Hub Dynamos in Australia

just4tehhalibut

Re: Hub Dynamos in Australia

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:46 pm

My vote is for the Velocity Aeroheat, I've recently built up a 32H 406mm rim with the SP hub and Conti's SportContact Reflex tyre. Got the rim from JensonUSA because the LBS couldn't find any (later heard that some popped up on special in AU that the LBS could order, not sure if any left but). Haven't tried the A23 but feel the Aeroheat is tougher.

When I was looking for rims a couple of months ago the Velocity website still listed the Aerohead rim as coming in 20" but I think that was a 451mm, not 406. So don't confuse Aeroheat and Aerohead. And if you look at Aeroheat on JensonUSA the option for the 406 in their scrolldown menu is 'Black BMX 20" x 1.5" 32H' so a little confusing too.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:03 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:My vote is for the Velocity Aeroheat, I've recently built up a 32H 406mm rim with the SP hub and Conti's SportContact Reflex tyre. Got the rim from JensonUSA because the LBS couldn't find any (later heard that some popped up on special in AU that the LBS could order, not sure if any left but). Haven't tried the A23 but feel the Aeroheat is tougher.

When I was looking for rims a couple of months ago the Velocity website still listed the Aerohead rim as coming in 20" but I think that was a 451mm, not 406. So don't confuse Aeroheat and Aerohead. And if you look at Aeroheat on JensonUSA the option for the 406 in their scrolldown menu is 'Black BMX 20" x 1.5" 32H' so a little confusing too.
Thanks. Going by Velocity page here, there is only three options now in 20" - 406mm, the A23, the Aeroheat and the Cliff Hanger. I have a "LBS" in the family who can get the rims for me :)

Is being "tough" that critical up front? I was thinking A23 front and Aerohead rear. Thoughts? Which SP hub did you get?

Thanks
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:20 pm

I've got 36H Aeroheat rims (406) on the Moulton with no complaints.
No complaints with my Sondelux either.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:52 pm

The BioLogic Joule 3 may be another 20" wheel option perhaps?

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:26 pm

rifraf wrote:I've got 36H Aeroheat rims (406) on the Moulton with no complaints.
No complaints with my Sondelux either.
I think I will go with Aeroheat rims ... 40 grams heavier and slightly wider.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:46 pm

Just to play devils advocate, Scorpion recently reported having a terrible run a while ago with Velocity aeroheat wheels (rim splits), although if I understood him correctly, he was running high volume tyres (Schwalbe Big Apples) at 50psi, which has been suggested to be max for high volume units.
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... &start=125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Having had a good run myself it wouldn't put me off, but I thought it worth mentioning for some perspective.

I'll be soon buying a rim for my planned xtra-wheel trailer purchase and I'll be buying yet another Velocity Dyad rim which is the 700c version of the Aeroheat.
I plan to team it with a Son28 hub for potential auxiliary charging duties.
I have the hub after an incorrectly delivered internet purchase.

I keep my oversized 2.35 tyres to 30psi to try to mitigate any problem or replicate Ricky's experience.
On my 406 Aeroheats, I have no hesitation of running my 1.75 Marathons at approx 50psi and I've run Maxxis Grifters at 100 psi for a couple of months prior to going in the Marathon direction.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:50 pm

Schwalbe Big Apples (2.3") at 50psi !!! :shock:

About equivalent to running your 25mm tyres at 180psi :roll: No wonder his rims cracked.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:13 am

il padrone wrote:Schwalbe Big Apples (2.3") at 50psi !!! :shock: .
Schwable suggest a pressure range of 30-55 PSI for the Big Apple 2.35 according to the specifications on their German website ...

That said at BROL there are a number of folks reporting issues with the Velocity Aeroheat rims running narrower tyres.

Andrew

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:36 am

Having had a number of velocity rims over the years I have decided that i prefer Mavic. Velocity rims are over hyped, easily dinged rubbish.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:44 am

il padrone wrote:Schwalbe Big Apples (2.3") at 50psi !!! :shock:

About equivalent to running your 25mm tyres at 180psi :roll: No wonder his rims cracked.
I'm not sure exactly what size rim/tyre width Ricky is/was running and caused his problems, but when I became
aware of it, I decided to run low pressures to attempt to ward off replication of his rim failure.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:48 am

singlespeedscott wrote:Having had a number of velocity rims over the years I have decided that i prefer Mavic. Velocity rims are over hyped, easily dinged rubbish.
Its funny how one person can have absolutely no problems and love a particular brand of rim, whilst another
obviously had the opposite experience and think said brand "rubbish".
I heard people swear that Mavic were the spawn of the devil and "never again".
I imagine its all in the luck of the draw.
You just got to roll the dice and see where it leads

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:35 am

To true. A bit like tyres. Some love certain brands and others swear that said brands are puncture prone and ride like cement.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:49 am

Aushiker wrote:
il padrone wrote:Schwalbe Big Apples (2.3") at 50psi !!! :shock: .
Schwable suggest a pressure range of 30-55 PSI for the Big Apple 2.35 according to the specifications on their German website ...
Funny also how here can be so many variations in tyre pressure recommendations. Frank Berto suggests a very different set of pressure ratings. A bit difficult to judge for larger sizes, but his graph suggests that about 45psi is best (for my weight) with 37mm tyres, and maybe 50psi when I have a fully-loaded bike. But my normal tyres are 47mm, and the Big Apples are nearly 60mm iirc. I'd expect that you'd need no more than 30psi to get a 15% tyre drop.

