Creatine help in improving endurance

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
maninlycra

Creatine help in improving endurance

Postby maninlycra » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:58 am

I used to take creatine during my gym days, helped strengthen the muscles like there was no tomorrow.

Wondering whether creatine could help me build endurance and some mass in my chicken feet :D

I usually ride about 40 Ks flat would like my legs to last longer.

foo on patrol

Re: Creatine help in improving endurance

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:26 pm

It ain't going to happen unless you put in the training! :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

r2160

Postby r2160 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:02 pm

Not sure about Creatine, but as foo said, saddle time.

The first time I got on a bike, I struggled to complete 10km. Now, it is a good day out doing 130km

Just ride, and consistency is the key

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:32 pm

For sure time on the bike needs to come first. I spent a year building my base to the point where I could ride consistently with the c graders at training and was doing about 300k a week. After that I plateaued, then started using a creatine/glutamine suppliment and within about 6 weeks could give the b graders a challenge at first then pretty much ride up the front which is where I'm at now. It has a place but is nothing without the base work first.

Cheers,

Phil.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:59 pm

maninlycra wrote:I used to take creatine during my gym days, helped strengthen the muscles like there was no tomorrow.

Wondering whether creatine could help me build endurance and some mass in my chicken feet :D

http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition ... s/creatine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Matt_Matt

Postby Matt_Matt » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:31 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
maninlycra wrote:I used to take creatine during my gym days, helped strengthen the muscles like there was no tomorrow.

http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition ... s/creatine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last Updated 3/1/07
I wonder if they ended up performing studies that actually tested the effects of creatine on specific performance outcomes ?

maninlycra

Postby maninlycra » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Thanks Guys for all the input.

The problem I face is after about 40 Ks the ride is just a drag.
I get desperate to reach home (destination).

The enjoyment factor gets down to negative.
Believe if my legs had it, I could soldier on, that's why I'am looking towards a supplement.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:01 pm

Personally, I can't see how using creatine to be able to ride extra distances will help you enjoy the ride, but putting in the effort to build your base naturally won't. 40km really isn't that far of a ride, I'd look at upping your distance by 10km per month. Maybe you need different routes to mix things up a bit.

My view is that creatine may be used as a supplement to make you a stronger rider, and/or recover quicker. So a performance enhancer in this sense. But not the type of supplement to help you cheat on not putting in the effort.

I know what it's like to hurt, and not enjoy a ride. I'm sure we've all been there. But we put in the effort to push that point further out. I remember when it used to be 60km for me, then 90km, then 140km. The worst I've ever felt was the last 40km of a 170km ride. I was bonking, hurting in all the wrong places, but didn't have a choice as I was 40km from home. That's how I would push my distances out, ride out to a point while I felt good, knowing there was no short cut back from my turn around point.

maninlycra

Postby maninlycra » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:27 pm

briztoon wrote:Personally, I can't see how using creatine to be able to ride extra distances will help you enjoy the ride, but putting in the effort to build your base naturally won't. 40km really isn't that far of a ride, I'd look at upping your distance by 10km per month. Maybe you need different routes to mix things up a bit.

My view is that creatine may be used as a supplement to make you a stronger rider, and/or recover quicker. So a performance enhancer in this sense. But not the type of supplement to help you cheat on not putting in the effort.

I know what it's like to hurt, and not enjoy a ride. I'm sure we've all been there. But we put in the effort to push that point further out. I remember when it used to be 60km for me, then 90km, then 140km. The worst I've ever felt was the last 40km of a 170km ride. I was bonking, hurting in all the wrong places, but didn't have a choice as I was 40km from home. That's how I would push my distances out, ride out to a point while I felt good, knowing there was no short cut back from my turn around point.
Its not so much about trying to keep upping the threshold, its more of enjoying every bit of it.
Eg- The first 20 Ks are so much enjoying, love the fact that I woke up early on the weekend (despite all the sacrifices) and actually rode while the rest of the world was recovering from a late night of FUN :oops:

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:46 pm

But that's exactly how you come to enjoy your rides. You up the distances where the last 10% - 20% of the ride hurts, until you reach a point where it no longer hurts.

