Lets try rollers....I need a spare rear wheel PERTH

PommieYeti

Lets try rollers....I need a spare rear wheel PERTH

Postby PommieYeti » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:52 am

]After watching the first 24 episodes of the complete series of 24 i realized i have another 167 episodes till i have finished the complete series and instead of sat on my bum watching I may as well have a go at this indoor trainer thing :D and maybe watch tv while doing so.
After a quick looksy on the gumtree I found a set of second hand nylon/plastic rollers (now I don't know why I went for them instead of the other types of indoor trainers. Maybe they look cooler :D)
anyway these rollers have the bar on the front that you can clip the front forks in (you can also remove this and use as proper rollers which in time i will do, but baby steps first)
So i bolted my commuter bike on and away I went, apart from the noise which isnt to bad it was quite enjoyable, for the ten odd minutes I did. :oops: (i am a newbie at this and my tea was ready)
The rear tyre size is 32mm on my bike and when i stopped the tyre was quite warm ish is this normal? as it did look a little flatter when riding maybe this extra spread created more friction ?

What I am wanting is a another rear wheel that I can swap over when using the rollers, i will fit it with a smaller width tyre/maybe a proper training tyre? can anyone see any problems with this not working? if anyone has any advice on tyres or where i can get a spare wheel with casette. The one thats on is a Shimano HG-31 8sp 11-32T cassette, so can i just put anything on as long as its 8spd ?? the cheaper the better :oops:
or just the correct wording for me to post an ad in the wanted section
any help would be very welcomed.

PommieYeti
Last edited by PommieYeti on Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Wifes blog http://kiristraveltales.wordpress.com/2 ... a-new-car/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

toolonglegs

Re: Lets try rollers....I need a spare rear wheel PERTH

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:07 am

Rollers shouldn't damage your tires, well not like a lot of mag trainers can anyway. Just pump your tire up hard and go for it.

SquareWheels

Postby SquareWheels » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:09 pm

my rollers just make my tire shiny (aluminum rollers), haven't seen any wear at all on them.
I got hit by a car that failed to give way once - it really hurt

PommieYeti

Postby PommieYeti » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:01 pm

I just got my bike back from its free anaconda service check, and pumped up the rear to about 80psi (tyre says max 85psi) and it looks and sounds slightly better i think with a nice smooth skinny rear tyre it would be almost noiseless, if I can find a old wheel with cassette on ill use it if not this will be ok for now

ps anyone know if its a big job/expensive to change my bars and levers to road racing type making it almost a cyclocross bike ?

PommieYeti
My Wifes blog http://kiristraveltales.wordpress.com/2 ... a-new-car/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:58 pm

PommieYeti wrote:ps anyone know if its a big job/expensive to change my bars and levers to road racing type making it almost a cyclocross bike ?
Covered elsewhere on these forums if you search with keywords like "flat bar drop bar conversion".

But to answer your question in short form; from my impression of your budgeted spending; it's probably not worth it for this Anaconda bike. You would've been better off buying cheaper entry level, drop bar bike.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

PommieYeti

Postby PommieYeti » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:04 pm

Thats what i intend to do in the near future(get a entry level road bike) but just wondered if i could go down this route in the meantime. oh well you live and learn,
cheers anyway

PommieYeti