Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 65
waramatt

Re: Good Motorists

Postby waramatt » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:00 pm

I find the majority of drivers are courteous and as interested in avoiding contact with me as I am with them.

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:57 am

A few days old but worthy of praise...

It's just after school and I'm head down, bum up in the bike lane on Gap Road when your standard schoolmum in a shiny black loaded Frord Terroriser pulls alongside with the left blinky going headed for the carpark I was about to pass, can't say that the buttocks didn't clench a little at the time. Her nose dipped and she pulled in behind to make her turn. Dunno if she saw it but the thanks wave and 1000 watt smile went out big time.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

wexford

Postby wexford » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:41 pm

Only just saw this thread for the first time! Three good experiences in three days for me.

My final intersection on the work commute is a busy roundabout where I turn right. As I'm approaching I do a head check before the cycle lane ends, to see the driver behind pause and slow down to let me merge. The hand signal I was in the process of beginnning became a thankyou wave/signal.

Thomas St (Perth) heading north yesterday while on the MTB for a meander around my local suburbs. No way I can ride fast enough to not be a nuisance as I hit the hill approaching the freeway, so I jump the kerb and use the (empty) footpath. Slowing down a little there's a car emerging ahead from a high walled driveway. I was planning on stopping - no chance of going around either in front or behind - then the driver nods at me and reverses back into his drive.

Then this morning on the scary part of the "river circuit", crossing the Stirling Hwy bridge heading into Fremantle. Everyone either gave me loads of room, or changed lanes as they passed then changed back further ahead with no chance of cutting me off.

As much as I enjoy the sense of self righteous indignation of the Moron Motorists thread, credit where it's due :)

And then this http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 75#p778892 happened.

rokwiz

Postby rokwiz » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:14 pm

Yeh, my last tour of duty on my bike in Sydney was a good experience motorist wise. In the 6 weeks I was working there I found most motorist were quite patient and courteous. It was really scary. :) :)
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D Diderot 1752

MREJ

Good Motorists

Postby MREJ » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:04 pm

Riding along the motorway this morning, I came to an entrance lane, where you have to cross over to get to the breakdown lane. I slowed to wait for a blue car that I'd noticed coming along the entrance. I turned to look at him to see that he'd slowed right down, and he gave me a friendly flash of the lights. I rode across in front of him with a wave, and reached the safety of the breakdown lane again. He then drove by on my right, giving me a clear view of a V8 Falcon from Queensland, complete with one of those wings people put on their boots. There goes a couple of stereotypes!
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

Marto

Postby Marto » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:10 pm

I think motorists are increasingly aware and more considerate of cyclists in the areas where I ride. Others who commute in the same areas as me might not report such an improvement. I don't know. There seems to be a decrease in the incidence of squeezing me to the gutter, or not seeing me at intersections, or even yelling out for kicks. There are some really considerate truck drivers and also some "stereotype busters" such as work utes or late-model Commodore/Falcons that do well by cyclists.

Expectations may be low, but sometimes the nicest deed on a ride comes from someone you would least expect (from a stereotyping viewpoint).

iMad

Postby iMad » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:37 pm

This is something as a newbie I raised some time ago but assumed my positive experiences were unique considering all the negative feedback posted here.
See the post about Noosa and the Sunshine Coast http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=50136
There are only two types of cyclist.
Those that have crashed and those that are about to.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:07 am

iMad wrote:This is something as a newbie I raised some time ago but assumed my positive experiences were unique considering all the negative feedback posted here.
See the post about Noosa and the Sunshine Coast http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=50136
I figure we are very quick to point out all the bad drivers and cyclists it's only right to do the same for the good ones too.
Happy Days

Graeme H

Postby Graeme H » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:18 am

This bus driver deserves a mention for observation skills as well as action.
The bus blocks the path of a car that had just hit a bicycle, allowing police to catch up.

http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/9ra ... ay/xmv8m0o

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:11 am

Graeme H wrote:This bus driver deserves a mention for observation skills as well as action.
The bus blocks the path of a car that had just hit a bicycle, allowing police to catch up.

That's awesome work, should get a medal for that.
Happy Days

K2

Postby K2 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:53 am

Hmmm. Medals :idea:

Haven't noticed any change in motorists' behaviour on the whole around my place. As always, most manage to pass my sphere of concern without incident or any hint of it, much as I hope I do theirs, and then there are those that seem to go out of their way to get noticed although obviously many of them are totally oblivious to, well, pretty much everything it seems. Those who please me by showing courtesy and/or patience get a beaming smile and a wave if it's safe to do so.

Today I was totally gobsmacked. Turning right to get into the home rabbit warren is usually a no brainer as I often ride during quite times. On those occasions when it is busier I'll sometimes get "trapped" by a line of braille drivers setting off from the lights not far back. I could get amongst them at the lights and claim my space but I'm usually not that keen about being bothered with the hassle ( I don't like holding vehicles up unless I have to) at that late stage in proceedings. I'll usually slow on the left til they've passed, or if there's a particularly long line of traffic, I'll just proceed up to the roundabout and come back.

This afternoon the road was quiet but I could hear an approaching car slow behind me as I was preparing to do the business. A quick head check revealed he was the only vehicle and it'd be safe to get over and cross after him. But not with this gent...oh no.

He not only slowed even more but also indicated that I could cross ahead of him. That's right peeps! You heard right. A late model commodore driver not only displaying extreme courtesy (some might consider it unnecessary, but I'll take it); not only deigning to acknowledge a tired road warrior with legs of grey and bent old eyes on a trusty but age worn donkey; not only thinking that such a sorry sight should have precedence over his shining tribute to modern mechanics; but way more importantly, possessing an understanding of a cyclist's plight and anticipation of his intentions!

In all likelihood it was probably another cyclist in disguise, but I seized the opportunity and I'm fairly certain this knight in mightily impressive armour could see my wide grin through the back of my skull. If not, I hope the wave was sufficient reward.

You Sir, kind, anonymous, no doubt winged vision of loveliness, are the deserving recipient of the much coveted K2 approved Medal of Chivalry*, Highways and Byways, SEQ Division for 2012. I'm very confident your sterling effort won't be exceeded.

Huzzah!

*no actual physical medal included

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:34 am

I am constantly amazed that drivers would rather have a head on with oncoming traffic than get anywhere near a cyclists... come to think of it I remember the near head on which caused a car to flip a few times as it passed our bunch.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:25 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I am constantly amazed that drivers would rather have a head on with oncoming traffic than get anywhere near a cyclists... come to think of it I remember the near head on which caused a car to flip a few times as it passed our bunch.
so true.
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:40 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I am constantly amazed that drivers would rather have a head on with oncoming traffic than get anywhere near a cyclists... come to think of it I remember the near head on which caused a car to flip a few times as it passed our bunch.
I remember when you posted that particular incident ............ and while you may find that so in France and Belgium, I don't think it could be relied upon in Australia. :?

ChainBreak

Postby ChainBreak » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:04 pm

Graeme H wrote:This bus driver deserves a mention for observation skills as well as action.

Makes you wonder what that driver was doing behind the wheel not to notice that cyclist :|
Take a man fishing and feed him for a day, teach man to fish and feed him for a lifetime , teach a man to cycle and he'll realize that fishing is stupid and boring :P

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:33 pm

Wow this thread really died. The problem is if we list all the good motorists this thread will quickly grow really really big, which will be really really boring :roll:

Today:
339RJV - -hyundai - gave me space to move across after head checks on 2 separate occasions, instead of racing to get in front
692LXS - "Look&Listen" van - thanks for being patient on the hill... I was going as hard as I could (and dying)
288HQM - mitsu 4WD - Patient and cautious, dare I say it a bit too cautious I was "inviting" you to overtake there :)

Plus 50 others this morning who did nothing special at all except be safe...

[Minus a courier van that ran a very red light, and a cyclist who did the same - call that one even]

But my point is, BS to the war on the roads thing. Most people are decent. Its the few (on both sides) who wreck it for everybody else. Which makes it more like terrorism than a war.

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:29 pm

i couldnt tell you about motorists... because i do not ride on shared roads

break down lanes are ok

because no matter good motorists or bad motorists...

i feel naked... my life, my health.. my bones, my blood & my intestines are within my body and is at someone else's mercy or ignorance to turn me into a flat furry road kill with guts hanging out..

so i feel really bad on the roads with the back of my head facing the traffic... it just feels wrong

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:57 pm

I was pleasantly surprised today riding uphill where the road narrows to a bridge. The truck behind me thought about pulling alongside me, thought better of it and gave me room. Thanks dude.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:28 pm

4WD with bumper bar ... spidey senses start tingling, but they were a good motorist who let me into the right hand lane as the left lane was closed for roadworks, even though that meant they had to follow me for 500 metres (I had to brake to stay close to the speed limit though and stayed in contact with the car in front). Good driver hung back with no pressure. Rego NIC040.

m@

Postby m@ » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:28 pm

Spent yesterday exploring the Yarra valley and Dandenongs; drivers generally were great and waited patiently for a safe spot to pass on the narrower streets (some were even a bit too conservative, hesitating when I moved over to allow them passing space with 1.5m+ space). But what really stood out was the L-platers (and there were a few - at least a dozen) - all drove patiently and conscientiously. Don't ever change you guyz!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:16 pm

jasonc wrote:one of the points of my commute that could be a drama, sylvan rd Toowong at the bend is mostly not. drivers do hang back. i always give a way. you still get the odd numpty.
has the amount changed in either direction? I don't know.
I envy commuters when all they have to worry about is the Sylvan Rd section. Almost makes want to move West and enjoy the almost entire off road Western corridor.
I'll be moving shortly and a huge factor will be the vicinity to the V1, its only a matter of time before I am knocked on my current route - I know it.

Here is an absolutely phenomenally rare Eastern interaction, this is a one in every two year incident.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:42 pm

Crawf wrote:Here is an absolutely phenomenally rare Eastern interaction, this is a one in every two year incident.
Mad tailgunning skillz from an absolute champion right there! Track him down and buy him a premium beer!
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011