Beanpropulsion v Time pedals

beanspropulsion

Beanpropulsion v Time pedals

Postby beanspropulsion » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:40 am

Ok so I thought I would try some Time pedals from Ribble.

I wanted something different and these were the right price and pretty light at 220g.

Unfortunately nowhere on the advertising does it state that max limit rider weight is 90kg. I only saw this on a customer review after receiving the pedals.

I am 90.3kg.....

Anyway I wasn't going to send them back and my old Shimano's cleats were cactus and I couldn't justify myself $36 for new cleats V $60 for new pedals and cleats.

Surely their was some wiggle room to the limit? On the conservative side maybe?

Well nope.

After 6 weeks of use:

My review of Time Xpresso pedals is that they are great if you are a lightweight.

Now to buy some more Shimano's that I can really stomp on.

warthog1

Re: Beanpropulsion v Time pedals

Postby warthog1 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:10 pm

Thanks for the heads up. They are rubbish :x
Dogs are the best people :wink:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:43 pm

Hmmm. Plastic. :|

Rounding to the nearest kg, you are still 90kgs. :wink:

I'd make a warranty claim just to annoy them for releasing such crap and not advising the weight limit. Then eBay the replacements off as NIB but disclosing the weight limit and your history with the brand. Gets you some money back but keeps the conscience clear? There will be someone with a different risk appetite who will buy at the right price.

beanspropulsion

Postby beanspropulsion » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:00 pm

Can't be bothered with warranty rubbish.

Will give them to the bike shop where I picked up my new bike. They can put them on their wall of shame.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Wall of shame :lol:

Sounds like a plan.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:50 pm

Frig...I'd say unlucky, looks like a road bike pedal?

Started out with MTB Time Atac Aluminiums
Now running MTB TIME ATAC XS's on all my bikes. No problems for 5yrs plenty of kms done, all good and recommend them.

Rob

beanspropulsion

Postby beanspropulsion » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:12 pm

Rob74 wrote:Frig...I'd say unlucky, looks like a road bike pedal?

Rob
Yeah a road bike pedal. Went and got myself some Shimano's this afternoon, just went for a quick spin, it's like coming home.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Keywin CRM Ti's. no rider weight limit, fully serviceable, and easy to use. Cleats also very low profile so easy to walk in. My favourite pedal by miles and better than stuff 5 times the price.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

AndyRevill

Postby AndyRevill » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:52 pm

I think you'll find that the 90kg limit only applies to the Ti version (according to the blurb that came with my pedals). I have the Xpresso 6 and weigh 93kg and have had no problems. I'd be making a warranty claim.

Andy
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5

beanspropulsion

Postby beanspropulsion » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:56 pm

AndyRevill wrote:I think you'll find that the 90kg limit only applies to the Ti version (according to the blurb that came with my pedals). I have the Xpresso 6 and weigh 93kg and have had no problems. I'd be making a warranty claim.

Andy

Ok mate thank's for the heads up....

Watch this space

spirito

Postby spirito » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:16 pm

This thread reminds of a joke: What's the difference between crash test dummies and weight weenies? Crash test dummies can't post on the interwebs.

You can read all the manufacturer warnings you wish but I still think a little common sense wouldn't go astray. 220g vs. 90kg's ... do the math. At some point it will fail, especially on something with immense direct loads like a pedal.

Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

beanspropulsion

Postby beanspropulsion » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:16 pm

spirito wrote:This thread reminds of a joke: What's the difference between crash test dummies and weight weenies? Crash test dummies can't post on the interwebs.

You can read all the manufacturer warnings you wish but I still think a little common sense wouldn't go astray. 220g vs. 90kg's ... do the math. At some point it will fail, especially on something with immense direct loads like a pedal.

Hey with me common and sense don't go together....

Anyway as I stated I'm not complaining I found out about the weight limit after purchase but decided to use the pedals anyway.

That's if there is a weight limit on these. AndyRevill says it is the titanium pedals that have a weight limit.
Last edited by beanspropulsion on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:25 pm

:shock: Eeep! I bet hosing yer knicks out afterwards was a pain.
No way I'd be going back to them...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

spirito

Postby spirito » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:03 pm

beanspropulsion wrote:

That's if there is a weight limit on these. AndyRevill says it is the titanium pedals that have a weight limit.
It's actually not about weight limit per se. Have a look at the pedals ... (these aren't the actual but the design is the same): The axle only goes as far as the instep, the rest of the body is plastic. If this was a shoe I wouldn't consider it to be safe to walk on, let alone a pedal that receives quite a lot of sustained force.

I'm not saying don't go light weight, but I am saying have a look at the items and weigh them up in your hands: if it feels ridiculously light then it probably is and I wouldn't expect such items to last very long or prove sturdy over time. Pedals get smashed around, scuffed scratched and are often the first point of contact in accidents. Looking to shave weight here is often not the best place imo.

Now to weigh up what the difference is for such lightweight pedals On a flat road - next to nothing, same in a time trial. On 2km climb at 5% for a 90kg rider you're looking to save 0.7 seconds for having 220g pedals instead of 420g pedals. Most anyone here could gain back that 0.7 seconds by 3 strong pedal strokes. Food for thought.

Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

beanspropulsion

Postby beanspropulsion » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:20 pm

I'm not too concerned with saving weight much, back on the Shimano's and didn't notice any difference durung the 100k's I cranked out this morning. I'm actually glad to have some solidity underfoot having seen the materials of the Time pedal in cross section.

When all said and done the best way to get faster is to lose weight but I'm just over 6 foot and will never be a lightweight. I love my red wine and goodies too much.

Interesting stats Spirito. What about wheels? Do you have stats for them in the same vein?

spirito

Postby spirito » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:35 pm

beanspropulsion wrote: I love my red wine and goodies too much.
That's good ... we speak the same language. :mrgreen:

My mistake for assuming you opted for the time pedals due to their light weight. I agree and feel the same with regards liking a solid platform underfoot as I'm heavier than you and will always opt for a solid cromo axle. Especially for us who love to ride but aren't paid to ride, makes long term sense.

re: stats ... go to town :wink: http://www.analyticcycling.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's modeling for almost every factor. I often use such stats because it's cold hard facts and overwhelmingly as we all know the biggest factor is the rider, and not the marketing dept's with their never ending unsupported claims and false hype. Plus it's fun.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:55 pm

spirito wrote:Image
I look at this and wonder where
Gets to sit... :?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mozzar

Postby Mozzar » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:09 pm

There are time pedals that will take your weight and i currently use time pedals and find them much better then shimano or look. the time pedals are much eaier to clip into but still just as firm when clipped in. you just bought the wrong type of time pedal considering your weight and the weight of the pedals. you should have thought that with the pedals being so light they must have a weight limit and questioned the shop about it. there are a set of time pedals with a cro-mo axel that can withstand about 100kg, but don't hold me to this.

beanspropulsion

Postby beanspropulsion » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:37 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
spirito wrote:Image
I look at this and wonder where
Gets to sit... :?

I did make a noise like Chewbacca when it broke ;)