Ultegra 11spd

Re: Ultegra 11spd

Postby AndyRevill » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:14 am

Xplora wrote:Andy, definitely get yourself 6800 cranks if you are upgrading. Make sure you get the standard cranks because I'm sure it is cheaper to pick up second hand compact chainrings for the 6800/9000 cranks, and you can swap them as needed. Even better to go TT chainrings LOL :)


Not sure my ageing legs will cope with standard chainrings on Tasmanian hills - I like my compact :D
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5
AndyRevill
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:09 pm
Location: Margate, TAS

by BNA » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:07 am

BNA
 

Re: Ultegra 11spd

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:07 am

What's the cassette width difference between 11spd, 10spd, 8/9spd ?
A helmet saved my life
User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 14862
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney

Re: Ultegra 11spd

Postby Xplora » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:24 am

Just to clarify - There are no chainrings I've seen anywhere that aren't attached to a crank for the ultegra, but the DA9000 stuff will fit - my comment was simply about future proofing. I'll state again - the Shimano 4 arm design is the ONLY reason I am tempted to stay with Japanese groupset. The semicompact really pushes my buttons in a good way once you access a possible 11-32 cassette (which I just checked out, the teeth jump two from 14 up to 22, makes for a much friendlier cassette than I expected.
11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23
11-12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25
11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25-28
11-12-13-14-16-18-20-22-25-28-32

VS
11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25
11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-24-28

You're a better rider than me if you expect to spend any time above the 14. The 22 is basically bottoming out a 23 cassette which I do a lot on a compact, and keeping 3 bailout gears below that makes me think that's a decent alternative. Certainly no worse than the 11-25 which is running 2 tooth gaps from 17, except you'll be doing wheelies up 10% hills with the 32. I don't know - I get very little use from gears outside 14-21, and the smoother and tighter you can make everything between those cogs, the better.
Xplora
 
Posts: 6272
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Ultegra 11spd

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:40 pm

HAKS wrote:Yet to see any Ultegra chainrings actually on the market. Will be interesting to see what they cost when they become available. I went the compact route but wouldn't mind a pair of standard rings for the month or two of the year (summer) when I only ride flat courses.

There is a secondhand set of Dura ace 52-36 on gum tree in Brissie ATM. They've done 200km. $175.
Image
User avatar
singlespeedscott
 
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

Re: Ultegra 11spd

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:47 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
HAKS wrote:Yet to see any Ultegra chainrings actually on the market. Will be interesting to see what they cost when they become available. I went the compact route but wouldn't mind a pair of standard rings for the month or two of the year (summer) when I only ride flat courses.

There is a secondhand set of Dura ace 52-36 on gum tree in Brissie ATM. They've done 200km. $175.


you got the same saved ebay search as me scott?


Xplora wrote:Just to clarify - There are no chainrings I've seen anywhere that aren't attached to a crank for the ultegra, but the DA9000 stuff will fit - my comment was simply about future proofing. I'll state again - the Shimano 4 arm design is the ONLY reason I am tempted to stay with Japanese groupset. The semicompact really pushes my buttons in a good way once you access a possible 11-32 cassette (which I just checked out, the teeth jump two from 14 up to 22, makes for a much friendlier cassette than I expected.
11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23
11-12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25
11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25-28
11-12-13-14-16-18-20-22-25-28-32

VS
11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25
11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-24-28

You're a better rider than me if you expect to spend any time above the 14. The 22 is basically bottoming out a 23 cassette which I do a lot on a compact, and keeping 3 bailout gears below that makes me think that's a decent alternative. Certainly no worse than the 11-25 which is running 2 tooth gaps from 17, except you'll be doing wheelies up 10% hills with the 32. I don't know - I get very little use from gears outside 14-21, and the smoother and tighter you can make everything between those cogs, the better.


OT: I want this in 10 speed:

11-12-14-16-18-20-22-24-26-28

I want an 11 speed to be similar. the 2-step spacing up the top would be much nicer than the current 21-24-28 that's for sure.
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6115
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Ultegra 11spd

Postby Duck! » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:37 pm

mikesbytes wrote:What's the cassette width difference between 11spd, 10spd, 8/9spd ?

