Parra to Blacktown Route Question

bigfriendlyvegan

Parra to Blacktown Route Question

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:48 pm

I have to ride from Meadowbank TAFE to Blacktown TAFE on Thursday. The last time I went I took my normal route towards Quaker's Hill, turned down Sunny Holt Rd and went that way. This time I don't have enough time to go the long way around (at least on the ride there), so I was looking for a shorter route and need some advice.

Would the following be a good route?

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Bl ... matta-Park" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm particularly interested in where the route deviates from Old Windsor Road, as I haven't ridden along there before and I don't know what the road is like. Is there a better/more popular way through?

bigfriendlyvegan

Re: Parra to Blacktown Route Question

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:34 am

Not far off, though the bikely one headed down Fitzwilliam. From this map, I follow the bike route along Old Windsor Rd (which I've ridden hundreds of times) and instead of going under the bridge and curling around the other side of OWR, I turn left. I've always wondered what's down there.
This will probably do. Google bike directions aren't too bad. I found a new route to Oxford Street tonight that doesn't involve going along the King St Cy (stop at the lights) cle (stop at the lights) wa (stop at the lights) y (stop at the lights). I was going to say I found the back way into Oxford Street, but that would be too easy a joke to make.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:12 am

That'd be your problem, since when do cyclists stop at lights :wink:

You have piqued my curiosity about an alternate route across the CBD, I have tried a few still haven't found one I like better than King St.

I haven't ridden that much around Blacktown, but for me it was more a case of which roads I would prefer to avoid & Fitzwilliam is one of those for me (a mate lives just off here). It is a wide road & is rideable, I would just rather not if there was an alternative. Pity there is not a path all the way up Toongabbie Creek
Anything you can do, I can do slower

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:44 pm

find_bruce wrote:That'd be your problem, since when do cyclists stop at lights :wink:

You have piqued my curiosity about an alternate route across the CBD, I have tried a few still haven't found one I like better than King St.

I haven't ridden that much around Blacktown, but for me it was more a case of which roads I would prefer to avoid & Fitzwilliam is one of those for me (a mate lives just off here). It is a wide road & is rideable, I would just rather not if there was an alternative. Pity there is not a path all the way up Toongabbie Creek
Fitzwilliam Street was the one I was concerned about. Having ridden past there along Old Windsor Road countless times, I know that there's a fair bit of traffic on it and I didn't know what the conditions were like further on.

As for the CBD, I went via Pyrmont, under Pyrmont Bridge and down to Tumbalong park (sp?), across the little bridge thing there, down Dixon, onto Goulburn St and along that to Wentworth. It's just a quick block or so until Oxford St. In fact, I shot past it thinking it was further up. It's quite easy, actually. I had never thought of going around and into the city from that direction. Here's the google maps link.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:26 pm

Thanks, I have started riding around darling Harbour to avoid Pyrmont Bridge & prefer Exhibition St - I can maintain 35-40 km/h along there. I have been going Up Bathurst St & Down Liverpool St though, & will try Goulburn St instead.

leximack

Postby leximack » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:41 pm

I have ridden Fitzwilliam many times with no issues. Its pretty wide road (1.5 lanes wide mostly) so the cars go single file and you have a decent amount of space for yourself.
I think I have been on that cycleway you mention once before but cant really remember what it was like so cant comment. But I guess it musnt have been too good if I have only ever done it once :shock: :shock: :wink: :wink:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:54 pm

Perhaps I could have been clearer. Nothing wrong with the road, width or otherwise - googlemap

My issue is more to do with the actions of the drivers I have witnessed when visiting my mate on Reynolds St & the numerous accidents he reports on the corner from Old Windsor Rd. Maybe it was the time of day or maybe I was just unlucky. The drivers might even have improved in the 18 months since I have been there. I am fairly robust where I will ride, but the percentage of morons was too high for my taste.

Rode Goulburn St home tonight & it was much better than Liverpool St thanks