Bang for Buck upgrades - that you've done!

JessicaAlba

Bang for Buck upgrades - that you've done!

Postby JessicaAlba » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:14 pm

Absolutely loving the new (2nd hand) Dura Ace 7850 hubs in my RS80 rims! They just roll sooo smoothly, pedal effort is noticeably reduced and climbing hills just feels like a whole new, improved, ball game.

At $200 for the hubs, plus post, I cannot think of a cheaper way to have ended up with what are essentially a new set of wheels and such a fantastic upgrade to my bike.

And this has got me thinking...what other upgrades have people done to their rides that qualify as true bang for buck? I am not talking trading your $10K Casiti for an $8K Foil Team Issue here, I mean actual bits that you've added to your bike that have instantly paid off in performance, comfort or other real world results.

Get sharin'! 8)
Felt F2/DuraAce/FSA/DA C35s/Gatorskins

2014 Scott Addict Team Issue/DA9000/Syncros RL1.1/Zipp 404/Gatorskins

trailgumby

Re: Bang for Buck upgrades - that you've done!

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:40 pm

Losing a couple of Kg from around the middle has been the best performance upgrade I've ever done. 8) Cheap too ;)

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:50 pm

trailgumby wrote:Losing a couple of Kg from around the middle has been the best performance upgrade I've ever done. 8) Cheap too ;)
True too!!
But the best upgrade for me is tyres, always. Going to a top quality tyre changes the feel of the ride.
To a lesser extent going from Butyl to Latex tubes improves the ride noticeably too.
Finally - for bigger bucks - upgrading wheels makes a huge difference.
Andrew

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:20 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Losing a couple of Kg from around the middle has been the best performance upgrade I've ever done. 8) Cheap too ;)
True too!!
But the best upgrade for me is tyres, always. Going to a top quality tyre changes the feel of the ride.
To a lesser extent going from Butyl to Latex tubes improves the ride noticeably too.
Andrew
Very true on tyres. Tubes ... I'd prefer to ditch entirely, but that's much more of a challenge with roadie tyres than off-road.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:23 pm

Comfort for Road bike
1) BBB Bar Tape Synthetic Cork BBHT-05 (don't settle for BBHT-01) + Cinelli AVS Gel Pads I put mine along the top bar around the outside towards the hoods where my hands normally sit.
2) Continental gp4000 700 x 25c reflective with Michelin 700C Presta A1 Ultralite 700X18/23 80g buytl rubber tubes (comfort & safety)

Rob

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:42 pm

Picked up a brand new Rockshox Reba fork off another forum that the seller had not read the specs on properly & wound up with the wrong thing, and replaced my old Recon. 400g weight reduction right there, and a better-performing fork to boot. Makes the front end of the bike a stack more playable in rocky stuff, being easier to lift, it tends to float over the lumps rather than ploughing in. $260 well spent. At the same time I did some smaller tweaks - bar, stem, seatpost & pedals, which combined with the fork pulled about 700g out of the bike, but the fork is the one that had the biggest impact on the handling. :)
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:06 pm

Some titanium skewers from another wheel set. I thought they were cheap rubbish things and never used them...

How silly! The things are really light. Saved a lot of weight quickly.

Further improvements involve a lot of money or rather a lot of training. I'm already light...

michaelten

Postby michaelten » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:16 pm

Schwalbe Ultremo tyres. I had Vittoria Rubino Pros on my bike and bought the Schwalbes for racing but I love them so much I haven't taken them off! The ride is so much smoother and faster, I'm surprised they made as much difference as they have.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:17 pm

Strava, Premium member for as long as I can remember and it hasn't cost me a penny yet, adds so much more to my riding experience. :D

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:40 pm

Duck! wrote:Picked up a brand new Rockshox Reba fork off another forum that the seller had not read the specs on properly & wound up with the wrong thing, and replaced my old Recon. 400g weight reduction right there, and a better-performing fork to boot. Makes the front end of the bike a stack more playable in rocky stuff, being easier to lift, it tends to float over the lumps rather than ploughing in. $260 well spent. At the same time I did some smaller tweaks - bar, stem, seatpost & pedals, which combined with the fork pulled about 700g out of the bike, but the fork is the one that had the biggest impact on the handling. :)
Hmm. Off-road.