When I started riding, my starting distance was 25km and it nearly killed me. I slowly upped my distances to 50km. Then I met my riding partner. She put me in the hurt locker for the first week, upping the distances over 3 rides to 100km. After that every ride was 100km+ and I'd be gritting my teeth my for the last 30km, then 20km. Then over time 100km became easy and then standard. We were riding 300+ km a week and enjoying the rides and scenery. Over time I became a stronger rider than my ride partner over distances up to 140km. As long as you have the fuel, it's just a case of mind over body.

Everyone says it. You have to put time in the saddle to get better and find the ride more comfortable.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:51 pm

maninlycra wrote:Thanks Guys for all the input.

Believe if my legs had it, I could soldier on, that's why I'am looking towards a supplement.
It sounds like your bonking.
Are you eating anything before the ride, during the ride. Drinking plain water, or water with gatorade or similar mixed in?
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:59 pm

I was in a similar position 2 years go, but I was asking how to get better at climbing mountains. SImple answer, I was told practice, practice and more practice. There is no "trick" to make it easy. Unless you go and take EPO and PED's. So you go and find the tallest mountain near you and do repeats. It never gets any easier, but you do get faster at going uphill. Long climbs are all about will power. I always try and channel my inner Jens Voigt.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:08 pm

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

clackers

Postby clackers » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:35 pm

maninlycra wrote: Believe if my legs had it, I could soldier on, that's why I'am looking towards a supplement.
Sugar can be that supplement to stop you bonking, ManInLycra.

Cheaper than creatine powder, too, I bet, which is more for your maximum efforts rather than your regular pedalling.

maninlycra

Postby maninlycra » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:55 pm

Baalzamon wrote:

It sounds like your bonking.
Are you eating anything before the ride, during the ride. Drinking plain water, or water with gatorade or similar mixed in?

Just have a cup of tea before riding, plain water while riding.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:00 am

This is because you are not fit enough, no other reason, as you get fitter, the legs will feel like this after 50, 60, 70 and so on in the Kms. Providing you are hydrated and have the energy reserves in your body, it will be the sole reason. :idea:

You need to read you body and that means your legs, because your top half could be feeling great but the legs can be getting heavy and they will not start feeling better from that point. Stop trying to take short cuts and find an easy way out, because this is one sport where there are no short cuts. :wink:

The above maybe blunt but it is the only way you will get better, so get on the bike read all that has been posted here to help people like you that want to improve. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

maninlycra

Postby maninlycra » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:07 am

CONCLUSION: Just Ride Away

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:42 am

That's it but sensibly! :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

kb

Postby kb » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:47 am

How hard do you go out of the gate? I'd try taking the first hour or so at moderate effort and see if it makes a difference.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:28 am

You don't need a supplement, you just need to ride/train more, and eat food.

Milky4130

Postby Milky4130 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:41 am

sounds like your ride is lacking some structure, try implementing some intervals, before you know it, you have arrived at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:29 am

Best thing you can do apart from riding with structure is ride with someone else who is a bit quicker than you are.

And that is also fun. :)

Of course keep hydrated properly, but apart from that have fun.

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:59 am

Being with other people will inconvenience them if you bonk after 90 minutes. Stay hydrated and carbed up on your rides!

Creatine might be something else you consider to help bursts of effort in an activity like MTB, but your thread title was about 'endurance'

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:52 pm

Your body needs fuel for it to run. As I suggested earlier your bonking and just drinking a cup of tea is empty calories and doesn't provide your body with the needed fuel carbs.

Take a banana, muesli bars something that has carbohydrates in it. Have it around the 25-30km mark. See how you go.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

nescius

Postby nescius » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:58 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Your body needs fuel for it to run. As I suggested earlier your bonking and just drinking a cup of tea is empty calories and doesn't provide your body with the needed fuel carbs.

Take a banana, muesli bars something that has carbohydrates in it. Have it around the 25-30km mark. See how you go.
+1

Eat something before you leave (a bowl of cereal or something) and take some bananas with you, eat one every hour or so and I bet you will be fine. Bonking is a terrible feeling and if it is happening every ride it won't be fun at all.

Creatine won't do anything for your endurance.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack