The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

g-boaf

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby g-boaf » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:52 am

InTheWoods wrote:Why do we have such suckful media in Australia?

Here's some good media from the UK...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/active/recre ... lmets.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We are Australians and we are gullible. Media says jump, we say how high Mr Rupert, good Sir.

We ate beholden to the media. They control the public. Nobody questions the media. :(

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:23 pm

Summernight wrote: Deodorant is not an optional choice in an office environment (we'll leave the construction site debate for another day) - it should be mandatory as common courtesy to everyone else. Even if you've soaped yourself raw you still need the deodorant in key places to reduce BO while at work (or even a re-application during work hours).
The deodorant and BO issue is rather badly over-played in modern day Australian culture. Eg. the poms and other Europeans had a long tradition of the once-weekly bath. Many people have a fetish for anti-perspirant/deodorant sparys or roll-ons that is sadly misplaced. I really think that urban female office and retail staff would be the worst for this :P
sweat itself has no odor.
It is the case that BO is caused by bacteria on the skin, and the best defence against this is simply a wash with soap and water. It actually takes something like 12-24 hrs for the bacteria levels to build up to the extent that they cause BO. This will not happen after one commute ride to work. If you do only have a shower every 3-4 days, or wear the same clothes for 3 days in a row, yes you may really need a deadorant. It may not even work if you are a repeat clothing wearer. But if you shower daily you should not have any concerns. Diet can play a minor role in worsening some BO, for some people.
Last edited by il padrone on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:29 pm

This is a terrific discussion about the War on the Roads show :grin:

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:43 pm

schroeds wrote:This is a terrific discussion about the War on the Roads show :grin:
Relevance. Don't you hear all those drivers complaining about sweaty lycra-clad cyclists. D'you reckon they are not sweating in their hotboxes in summer? Do they shower at work?

:P
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:43 am

Sanity prevails...

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/executi ... 2skbe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:56 am

InTheWoods wrote:Sanity prevails...

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/executi ... 2skbe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Until you read the comments

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:05 pm

jcjordan wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:Sanity prevails...

Until you read the comments
Never do that.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:35 pm

The comments are usually the best part of any news article, except for the ones on cycling related articles... :(

VRE

Postby VRE » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:57 pm

I think it would be interesting to see a mainstream media article with a title related to cycling, but article body discussing anything but cycling, just to see how many people post the usual frothing-at-the-mouth style comments.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:08 pm

VRE wrote:I think it would be interesting to see a mainstream media article with a title related to cycling, but article body discussing anything but cycling, just to see how many people post the usual frothing-at-the-mouth style comments.
Now that's a truly evil thought! :twisted:

*LIKE*

Would make an interesting experiment...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:43 pm

g-boaf wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:Why do we have such suckful media in Australia?

Here's some good media from the UK...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/active/recre ... lmets.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We are Australians and we are gullible. Media says jump, we say how high Mr Rupert, good Sir.

We ate beholden to the media. They control the public. Nobody questions the media. :(
+1000 :x
Dogs are the best people :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:02 pm

il padrone wrote:
schroeds wrote:This is a terrific discussion about the War on the Roads show :grin:
Relevance. Don't you hear all those drivers complaining about sweaty lycra-clad cyclists. D'you reckon they are not sweating in their hotboxes in summer? Do they shower at work?

:P
Those drivers are just jealous of us fit cyclists with really toned legs, hardly any fat, etc.

