Any one using Shimano trail pedals on a road bike?

singlespeedscott

Re: Any one using Shimano trail pedals on a road bike?

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:50 am

They sort of hang with the rear down at an angle. I never have a problem getting into them.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:52 am

Cool.. Pondering as my next commuter pedal (currently PD-M540 with one side of the left pedal clicking like a mofo - I have a piece of tape on it to identify the good side, but half the time I have to flip it over...)

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:56 am

singlespeedscott wrote:They sort of hang with the rear down at an angle. I never have a problem getting into them.
I did - they were hopeless to engage on hill starts. I'll sell my set if anyone wants them. There's not much paint left on the back of the left one though. They were bloody expensive too.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:16 pm

Never had a problem. I have even used them in a 24hr mtb race with no issue.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:45 pm

This thread would benefit from a pic :lol: :lol:

Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:35 am

rifraf wrote:This thread would benefit from a pic :lol: :lol:
Nice looking pedal - A big improvement on the old M530's.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:45 am

RonK wrote:
Nice looking pedal - A big improvement on the old M530's.
+1 Now all it needs is a chain & calipers :D
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:04 pm

find_bruce wrote: +1 Now all it needs is a chain & calipers :D
Hi Find_Bruce
Oh those are on and I've been riding around locally for a little while now.
Still playing around with fender mounting and currently awaiting a package from SJS in the UK for:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sks-stainles ... -prod8042/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sks-stainles ... -prod4388/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Changing tyres sizes from 2.35 to 2.00' necessitated a change of couplers from the 18mm pair I started with to 25mm stainless (marine grade 316) versions - to get a decent continuous fender-line.
Similar to:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290858356559" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
but 316 instead of A2.
I'm hopeful my bracketry from SJS will be here in the upcoming week and hopefully some pics of the final (ish) Ogre build can be put up. :)

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:38 pm

i dont own a road bike and will most likely never buy one

because ive got a TT bike and a 29er MTB with city tyres.. (two different bikes and the road bike would be in the middle.. so it would be pointless)

But the Merida XT edition 29er came equipped with Shimano double sided SPD MTB pedals & cleats. (which i had used/experienced for a period)

the Time trial did not have pedals but i purchased the $300 Dura-Ace carbon pedals. (since its the Rolls-Royce of pedals)

i converted the 29er MTB to Shimano 105 road pedals.. this way i can use 1 shoe only, rather than having a MTB shoe and a Road/Triathlon shoe for 2 different bikes.

to me its more important having 1 shoe since i only do road riding, so 1 lightweight, breathable road shoe is the way to go for me.

on the other hand, it is claimed that Road pedals are meant to provide more efficiency in pedalling due to wider cleats and more foot/shoe contact. (i personally haven't really noticed the difference)
It is also suggested that road pedals clip in easier than MTB pedals due to being on the road and more speedy clip in action in accordance to traffic etc. (i find road pedals are just as fiddly to clip in. and it is possible to clip MTB pedals at the same speed.) This can also be due to the fact that i personally think 105 pedals are not good pedals.. they dont weigh down on the heavy side all the time. sometimes they can stay in the opposite unnatural position unlike the light weight Dura ace and possibly the Ultegra Carbons.)

lastly, the benifits of MTB cleats is that it rarely wears out when you walk on it with flat shoes. (you might feel... im stepping on the steel heaps.. its probably worn out if i walk heaps...) but it doesnt.. Shimano must of used a hard material.

Road cleats are plastic and wear out easy when you walk on them.

clackers

Postby clackers » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:37 pm

DoubleSpeeded wrote:
lastly, the benifits of MTB cleats is that it rarely wears out when you walk on it with flat shoes. (you might feel... im stepping on the steel heaps.. its probably worn out if i walk heaps...) but it doesnt.. Shimano must of used a hard material.

The MTB cleats are recessed, though, Doublespeed - you don't have to do the penguin waddle on floor boards. :smile:

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:40 pm

The question relates specifically to M785/985 Trail pedals.

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:39 pm

clackers wrote:
DoubleSpeeded wrote:

The MTB cleats are recessed, though, Doublespeed - you don't have to do the penguin waddle on floor boards. :smile:
not necessarily...

depends on what shoe you are putting them on.

MTB specific shoes have several protruding soles for walking. the small metal cleats will be recessed. Road specific are flat.

