TimW

Re: M7 cycleway and enforced speed limits

Postby TimW » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:22 pm

" its my topic and i'll lock if i want to"

:mrgreen:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:29 pm

DoubleSpeeded wrote:and your administrations of state, local or RTA... at the end of the day... where does the money for the infringements go?!
Umm... :?

Into state government coffers - general revenue. Has no impact on any Federal Goverment funds.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:42 pm

il padrone wrote:
DoubleSpeeded wrote:and your administrations of state, local or RTA... at the end of the day... where does the money for the infringements go?!
Umm... :?

Into state government coffers - general revenue. Has no impact on any Federal Goverment funds.

whatever floats your boat dude

at the end of the day, these things arent always here to keep people honest. revenue is revenue , comes out of your pocket..regardless of where it goes...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:53 pm

TimW wrote:" its my topic and i'll lock if i want to"

:mrgreen:

Who me? :lol:

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:51 pm

g-boaf wrote:I've been made aware by a rider this morning that the previous 30km/h advised speed limit on the Western Sydney M7 cycleway is now mandatory 30km/h and enforced by Police on bicycles.

I was told that the reason behind it was a cyclist ran over a pedestrian's apparently unrestrained dog.

Anyone else know any more?
I could be wrong but I would think if there was a speed limit there would be a requirement for the pathway to carry appropriate signage at all of its entry points.
I sense an urban myth in the making here possibly pushed along by the one-time presence of bicycle-mounted rozzers. ("Dog got hit by a a cyclist so the coppers are going to clamp down on us.....")

Way to find out would be to call the local council or councils that run the path or the local cop shop.

Or you can just give a few bucks to your local councillor so he or she can pass the money on to Julia Gillard to help bail-out the country. :shock:
Not my circus, not my monkeys

apsilon

Postby apsilon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:17 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:I could be wrong but I would think if there was a speed limit there would be a requirement for the pathway to carry appropriate signage at all of its entry points.
Couldn't agree more. I hadn't been on the M7 path for a couple of years but made a point of having a look yesterday. Only rode a small small section of it but didn't see one speed limit posted along it or and entry/exit points.

TimW

Postby TimW » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:24 pm

apsilon wrote:
gorilla monsoon wrote:I could be wrong but I would think if there was a speed limit there would be a requirement for the pathway to carry appropriate signage at all of its entry points.
Couldn't agree more. I hadn't been on the M7 path for a couple of years but made a point of having a look yesterday. Only rode a small small section of it but didn't see one speed limit posted along it or and entry/exit points.

You might want to have another look, as there are signs at many exits/entrances stipulating an advisory speed limit which is not enforceable of 30 kph. I know %100 for sure there are signs at Bella Vista,Sunnyholt Rd Eliz Drive,Prestons . If your still in doubt, i will get some photos.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:05 pm

i did say I could be wrong. I have never been on the path so will defer to those who have. But I agree that any speed limit could not be enforced because bicycles re not required by law to have speedometers.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:01 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:i did say I could be wrong. I have never been on the path so will defer to those who have. But I agree that any speed limit could not be enforced because bicycles re not required by law to have speedometers.
Doesn't mean they can't be done for speeding... Where was that article again about the cyclist who was pulled over for speeding in NSW? :P

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:32 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:i did say I could be wrong. I have never been on the path so will defer to those who have. But I agree that any speed limit could not be enforced because bicycles re not required by law to have speedometers.
This is a bit of an urban myth. The presence or absence of a speedo has nothing to do with any speed limit enforcement. I have seen riders on the GVBR get done for exceeding the speed limit (descent into Marengo, near Apollo Bay. Quite easy to blow through the 60kmh limit coming into town)
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:46 pm

Twice in one day I've been wrong :mrgreen: . That's it then. I'm going home.

apsilon

Postby apsilon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:32 pm

I'm wrong as well. I went back and had a look at the video from my ride and there actually is a sign at the entrance/exit point I used :oops:

Didn't even notice it at the time LOL.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:04 pm

I don't think many people really go much more than 30 anyhow, except for the downhill sections - or the really fast riders who do 40 just about everywhere.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:00 pm

TNFPR bwhashahahahahahha

Bicycle cops eh? I'll believe it when I see it. Might do some good enforcement for the occasional clown that rigs a mantrap... oh wait, bicycles are going to kill people, unlike the 2 ton terrors on the road :roll:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:49 am

Yeah well, you and Coops I know about as I damn near slaughtered myself just keeping on your wheels. :lol:
Last edited by g-boaf on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:18 am

It's gotten quite silly the last two weeks as well :shock: 30 is the resting pace up the hills.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:24 am

Bloody hell! :shock: I've been watching on Strava. I've had a few quicker runs up Col de Elizabeth recently too, but not that fast. :mrgreen:

Hope to get back out there soon. I'm might try see how I go with 30km tonight.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:37 am

Maybe meet up at Eliz for a cruise to Prestons? Gentler on the knees?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:43 pm

I won't do the M7 today - I will stay closer to home in case the injury should flare up.

Once I know it is fine I will get back to the M7.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:56 pm

copypasta?? ;) Take care of that knee!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Ended up only doing 20km as the light went flat - but did ride for a while with Zozza. :)

Leg and knee seems to be on the mend now.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:23 pm

Just in case some are checking this one out still, there are a LOT of people on the path with the warmer weather. If you are out while it is still light, it's worth keeping your eyes peeled. We ended up having to slow the pain train down and go single file a couple times last night just to maintain safety. Even when the peds hug the rail, it's real squeezy if you've got riders coming towards you.