Got bagged for wearing baggies.

singlespeedscott

Re: Got bagged for wearing baggies.

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:56 pm

queequeg wrote:
I just use my sleeveless cycling jerseys, so I get the pockets and drop tail, but also get to stay a but cooler.
I haven't been able to buy them anymore, so maybe they were a short lived fad, or maybe because UCI rules ban them, normal people think they can't wear them.
I guess most of us prefer not to get sunburnt shoulders. Although sunscreen should help.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:58 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
queequeg wrote:
I just use my sleeveless cycling jerseys, so I get the pockets and drop tail, but also get to stay a but cooler.
I haven't been able to buy them anymore, so maybe they were a short lived fad, or maybe because UCI rules ban them, normal people think they can't wear them.
I guess most of us prefer not to get sunburnt shoulders. Although sunscreen should help.
These are the ones I have:-

http://m.torpedo7.com.au/products/NZJES ... veless-top

They cover most of the shoulders and neck, so sunscreen on the arms and back of the neck is about all I need.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:59 pm

dontazame wrote:I always assumed baggie wearers are over endowed and quite naturally need more storage space :lol:
fixed

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:04 pm

Although they do need to wrap Percy a couple of times around an inner thigh first. A zip tie helps.

merlin6014

Postby merlin6014 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:20 pm

I wear full lycra as its comfortable and not flapping around everywhere.

In summer I wear tight lycra triathlon tops as they are sleeveless (i tend to get really hot) a dab of sunscreen on the tops of the shoulders minimises any burning.

Ive even contemplated shirtless with just bib shorts but dont want to be a trend starter

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:05 pm

merlin6014 wrote:

In summer I wear tight lycra triathlon tops as they are sleeveless (i tend to get really hot) a dab of sunscreen on the tops of the shoulders minimises any burning.
Yeah, I do a bit of the sleeveless as well in summer too, Merlin.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:38 pm

My jeans has 2% lycra in them, does mean Im a lycra warrior? oh watch out, freak on the horizon. geeezz *rolls eyes*

I think some people need to lose the pretentious attitude to who does/does not, can/can not deserve to wear lycra. Who cares as long as its legal and you are comfortable. Some blokes like to play footy in their footy shorts at the park with footy shoes. Others just wear sneakers and trackies. Does that make it wrong?

Just do what you want and forget the tripe that comes from others who are ignorant.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:00 pm

merlin6014 wrote:Ive even contemplated shirtless with just bib shorts but dont want to be a trend starter
I was once passed by some one only wearing bib nicks. Not a good look at all.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:31 pm

briztoon wrote:
merlin6014 wrote:Ive even contemplated shirtless with just bib shorts but dont want to be a trend starter
+1. The tan lines, oh the humanity!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:52 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
briztoon wrote:
+1. The tan lines, oh the humanity!

I've seen that once as well near Botany Bay in Sydney. :shock: Marginally better than the guy I saw once stuck in a 70s craze on an old steel road bike, running singlet and tiny running shorts (all 70s vintage) and even sweat band around his head.. Belting along at 30km/h screaming out randomly and spitting like nothing else every 1km or so.

Believe me - some things should never be seen. :roll: The shorts flapping away in the breeze left very little covered up. :oops:

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:41 pm

briztoon wrote:
Wasn't around Caboolture was it?

CW83

Postby CW83 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:12 am

Wear whatever you like.

Personally, despite being a 50's something bloke riding an expensive bike, I try to avoid the faux-pro look. My rule is wear nothing that has writing or drawings on it: black bike shorts and plain colors, perhaps stripes, for me. Who wants to look like a Formula 1 car? Hell, I even like wool.

But whatever floats your boat and you're comfortable in.
This is a gratuitous and hard to read sentence that gets added to the end of my posts.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:35 am

g-boaf wrote:
clackers wrote:
dontazame wrote:I always assumed baggie wearers are under endowned and quite naturally shy :lol:
I assume you can always be seen walking through the boardroom in your timetrial suit, Dontazame! :D
Got to admit, it was worth a laugh. :)

I've arrived at work once in cycling gear - it did get a funny reaction from a few people given they normally see me in a suit and tie. :lol:
that's nothing

Once I turned up to work in a wetsuit
(It was flooded)
Go!Run!GAH!

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:41 am

CW83 wrote:My rule is wear nothing that has writing or drawings on it: black bike shorts and plain colors, perhaps stripes, for me.
My self imposed rule is the same, black shorts, no writing on anything preferable.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:03 pm

Nobody wrote:
CW83 wrote:My rule is wear nothing that has writing or drawings on it: black bike shorts and plain colors, perhaps stripes, for me.
My self imposed rule is the same, black shorts, no writing on anything preferable.
Gee - you actually have a rule? :)
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:20 pm

I was recently given the book of The Rules. While there's plenty of humour in them, I find it slightly horrifying that people passionate about cycling feel the need to develop 92 rules about how it should be done!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:27 pm

Nobody wrote:

I don't mind that sort of gear either but it's alot harder to find cheap.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:28 pm

lobstermash wrote:I was recently given the book of The Rules. While there's plenty of humour in them, I find it slightly horrifying that people passionate about cycling feel the need to develop 92 rules about how it should be done!
Like a lot of things on the internet it probably started out as 10 rules, and then everybody had their say and they ended up with 4 pages of posts debating what clothes to wear... oh wait...
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:36 pm

bychosis wrote:
lobstermash wrote:I was recently given the book of The Rules. While there's plenty of humour in them, I find it slightly horrifying that people passionate about cycling feel the need to develop 92 rules about how it should be done!
Like a lot of things on the internet it probably started out as 10 rules, and then everybody had their say and they ended up with 4 pages of posts debating what clothes to wear... oh wait...
:lol:

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:58 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Nobody wrote:

I don't mind that sort of gear either but it's alot harder to find cheap.
This is so true.

I really wish some of the cheap Chinese manufacturers would engage with some good designers.

They have a proven ability to make good quality clothing for really good prices. But they have nothing to print on them, other than ripping off other existing (branded) designs, or making up a few of their own, which almost invariably have some horrible flaws that would stop me from ever wearing them (mostly the printing of arbitrary English words that add nothing to the design other than identifying it as cheap Chinese product).

We have places like Flame Cycling who will do a (basic but acceptable) one-off custom jersey for $35, if you do the design. But I am not a designer either. I wouldn't know where to start - I don't know what I want until I see it.

Then there are places like Redbubble where amateur designers get their work printed on T-shirts and posters, and sold on (I assume) some kind of profit-split model. No shortage of really clever designers willing to work this way. I have no idea whether it's something they can make a living out of, or whether it's a good way to get a portfolio out there, or what.

But if just a few designey people would put their efforts into coming up with a few good looking non-billboard-labelled jersey designs, and get them printed by Flame or Monton or whoever... I'd pay $10 more than the going cheap pro-team-knock-off jersey price for that.

tim

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:07 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Nobody wrote:

I don't mind that sort of gear either but it's a lot harder to find cheap.
Not at all, just look up Cell. Perfect example is what I was riding in today, plain white with black seams jersey with one tiny logo and black knicks with blue piping and no logo at all (it used to have a small one but the local coarse chip roads can be a bit harsh on clothes :lol: ). I'm a huge fan of their knicks, better than big name/price ones I've tried and the jerseys are as good as any others.

CW83

Postby CW83 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:07 am

Do I have a rule? Yep: if I don't have one, someone will make one for me.

And as a friend of mine says, Standards Must Be Set, Met, And Maintained.
This is a gratuitous and hard to read sentence that gets added to the end of my posts.