But some road/touring/sport shoes have dual purpose holes for Road and MTB cleats Image

Dan

Postby Dan » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:06 pm

While some road/touring shoes have spd only, and outriggers. However, we digress.

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:59 pm

I use nothing but Shimano MTB pedals on all my road bikes. I didn't know there was any other way. They're fine.
Please be nice to me, I'm not very bright.

rtnicho

Postby rtnicho » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:28 am

Thanks all.
OK, so the M780 and 785s arrived a week ago and have now done about 75 kms on each on different bikes so I can compare. The first thing to note about the 780s is that the platform is much larger than the other SPDs I have used (M520, M540) so hot spotting is likely to be less of an issue. The platform of the 785s is larger again but not in the sense of the outrigger, but larger on either side of the central part of the pedal. I think that the 785s do the job a bit better on the road than the 780s but there's not a lot in it. If you are worried about weight, I'd go with the 780s.

Both are great pedals.

A further observation on hotspotting with the SPDs. I suspect that this is related as much to the quality of the MTB shoe as the size of the pedal platform. Better (stiffer) MTB shoes seem to lead to less of a pressure build up when using SPDs on the road for long distances. Because they are stiffer they seem to strad the weight over a larger area.
Cheers
Roger

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:32 am

rtnicho wrote:Thanks all.
OK, so the M780 and 785s arrived a week ago and have now done about 75 kms on each on different bikes so I can compare. The first thing to note about the 780s is that the platform is much larger than the other SPDs I have used (M520, M540) so hot spotting is likely to be less of an issue. The platform of the 785s is larger again but not in the sense of the outrigger, but larger on either side of the central part of the pedal. I think that the 785s do the job a bit better on the road than the 780s but there's not a lot in it. If you are worried about weight, I'd go with the 780s.

Both are great pedals.

A further observation on hotspotting with the SPDs. I suspect that this is related as much to the quality of the MTB shoe as the size of the pedal platform. Better (stiffer) MTB shoes seem to lead to less of a pressure build up when using SPDs on the road for long distances. Because they are stiffer they seem to strad the weight over a larger area.
Cheers
Roger
Have you got the model numbers the right way round Roger?

rtnicho

Postby rtnicho » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:47 am

Yep, the 780s are the standard SPD type and the 785s are the trail pedals.

RonK

Any one using Shimano trail pedals on a road bike?

Postby RonK » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:38 am

rtnicho wrote:Yep, the 780s are the standard SPD type and the 785s are the trail pedals.
Ahhhh - I thought the pedals in Rifraf's pic were the 780s. How bloody confusing - his are T780s.

rjk

Postby rjk » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:55 pm

if you have trouble with hotspots in your feet maybe a new shoes will help, i use the shimano spd mt183 it has a stiff carbon sould.

I use this on my a600 pedals which way in between dura-ace and ultegra road pedals in weight, nice big platform for my stiff soled shoes to lock into

i have the a600's on my roadie and a530's on my cx bike and use the same shoes on both, really reall comfortable riding and walking.

the a530 is a single sided pedal spd 0ne side and a nice big platform on the other side

a600
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:02 pm

I've got the same shoes paired to M780 pedals on my MTB. One big thing I've found with the M780/785 vs older SPD pedals is that the engagement of the shoe on the pedal is a lot firmer. A lot of that is to do with the wider platform (M785 is the same width, but extended fore & aft), but I think the binding is also a slightly lower profile, which also pulls the shoe down a bit more snugly. The overall feel is certainly better than the same shoes on cheap OEM-spec M505 pedals.
Last edited by Duck! on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:10 pm

rjk wrote:....
the a530 is a single sided pedal spd 0ne side and a nice big platform on the other side

I have those on my old roadie which I loan to mates taking up road riding. Means they can use regular shoes until they decide to get their own bike/pedals etc and I can ride the roadie with my MTB or Touring shoes (which I use on my CX).
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:57 pm

hey, how do you ride with no chain and rear derailleur? lol

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:10 pm

DoubleSpeeded wrote:hey, how do you ride with no chain and rear derailleur? lol
rifraf wrote:
find_bruce wrote: +1 Now all it needs is a chain & calipers :D
Hi Find_Bruce
Oh those are on and I've been riding around locally for a little while now.
And no derailleurs as I ride an IGH (internally geared hub) :)