8 & 9-sp. are identical, 10-sp. is 1mm wider (the big sprocket/carrier is dished inward to give the extra width, hence the spacer used on 8/9-sp. bodies to give a bit more clearance from the spokes), 11-sp. is 1.87mm wider than 10-sp.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert
 
Posts: 1950
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm
Location: On The Tools

Re: Ultegra 11spd

Postby Duck! » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:42 pm

jasonc wrote:OT: I want this in 10 speed:

11-12-14-16-18-20-22-24-26-28

I want an 11 speed to be similar. the 2-step spacing up the top would be much nicer than the current 21-24-28 that's for sure.

But you mess up the middle of the cassette then. The two-tooth gaps in the mid-range are proportionally bigger than on the big sprockets, so in real terms keeping an extra one-tooth gap in the middle & spreading out to three-tooth at the inner end actually gives more even intervals across the range.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert
 
Posts: 1950
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm
Location: On The Tools

Re: Ultegra 11spd

Postby jasonc » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:01 am

Duck! wrote:
jasonc wrote:OT: I want this in 10 speed:

11-12-14-16-18-20-22-24-26-28

I want an 11 speed to be similar. the 2-step spacing up the top would be much nicer than the current 21-24-28 that's for sure.

But you mess up the middle of the cassette then. The two-tooth gaps in the mid-range are proportionally bigger than on the big sprockets, so in real terms keeping an extra one-tooth gap in the middle & spreading out to three-tooth at the inner end actually gives more even intervals across the range.


then i'd be happy to drop the 11 or the 12 for something in the middle
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6115
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Ultegra 11spd

Postby ozdavo » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:07 am

jasonc wrote:
OT: I want this in 10 speed:

11-12-14-16-18-20-22-24-26-28

I want an 11 speed to be similar. the 2-step spacing up the top would be much nicer than the current 21-24-28 that's for sure.


Are these close enough:
Shimano DA9000 11speed
12-28: 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25-28

Shimano Tiagra 4600 10speed
12-28T: 12,13,14,15,17,19,21,23,25,28T


Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area
User avatar
ozdavo
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:03 pm
Location: Gold Coast (nth)

Re: Ultegra 11spd

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:56 am

The Tiagra ratios look like a good range. I like the jump from 17 to 19. Perfect for solo flatish roads. Also keeps the chain straight in line with the dog whilst your cruising.
Image
User avatar
singlespeedscott
 
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

Re: Ultegra 11spd

Postby jasonc » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:15 pm

ozdavo wrote:
jasonc wrote:
OT: I want this in 10 speed:

11-12-14-16-18-20-22-24-26-28

I want an 11 speed to be similar. the 2-step spacing up the top would be much nicer than the current 21-24-28 that's for sure.


Are these close enough:
Shimano DA9000 11speed
12-28: 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25-28

Shimano Tiagra 4600 10speed
12-28T: 12,13,14,15,17,19,21,23,25,28T


Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk


they both look usable. never thought of going tiagra for the cassette....
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6115
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Ultegra 11spd

Postby Xplora » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:59 pm

Makes for a challenging discussion... if you're riding with fast people, you need those small jumps towards the top because you'll use them. Preferably all the way down to 19 lol... but if you're just punching out kms alone, I just don't get out of the 17 much.
Xplora
 
Posts: 6272
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Re: Ultegra 11spd

Postby HAKS » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:50 pm

So first ride is done after finishing my build this morning

Positives:

- Shifting is incrediblly light, especially down-shifts. Actually didn't realise I had changed gears few times it was so light. Super snappy as well and the front shifting is very easy.
- Hood shape (narrower) is much better and suits my hands well.
- Aero brakes (6810) are amazing. Much better modulation and response. I rode with the standard 6800 brakes for a week before moving to my new Trek frame and they didn't stand out much over 6700. But the aero brakes are at another level. Never used the Bontrager aero brakes that come standard on the new Madones so can't compare the Ultegra ones to any other dual post brake but def makes the trouble of setting up the rear brake worth it.

Negatives:

- New cable routing options out of the shifter made it hard to set up my bike (internal cables both on handlebars and frame). 6700 had the brake on the inside of the bars and the option to run the shifter cable either side. The new 6800 shifters force you run both on the inside. This became difficult for me as I had to get both cables in through the small hole on the bars to run internally. Prob not an issue with externally run cables but was a bit of a pain in the arse. I eventually got them working though.
- Gear wire port on the shifters (side now instead of bottom) was a little more annoying to access but not a huge grievance.
- Rear aero brake has a really weird cable route and the cable pressure point on the brake hasn't been designed very well. Its just a washer and bolt which made it really hard to get the cable into its groove (lacked much of a groove) and tighten it. In the end I found on old washer off a Hayes disc brake which had a bit on the side (like this: http://www.bikeman.com/store/graphics/0 ... DP7727.jpg ). Using that kept the cable in place which tightening etc and made it a whole lost easier to setup.

I did weigh the RD, FD, Aero Brakes, Standard Brakes and Crankset (170mm, compact) if anyone is interested.

Now just bring on Di2 which would make cable routing oh so much easier on my bars :P
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)
User avatar
HAKS
 
Posts: 2326
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:28 pm
Location: Canberra, AUS

Re: Ultegra 11spd

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:07 pm

Dual post brakes have always been better for braking. Much better modulation and sheer braking power. It's funny how something that was all the go 50 years ago is all of a sudden acceptable again. :lol:
Image
User avatar
singlespeedscott
 
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

Re: Ultegra 11spd

Postby doggatas » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:28 am

I am so glad Ultegra is out now, I will no longer have to put up with the below disaster, 3rd cassette since owning the bike. Tell tale sign of this about to happen is a creaking noise, followed by severe chain slip (which is not actually chain slip but cassette slip). The new Ultegra cassette will be the forth cassette on the bike.

Image

Note: Cassette is horribly dirty as I knew it was failing but still needed to get to and from work, didn't see the point in cleaning it. Getting new chain when new ultegra cassette is available.

Note2: Shimano is replacing broken DA 9000 cassettes with Ultegra cassettes, thank you Shimano.
doggatas
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:13 pm

Re: Ultegra 11spd

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:35 pm

There's a lot to be said for individual sprockets. To bad their not much chop on Shimano's terrible freehub spline. If the splines were a lot deeper like Campagnolo's they would be a great option.
Image
User avatar
singlespeedscott
 
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

Re: Ultegra 11spd

Postby Duck! » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:46 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:There's a lot to be said for individual sprockets. To bad their not much chop on Shimano's terrible freehub spline. If the splines were a lot deeper like Campagnolo's they would be a great option.

The spline is fine when wheel/hub manufacturers don't make the freewheel body out of cheese.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert
 
Posts: 1950
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm
Location: On The Tools

Re: Ultegra 11spd

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:42 pm

The steel Shimano ones still get gouged.
Image
User avatar
singlespeedscott
 
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

Re: Ultegra 11spd

Postby biker jk » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:20 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:The steel Shimano ones still get gouged.


Really? Never happened to any of the six Shimano wheelsets used in my household. I think you mean marked rather than gouged.
User avatar
biker jk
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Ultegra 11spd

Postby HAKS » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:21 pm

Aero brake pic for anyone interested

Image

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjHLbudL
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)
User avatar
HAKS
 
Posts: 2326
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:28 pm
Location: Canberra, AUS

Re: Ultegra 11spd

Postby Xplora » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:33 am

http://www.gear-calculator.com/# Dirk just updated this to include the new 6800 options. Schweet!
Xplora
 
Posts: 6272
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Re: Ultegra 11spd

Postby Xplora » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:16 am

Www.starbike.com has the 6870 di2 groupset and parts on their site, awaiting delivery. Bit annoying that they still don't have a 52/36 crank available. Interesting times.
Xplora
 
Posts: 6272
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Re: Ultegra 11spd

Postby TraversW » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:16 pm

Hi all, tried searching with no find so asking here as it seems most appropriate thread. (Feel free to direct me to a more appropriate thread)
I have 6700 groupset and getting an 10/11spd wheelset so would like to eventually go larger chainring and 11-32 for a great allrounder ride anywhere setup, but still have my old 10spd wheels for commuting.
What have people tried so far, will 6800 chain run on 10spd cogs?
Image
TraversW
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:31 am
Location: NSW:Central Coast

Re: Ultegra 11spd

Postby Xplora » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:34 pm

Xplora
 
Posts: 6272
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Re: Ultegra 11spd

Postby jheeno » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:44 pm

Anyone know when the Ultegra 6870 DI2 will be available here in Aus ?
Image
jheeno
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 10:23 am

PreviousNext

Return to Shimano

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit