New B&M IQ headlight in the pipeline

HappyHumber

Re: New B&M IQ headlight in the pipeline

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:15 pm

Ve haff ways of making you be seen!

--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:54 pm

il padrone wrote:Quite surprising to see the approach that the Germans take towards bicycle lighting. According to the 2013 Busch & Muller catalogue:
German road traffi c regulations (StVZO) stipulate that if a bicycle is to participate in road traffic, it must among other things be equipped with a headlight offering a light output of at least 10 Lux, as well as a rear light, both of which have to be powered by a dynamo. Racing cycles that weigh no more than 11 kg are an exception: They may participate in traffic using specially approved, battery powered lights (current state of affairs).

So if you are riding any bike that weighs more than 11kg you must have a dynamo lightset fitted :o
Yep, and they do.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:33 pm

Aushiker wrote:... ' B&M will release a "Mini Me" version of the Luxos called "Lumotec IQ2 Eyc" '... The release slogan seems to be "50 euro for 50 Lux".
Just spotted on Rose Versand the Eyc T but going for 54 Euros (VAT included, for European customers). Looks to be smaller than the Cyo T, trading down from the Cyo T's 60 Lux to 50 but with better side vision. Might work for Audaxing if you want a small but bright headlight with good roo detecting powers but don't also want the USB recharge facility and other functions of the Luxos U. As I said earlier on the Cyo is a bright light but I needed to spot roos on the verge as well as the road the Luxos U was brilliant for that, maybe this also?
Not in stock for another 5 weeks but.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:06 am

My EYC arrives tomorrow, destined for my Trucker Deluxe build. I also noticed that Rose Versand is selling some other new B&M lights that haven't been heralded and no other webshop seems to list yet.

The Cyo R Premium T, a 60 Lux headlight with reflector. Seems to be only a few Euros more than the Cyo RT that I currently use, that's only 40 Lux.

Then there's the Cyo Premium T (yep, not the Cyo R Premium T. Those funny Germans.) which is basically the Cyo R Premium T but without the limiting factor of a built-in reflector so at 80 Lux. A bit like the 60 Lux Cyo T is the Cyo RT without the reflector.

The long-and-short is that there's a couple of new headlight models in that they've made the old models 'brighter'. But they still sell the old models even though these and the Luxos B seem to be obsolete now.

And for taillights they've updated the Secula model, you now have one for mudguard mount and interestly one for the seatstay. And another for racks, the Toplight View plus.
Since there's nothing much on the bumm.de website, at least in English, it isn't clear if any of these new products are fully compatible with existing lights, remember the issue that we had with the Luxos U head and the Brake Plus taillight.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:55 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:... and interestly one for the seatstay.

Thanks for the heads-up on these. That is a great move by Busch and Mueller in my view as not everyone wants to run a rack or a mudguard.

Andrew
Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:10 pm

However if you do use a rear rack, this Toplight View Plus is another great tail-light

ImageImage
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:39 am

I tried the new B&M Eyc headlight this morning. It looks like the baby of what happens when you leave a Luxos and a Cyo headlight in a dark room for too long, roughly speaking it is 2cm shorter in length and height than the Cyo and very tiny compared to the bullfrog Luxos, still packs a bright light. There is an optional reflector to clip on below the lens, as like with the Luxos only smaller. Similar spread of light as the Cyo, out but not wide to the verge, but with good near illumination as like the Luxos. There's the short wires to the taillight and a long wire to the dynamo as like the Cyo. Otherwise it looks like a mini Luxos in the design of the lense and hood, right down to the button on the back as opposed to a dial to turn on or off a Cyo. So, tiny. And there you start to get issues ...
Image Image Image
I had been using a Cyo headlight on one of those nifty Supernova multimounts, the Eyc will use the same mount but has ridges that limit setup, you have to use the bracket sticking up nearly vertical as opposed to the horizontal that I needed for getting around my canti brake cables. And whatever bracket you use to mount it won't cover completely the opening at the base of the light, if you turn it upside down you can see inside to the guts. Maybe it won't be a problem if your bike has mudguards and you never turn your bike upside down when cleaning it. Otherwise look to plugging that gap up. I'll be machining up a better mounting bracket and playing with rubber strips to fix these two problems.

I'm using this light on my Trucker Deluxe as I want something small and lightweight but that packs a punch, it achieves this. If you are thinking of a dynamo light for your folder this one would be ideal.

PS I've just noticed that Rose Versand has put the Cyo and Luxos headlights on special since they started stocking the Eyc. Price would be with VAT included, we don't get VAT'd.

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:58 pm

When you see the 3 lights like the row of pictures above, the ones with the optional reflectors have a ZZ Top look to them. There are maybe a few tourers fitting a bearded stereotype?

I just put good quality white 3M reflector on the front of the fork blades of most of my bikes. it's a shame that the diamond reflector sticky sheet (as used on witches hats etc) doesn't bend sharply enough and I need to use what is effectively the next grade down.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:41 am

A review from the perspective of the dark side has popped up ... a Metabikes rider has shared his thoughts. If you are interested you will find the review at the DarkerSide.

Andrew
Andrew

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:27 pm

I still haven't ordered mine. Looks like I'm not going to make it before Gerry Harvey gets his way and stuffs it up, leaving us in an isolated, protected and artificially overpriced market again :x
Dogs are the best people :wink:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:37 pm

Aushiker wrote:Image

A review from the perspective of the dark side has popped up ... a Metabikes rider has shared his thoughts. If you are interested you will find the review at the DarkerSide.

Andrew
Thanks, that photo had me very confused until I read the article :)

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:57 pm

Mine is still doing good service, albeit a little infrequently the last couple of months. Probably will be racking up the night-time Ks over the summer months in terms Audax. I think J4TH has had his second IQ2 Luxos U Unit for a while now too..... I lose track of his armoury.
--

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:19 pm

Revisiting the Busch & Muller Secula Plus for Seat Post or Stay (331/2ASK) that just4tehhalibut referred to a couple of posts back.

I know that Dave has one coming but does anyone else have any experience with these? I am particularly interested in how they compare with the Philips Saferide SRRDLGBLX1 and if I could get away with running two of either rear light in-combination with a Busch & Muller Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U front light. All of which will be powered by, a SP PD-8 dynamo.

Thanks
Andrew
Andrew

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:57 pm

I also wanted the Secula Plus when shopping a few months back, but they were not available yet.
Would be interested to hear any feed back too.
Currently running a PD8, U & TOPLIGHT Line brake plus (This is quite big and would prefer something smaller for a roadie)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:59 am

Aushiker wrote:Revisiting the Busch & Muller Secula Plus for Seat Post or Stay (331/2ASK) that just4tehhalibut referred to a couple of posts back.

I know that Dave has one coming but does anyone else have any experience with these? I am particularly interested in how they compare with the Philips Saferide SRRDLGBLX1 and if I could get away with running two of either rear light in-combination with a Busch & Muller Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U front light. All of which will be powered by, a SP PD-8 dynamo.

Thanks
Andrew
Just thought I'd bring to yours and anyone whose interesteds attention that Philips has a seatpost adapter that fits the Philips Lumiring and I strongly suspect the B&M Topline offerings that would normally attach to a Tubus rack.
http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/e ... ct/860890/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:48 am

rifraf wrote:Just thought I'd bring to yours and anyone whose interesteds attention that Philips has a seatpost adapter that fits the Philips Lumiring and I strongly suspect the B&M Topline offerings that would normally attach to a Tubus rack.
http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/e ... ct/860890/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is an option except I don't have seat posts :)

Andrew
Andrew

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Or saddle rails.
The Phillips bracket would do the same job as the Secula, fitting on a seatstay or some other tube, however it is plastic and a bit flimsy so I wouldn't trust it with the larger taillights like your B&M Toplight BrakePlus model. Hence I gave mine away. Maybe it would work with a Toplight Mini?

I've ordered two of the Seculas, one will replace a Mini that I had mounted via a homemade bracket on the seatstay. I'll let you know how secure it mounts, how adaptable and how bright it is.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:42 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:Or saddle rails.
The Phillips bracket would do the same job as the Secula, fitting on a seatstay or some other tube, however it is plastic and a bit flimsy so I wouldn't trust it with the larger taillights like your B&M Toplight BrakePlus model. Hence I gave mine away. Maybe it would work with a Toplight Mini?

I've ordered two of the Seculas, one will replace a Mini that I had mounted via a homemade bracket on the seatstay. I'll let you know how secure it mounts, how adaptable and how bright it is.
I have a Philips saferide 80 and whilst a good light. the mounting bracket on it is p'weak also. It appears Philips have continued their form for cost cutting on mounting brackets.

This thread is becoming more pertinent as I have noticed the days are getting shorter again already :cry:
The Summer solstice was on Dec 22.
Back to school bills wont allow me to buy a luxos u yet. Need to hurry up though. I've had enough of batteries.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:04 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:I've ordered two of the Seculas, one will replace a Mini that I had mounted via a homemade bracket on the seatstay. I'll let you know how secure it mounts, how adaptable and how bright it is.
Thanks. There is a bit of review at http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/ ... ex_en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Conclusion is:
The first good fender mounted LED based taillamp.
Very good visibility, optics are good (though to the rear not as good as the optics of the Lumiring). Power use is high.
The power usage is a little niggle but. The light he sings praises about, the Philips Saferide lumiring is of course a rack mounted light.

Andrew
Andrew

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:51 pm

A better look at the Secula Plus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdH8T6HJRx0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If anyone in Brisbane wants to go halves on shipping from the German sites PM me...

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:13 pm

Thanks for sharing, Crawf. I'm always a bit dubious about interwebs postings of beam and night shots such as he did towards the end; there's just too many factors that can influence what looks good and bad at the viewers end.

I was more interested in the mounting hardware and wire terminal connection. He didn't show any of the latter, but from what I could make out of his opening of the package - it looks like a cable/zip tie fastener with frame specific rubber bushings on the seat stay.
--

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:13 am

Thanks Crawf.

Andrew
Andrew

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:13 pm

Crawf wrote:A better look at the Secula Plus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdH8T6HJRx0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If anyone in Brisbane wants to go halves on shipping from the German sites PM me...
Gah, and I just ordered.

Bike24 is out of the 1752QSNDi-04 cyo (80lux, no reflector or DRL) BTW. No restock in sight, I got the last one and had to grab a Eyc (50lux, tiny) in place of #2. Also grabbed a Secula plus (fender) and a lumiring (rack). I've been happy with the topline braketec plus, but having witnessed a lumiring I'm keen to use it.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:16 am

I'm very happy with my lumiring in use so far.
Only done half a dozen night runs of 20km or so, but it seems to be working well and the stand-light function appears to be great.
I cant compare its brightness with any of the B&M products for anyone as I've used a Serfas blinky up to this point.
Its my first dynamo led tail-light.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:49 am

Aushiker wrote:
The first good fender mounted LED based taillamp.
Very good visibility, optics are good (though to the rear not as good as the optics of the Lumiring). Power use is high.
The power usage is a little niggle but.
What difference would the power usage make in practice?