Pakenham to Drouin

kimmie

Pakenham to Drouin

Postby kimmie » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:42 pm

Hi guys,

Thinking of riding from Pakenham to Drouin via Princes Highway. Anyone has done the route? Having driven the route, it seems like a 'not-too-hard' ride.

One other thing to ask, especially those of you who live in Pakenham, is there a safe place to park my car for the whole day (plan to start from Pakenham early morning like 5.30am and back at 5.00pm)?
Any suggestions of a place to park my car that long in Pakenham? Preferably not too far from the freeway.

Thanks guys
"Ride like the wind, Bullseye!"

VRE

Re: Pakenham to Drouin

Postby VRE » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:51 pm

The train station, perhaps? It's less than 1km from the highway. Also, there are options other than the Princes Hwy to get to Drouin, such as the roads just to the south. I've only ridden Pakenham to Drouin once, as part of the Audax Noojee Loop ride, but we didn't use the highway. I did ride to Pakenham via the highway, and it seemed OK. Can't comment on the highway east of Pakenham, though, as I've never ridden it.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:56 pm

There's a back road which follows the train line and most locals ride this. Doesn't really matter where you park your car in Pakenham, probably wont have wheels on it when you get back regardless.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:43 pm

I have often done rides from Pakenham and have driven down. I've parked my car in the car park near the railway station (on Railway Ave) for the day and never had any problems.

The 'highway' east of the Nar Nar Goon interchange is actually the freeway - very busy, fast traffic and not very pleasant to ride. A better route from Pakenham is to ride out on Bald Hill Road and then the road that follows the rail line from Nar Nar Goon through Tynong, Garfield, Bunyip, and Longwarry is a much better ride. From Longwarry cross the rail-line and take the Longwarry-Drouin Road over Red Hill.

Fairly peaceful, direct, and flatter than the freeway.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:09 pm

Agree with Il Padrone - ride the Old Princes Hwy from Pakenham to Nar Nar Goon, then go through Nar Nar Goon and onto the Nar Nar Goon Longwarry Rd - it is a good road to travel and not real busy during the day. At Longwarry, you have two options - take the road directly to Drouin, which has a very nice hill to climb, or, take the road through to the Princes Freeway along Sand Road, then onto the Old Princes Hwy at Drouin West and into Drouin that way.

I would strongly recommend using a rear bike light during your travels.

I did the 'Pakenham Parcours' a few weeks back - Strava here:- http://app.strava.com/activities/65758488" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did, however, take the freeway from Bunyip to Warragul that day - had to take a nature break!

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

clackers

Postby clackers » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:49 pm

Check http://www.theslog.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for some ideas, Kimmie!

toppity

Postby toppity » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:26 am

Hi there,

As far as places to park go, there is the train station or, not far from there is a shopping centre that is busy all day so parking there would be fairly safe I would think. The shopping centre is only 200 metres from the station and has a coles and safeway in it.

I've ridden all the roads around that way. I lived in Pakenham for a while and now live on the Nar Nar goon - Longwarry road that is mentioned above.

I don't mind the freeway actually. The emergency stopping lane is wide but has lots of loose stones on it. You'd definitely need solid tyres to be confident of remaining puncture free. On this route the climb up to Drouin is long but steady. To take a slightly different route towards the end of the ride, get off the freeway at the Longwarry service centres. Turn left and go up to the old Highway where you turn right, travel through Robin Hood and hook into Drouin. It's a nice climb that is slightly tougher than the freeway.

If you want to take the winding, not-too-direct road, leave Pakenham on Bald Hill road. When you get to the tee intersection with 7 mile road turn right instead of left. This road will take you up to the Bunyip river/main drain (about 8 kms). Then turn left on to the Bunvip river road. This will take you all the way to Bunyip. This road is in very good condition compared to the Nar Nar Goon - Longwarry road and has 5% of the traffic. From Bunyip you can take the Nar Nar goon Longwarry road to Longwarry and then head up the Drouin hill into Drouin. It's a tough little climb because it gets steeper as you go. I never have gone over the top of it without feeling the pinch. Once you go over that hill you are just about there. Going down is a lot more fun than going up of course. I even hold the strava record for the decent. I think it is the only one I still have :D .

