Shoalhaven Gran Fondo

Bevo

Shoalhaven Gran Fondo

Postby Bevo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:43 am

I'm looking to do the Ride 4 Robbie at the Shoalhaven Gran Fondo but am a bit unclear about what's involved. It says it's a timed event but does that mean its a race for some and a social ride/ cruise for the reminder? I presume there is a cutoff time - anyone know what it is?

Also, does anyone know where I could get a profile of the course. I know there are a few serious climbs which I'm ok with as long as the course isn't up and down all day.

familyguy

Re: Shoalhaven Gran Fondo

Postby familyguy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:44 pm

http://www.granfondoshoalhaven.com.au/r ... obbie.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Link to course map, profile, etc.

Jim

Bevo

Postby Bevo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:58 pm

Thanks Jim - don't know how i missed that when I was looking at the site.

The profile looks good. A couple of steeper climbs but mostly reasonable gradients, and a lot easier trip home than out as you'd want.

I couldn't find a cut off time but on the registration it has an option to nominate your competitor grading with the slowest being 20-25 kph. I guess the cut off will be around that but I'll confirm with the organisers.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:41 am

I've not ridden that road, but I have family down that way, so I sort-of know it. Long gradual climb on the way out, rocket home. Whats not to like? :D

Jim

slowK

Postby slowK » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:31 pm

We drove that route to Canberra for the first time a few months ago (when the Kings Highway was closed for stabilisation works). Absolutely gorgeous. I remember saying to my wife that it would make for a fantastic ride, and hey presto - someone's organised it!

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:19 am

My understanding it is that is a race. Not sure how the categories/divisions will work though.

The profile really only had 2 climbs. A pinch at Sassafras heading west, and after turning at Nerriga, another pinch when heading back towards Sassafras. They're only 2km max.

The rest of the ride is largely a false flat all the way from Nowra to Sassafras, rising 700 odd meters over 40kms. This means the ride home will be FAST with a slight downhill gradient pretty much all the way.

Bevo

Postby Bevo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:51 pm

I've rung the organisers and confirmed that while some wil be racing (including members of Robbie's old team) the majority will be treating it as social/ challenge ride. There is no specified cut-off time the intention is to accommodate those capable of completing the distance in a reasonable time.

As mentioned before, the slowest group has an indicated average speed of 20 to 25kph.

The good news is that there are snacks provided at the half way mark which is the pub at Nerriga.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:20 pm

So many good roads in the Shoalhaven and they choose to just ride out to Nerriga and back.

I suppose it's easier to use a road that really only has 1 other road that runs off it.

Rich-Ti

Postby Rich-Ti » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:39 pm

Gran Fondos (and 'Sportives' for that matter) are timed events, not races. There are usually some folk who do it as fast as they can, and 'results' are often graded (Gold, Silver, Bronze). Your grading might count towards a classification for the same event in a following year (a gold time at the Quebrantahuesos in Spain gives you a spot in one of the front pens the following year for example), or might count towards a UCI ranking (like at the Amy's Gran Fondo this year).

UK sportives are usually maxed out at 1200 or so riders, whilst European Gran Fondos are often 8-10,000 riders or more. At the GF Nove Colli in Italy there was a junction in the local start village where each street leading to the junction was used to create pens (starting groups) for 5 or 6 groups of 2000 or so riders!

The big Euro ones are often used by smaller pro teams for training, and you often get a big name rider turn up. In the US most Gran Fondos seem to be named after a big rider who usually attends (Levi's GF for example).

It's something that's fitted into the 'Audax' category here until more recently. The Alpine Classic is basically a Sportive / Gran Fondo, as is 3 Peaks - it's just that it's not what they've been titled.

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:54 pm

There are cash prizes for 1st 2nd & 3rd in each age group and overall, so I'm guessing someone will be racing for these! :p