Speaking of suspension forks, the upgrade to the 2013 MY damper in the Lefty on my commuter bike, I kept on blowing up the lockout on the DLR hitting potholes with my 700x23c wheelset fitted while the lockout was on.. For $50 more than it was going to cost to fix the lockout, RLC Sport in Brisbane replaced the entire damper with the current model yeaer unit, which has a blowoff valve. No more busted lockouts, and a bit more slow speed damping to boot so its easier to pedal out of the saddle, and the PBR mechanism for the lockout is so much better than the twist lever.

Prior to that, hands down it was going tubeless. Besides the (minor) weight loss - maybe 200g net - the improvement in traction and riding confidence was astounding. Cost me $60 to set up the rims. NOt counting tyres as I'd have replaced them anyway and I initially used non-tubeless tyres.

Another high bang-for-buck improvement was getting nutrition on the bike right.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:46 pm

When I was building up my first XC race bike I dropped the front trigger shifter for a plastic friction thumb lever I got off a K mart bike at the tip. Zero dollars for half the weight of SRAM XX! :D
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:34 am

Warranty frame upgrades ... big bang, zero bucks :D .

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:16 am

My Geoff Scott frame. Current road bike out fitted with 10 speed Campagnolo. Picked it up on eBay for $150. Had a mixed Nuovo/Super Record groupset. Kept the bits I wanted sold the rest. $150 outlay parts I sold made $850. I still had a great frame and $700 in the hand.

Dan

Postby Dan » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:33 am

For me, it has to be the transition from stock wheelsets to hand built. Dropped about 300g out of each bike, purely by building wheels that I know will support the kind of riding I do.

At less than $300 per set for ~1620g, very happy.

I also stopped carrying the second bidon I never used... ;)

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:31 pm

1. Finding good 'compromise' tyres, not too easily cut, not too heavy.
2. Swapping to Arione seats on my three main bikes.
3. Buying a $35 eBay runabout for riding with the kids.

Jim

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:33 pm

trailgumby wrote:
gabrielle260 wrote:
True too!!
Andrew
Very true on tyres. Tubes ... I'd prefer to ditch entirely, but that's much more of a challenge with roadie tyres than off-road.
Not hard at all haven't had a tube in my roadie for two years now. Don't actually still own a tube that holds air. Dont carry a pump, CO2, a tube or patches. Dont swerve to miss glass either. Had two punctures in 12k that caused problems - both from trying to get to the holidays on the old rear tyre. Once damaged it on the edge of a sharp pothole and the other I stuck a 5mm twig through it when I ran over a stick. Had lots of punctures that were sealed up by the sealant doing its job and a few where I stuck a piece of old inner tube in through the cut - old school style car tyre fix - all done by the comfort of my desk at work.

To quote an advertising line - JUST DO IT
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

munga

Postby munga » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:09 am

drinking coffee at home 8)

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:48 am

munga wrote:drinking coffee at home 8)
Don't forget the generic brand froot loops.

drpants

Postby drpants » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:52 am

Upgrades in terms of value, from best to worst:

Bike fit, tape, saddle, tyres, wheels, frame, gruppo

If you're chasing weight, these are the best value:

skewers, tubes, wheels, tyres, brakes

Dimis

Postby Dimis » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:17 am

I found best performance upgrade was going from running shoes, to my first cycling shoes and clipless pedals.
To be able to "cycle" my pedals, rather than just push down perceivably meant I went faster for longer
After that, wheels, wheels, wheels... but there's no bang for buck there. So I'll go with Sleep, Sleep and more Sleep for the money value.