The above route will show you some pleasant farm land on very quiet roads but does add some km's to the journey.

If you do decide to go all the way along the Nar Nar Goon - Longwarry road make sure you have a good rear light. The traffic has increased on this road in the last few years and it is quite narrow for a 100kmh road. The condition of the road has also deteriorated towards the Longwarry end.

Have fun and remember to wave at the fat bloke working in the paddock when I really should be out riding :( . Ohh and be careful of the magpies going into Drouin. The one going past the Broiler farms is a menace.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:08 am

Hi guys

WOW!

I didn't expect quite an extensive replies, but this is really encouraging... so thank you... no, THANK YOU, for all of these. :D

Re: the route... I am not too keen with steep hills, and I am bit concern about the time/extra KMs as well, because for my work, I HAVE to be in Drouin by (or around) 8.00am. I am a slowish rider too, so I am planning to start from Pakenham at 6.00am, and according to googlemaps, the distance (via freeway) is about 42-44km (I guess depending on where I start in Pakenham), so I assume I will need 2 hour-ish with my current fitness level. I love the idea of taking a quieter route, but is it a 'straight forward' route that easy to follow without any (or little) chance to lost? :-)

Will spend a good time researching those alternative route, and if possible maybe will try to 'drive' it before hand so I am sure before the ride.

In the meantime, PLEASE send more ideas/concerns/tips, guys! truly helpful!

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:50 am

il padrone wrote:I have often done rides from Pakenham and have driven down. I've parked my car in the car park near the railway station (on Railway Ave) for the day and never had any problems.

The 'highway' east of the Nar Nar Goon interchange is actually the freeway - very busy, fast traffic and not very pleasant to ride. A better route from Pakenham is to ride out on Bald Hill Road and then the road that follows the rail line from Nar Nar Goon through Tynong, Garfield, Bunyip, and Longwarry is a much better ride. From Longwarry cross the rail-line and take the Longwarry-Drouin Road over Red Hill.

Fairly peaceful, direct, and flatter than the freeway.
Il Padrone, what is the road's surface look like on this alt-route? I have a 700x23 roadie, will it be OK for it?

I googlemaps and could you please take a look at this link, and tell me it this is pretty much what you suggested? :-)

Thanks heaps!

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:44 pm

The road is fine mate - I rode it on my rocketship CAAD10 with 700 x 23c just last week!

The route you have chosen is relatively flat - just a couple of small hills into Drouin - no biggie and you will most likely have a tailwind, given the weather down here the past couple of months!

It is only about 30Km from Nar Nar Goon to Drouin, so, averaging 25 - 28Kph, you'd do it easily in just over an hour.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:05 pm

G'day macca33,

Tried the route after work this arvo... All of you were right, the road is good and is quiet. However, as someone mentioned earlier, the road is small and its speed limit is 100km/h. This arvo when I took that route, there were only my car and one other car. How busy is that small road in the morning (before 8am) and in the afternoon?

One thing for sure, I will get from wiggle some extra bright rear lights...

Cheers...

macca33 wrote:The road is fine mate - I rode it on my rocketship CAAD10 with 700 x 23c just last week!

The route you have chosen is relatively flat - just a couple of small hills into Drouin - no biggie and you will most likely have a tailwind, given the weather down here the past couple of months!

It is only about 30Km from Nar Nar Goon to Drouin, so, averaging 25 - 28Kph, you'd do it easily in just over an hour.

cheers

kimmie

Ringwood to Pakenham to Drouin

Postby kimmie » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:27 pm

Hi guys,

Thinking of raising the 'challenge'... Anyone has a suggestion of a safe route between Ringwood to Pakenham? :-)

Thanks

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:52 pm

You'd start with the Eastlink trail, surely! :)

ShogunHy

Postby ShogunHy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:59 pm

Start from the Coach & Horse in Ringwood good spot to park the car (pokie joint so has CCTV) and the track runs beside - my plan to commute to Dandenong South and back which is 60klm round trip
Shogun Metro SE Flat Bar Hybrid - Circa late 90's
Specialized Sirrus Comp - 2011