing it on regular basis. The one and only time I used the Punt was on a Sunday and it cost us $5 per person for a single crossing - although I believe you can get a return trip for $7 (and weekdays are supposed to be cheaper again). Bear in mind, too, that it still 5km from South Wharf to the end of Lorimer Street where the Punt departs. Depending on how long you have to wait for the Punt, sometimes it's actually quicker to take the Footscray Rd option - even though it's 4km longer and the lights through the Docklands can be a pain.

Also, if you use the Bay Trail between Williamstown and Altona, keep a close eye out for dogs off leashes and snakes. Very pleasant ride however. 8)
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:27 am

Cowcorner wrote:
clackers wrote:Remember too the Gardiner/Scotchmans Creek trails, and that in summer you can cross the Yarra/Maribyrnong by punt in Port Melbourne instead of swinging north through Footscray Road.
It really depends on whether you intend on doing it on regular basis. The one and only time I used the Punt was on a Sunday and it cost us $5 per person for a single crossing - although I believe you can get a return trip for $7 (and weekdays are supposed to be cheaper again). Bear in mind, too, that it still 5km from South Wharf to the end of Lorimer Street where the Punt departs. Depending on how long you have to wait for the Punt, sometimes it's actually quicker to take the Footscray Rd option - even though it's 4km longer and the lights through the Docklands can be a pain.

Also, if you use the Bay Trail between Williamstown and Altona, keep a close eye out for dogs off leashes and snakes. Very pleasant ride however. 8)
$2 each way on weekdays apparently: http://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/genera ... ing/11690/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;