It is actually fun to west that stuff, because you know it just drives some people up the wall. On the contrary - you get some nice comments too. :D

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:36 pm

Channel 7 keeping the ball rolling :roll:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/18 ... ed-lights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not a good appearance by BQ at all, unless it was edited to look that way.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:02 pm

Why can't the police fine a cyclist they photograph speeding with a mobile speed camera? They're on the spot, have photographic proof, just pull them over and fine them like a normal motorist.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:16 pm

briztoon wrote:Why can't the police fine a cyclist they photograph speeding with a mobile speed camera? They're on the spot, have photographic proof, just pull them over and fine them like a normal motorist.
Exactly.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:22 pm

briztoon wrote:Why can't the police fine a cyclist they photograph speeding with a mobile speed camera? They're on the spot, have photographic proof, just pull them over and fine them like a normal motorist.
They can't. No proper identification via the rider but mostly because the person sitting in the van isn't even a police officer. Pretty sure the only police identification they have are to access police stations and said related areas. If there is a copper with a radar gun well then your nicked :P
I haven't seen BQ do a good interview in god knows how long. They either seem like they/make cyclists look like they are better than everyone else or they just aren't saying enough....

I couldn't help but giggle quite a lot at that video. Riders at Southbank going 3 times the limit.... oooooooooooooooooooo. I do 3 times the limit just climbing up that bridge outside Griffith. For christ sake runners at 6am break that stupid speed limit! I hope Ch7 set up a camera on that Bridge on Waterworks road. It always keeps flashing at me to slow down for some reason despite freewheeling from the kink before the school. God knows why its a 40kph limit while the outbound lanes are 60 :lol: :lol: And lol at those guys trying to set off the camera. I remember trying to do that back in High School (before I was even legally allowed to drive) on my BMX god knows how many times. I remember that I even considered kitting up in full moto gear and trying to set some off. Boys will be boys :P

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:33 am

InTheWoods wrote:Channel 7 keeping the ball rolling :roll:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/18 ... ed-lights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The not good appearance is bicycle riders going through red lights, going at excessive speed for conditions and or deliberately not giving way to each other (as seen in another topic here).

No amount of bicycle advocacy organisation PR efforts will work unless riders stop giving the media ammunition.

Thank you Channel 7! :D I admire their efforts.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:04 am

Hopefully no one goes and stands at the intersection of Hamilton and Sandgate road or at the Sandgate road bypass at Nundah. Plenty of cars running the red lights there. Sure a few cyclists do it but why should that be any different to what drivers are currently doing. Its just another media beat up. Hardly news worthy.

VRE

Postby VRE » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:11 am

I see the video was sponsored by Toyota Camry :roll: . By the way, does booking someone for a traffic offence require that the person carry some form of Id? What's wrong with simply asking them for their name and contact details? Id cards can be faked anyway.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:59 am

VRE wrote:I see the video was sponsored by Toyota Camry
It's hip to be a square! :lol:

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:09 am

rkelsen wrote:
VRE wrote:I see the video was sponsored by Toyota Camry
It's hip to be a square! :lol:
Slightly relevant music break

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:45 am

g-boaf wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:Channel 7 keeping the ball rolling :roll:

The not good appearance is bicycle riders going through red lights, going at excessive speed for conditions and or deliberately not giving way to each other (as seen in another topic here).
Yes I agree, and I don't condone it. But when asked a direct question about the issue, the answer was something blustery about bicycling being a good activity?? What about saying "Its not ok to do that, and only a minority do - the same as only a minority of motorists break the law". Or pointing out that cyclists can be and are booked for offences, so what is the problem?

VRE

Postby VRE » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:55 am

I'm not convinced it's only a minority of motorists that break the road rules.

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:55 am

I do love how they make a stupid statement and then back it up with even stupider evidence "like this cyclist from the UK". Brilliant piece of reasoning, if someone in the UK is doing it, then everyone here must be doing it too (in relation to deliberately triggering speed cameras).... lol. I suppose at least they acknowledged this time that it was footage from the UK.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:03 am

Loved the London speed camera clip. That made me laugh. :P Although I don't condone those actions.

I never realised we couldn't be identified. I mean, that guy with the Bank of St Georges kit - how many people have full Bank of St Georges kit? I wouldn't think it would be too many... And he probably rides the same roads weekly if he is training. With proper investigation (ie. time and money) surely they could identify certain people if they are regulars on those roads... Having registration just means they can send a letter and fine out in the post instead of doing actual sleuth work...

Weird response by BQ too.
Last edited by Summernight on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.