Mandatory helmet law?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:53 am

Berto's chart is also a bit conservative. I have found I can get away with about 10% less without any issues.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:19 pm

There's a new dynamo hub coming out in from SP Hubs, designed for the 15mm thru axle but with an adaptor if you want to use normal 9mm QR. The current series is 8 and this is designated as 8X, the X being 'extreme'. Slightly heavier than the PD-8 hub that I currently run but apparently more efficient. Better be as it's $70 more. Spotted on Ebay for pre-orders.
The SP Hubs catalogue for 2014 on their main page has more blurb.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:59 am

Cheers just4tehhalibut - been talked about for a while, nice to see it is almost here. "Adaptors for 135mm fat bikes are now available directly from an independent producer." That would be Kerry at k-lite

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:53 am

Trying to source a PD-8 in 28 hole ( pref red to match rear hub) but can't seem to find one. Its so I can reuse my existing rim rather than buy another one which may be a bit hard to match.

I can get a 32 hole one locally ( K-lite ).

Anyone help ?

When the usual eBay source has 32 hole, and same with SJS Cycles.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:42 am

MichaelB wrote:Trying to source a PD-8 in 28 hole ( pref red to match rear hub) but can't seem to find one. Its so I can reuse my existing rim rather than buy another one which may be a bit hard to match.

I can get a 32 hole one locally ( K-lite ).

Anyone help ?

When the usual eBay source has 32 hole, and same with SJS Cycles.
The SP store only lists the PD-8 in red in 32H, but it does have 28H in black & silver. They may do red as a special order. If Kerry from k-lite can't get it though, no-one could.

Exposure sell the hub with their branding, available in red & 28H, but I have only seen it as a package with their Revo light which puts the price up considerably, eg here & here & no doubt others

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:06 pm

Thanks find bruce, but that $40 more than on ebay ??!!!

I'll keep looking, but may have to go with a black one ... :(

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:38 pm

MichaelB wrote:Thanks find bruce, but that $40 more than on ebay ??!!!

Yep, there is clearly some "marketing" going on when direct from the manufacturer costs more than re-sellers. I suspect marketing is also behind why red is available in the Exposure brand & really limited otherwise.

You need to find someone who wants an exposure light & is happy to swap hubs. Don't look at me though - $333 is out of my league.

Another option may be to email Wouter gambietfietsen@xs4all.nl - It is not listed on his ebay store or website but he has reasonable prices & may be interested. He will soon tell you if he isn't though :D

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:12 am

find_bruce wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Thanks find bruce, but that $40 more than on ebay ??!!!

Yep, there is clearly some "marketing" going on when direct from the manufacturer costs more than re-sellers. I suspect marketing is also behind why red is available in the Exposure brand & really limited otherwise.

You need to find someone who wants an exposure light & is happy to swap hubs. Don't look at me though - $333 is out of my league.

Another option may be to email Wouter gambietfietsen@xs4all.nl - It is not listed on his ebay store or website but he has reasonable prices & may be interested. He will soon tell you if he isn't though :D
Thanks.

Emailed SP direct and got a "we have black and silver in stock ready to ship" but no answer on the red :roll:

I'll try your other tip, but it looks like a black one will be it :|

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:00 pm

Don't know about availability or whether they do 28 spoke version, but Supernova Infinity S is exactly the same hub (made by SP) and available in a range of colours too.
Mandatory helmet law?

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:57 pm

Sorry for the very basic question...I'm very new to all this stuff, but getting VERY tired of all the batteries (combination of disposable and recharging) that I'm having to deal with on a regular basis as a 5am cyclist in Melbourne.

Do these hubs being discussed provide power when stationary (even for a little while) to power lights while stopped at traffic lights etc?

E

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:04 pm

That is determined by the lights rather than the dynamo, but yes. Most high quality dynamo lights have a standlight (powered by a capacitor) that will power the light when stationary for about 5-6mins.
Mandatory helmet law?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:14 pm

il padrone wrote:Don't know about availability or whether they do 28 spoke version, but Supernova Infinity S is exactly the same hub (made by SP) and available in a range of colours too.
[sigh]

Again, only 32 hole, and centrelock to boot.

And miles more expensive.

Typically 199 Euro, so that doesn't work. I guess that includes VAT, but it still doesn't get it down to the SP PD-8 price.

Can get it in Red though ....... :roll:

I'll keep looking .... :?