How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

lobstermash

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby lobstermash » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:32 am

Glad to be working from home today... Moved to a new office yesterday that more than doubled my commute to 20km each way. After the weekend's riding I really struggled for the last 10km yesterday! I need to get fitter if I want to keep riding on weekends...

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:58 am

jasonc wrote:agree it's going to be hard to prove.
well it's only a tail-light - will take the cost if required.
just happy that no-one is seriously injured
a bugger about the bike though
that sucks jase.

for civil claims, a court will apportion damages to each party. if you (and the other members of the group) have the greatest damages, you've got the least to lose from putting in a claim. given that the driver seems to have been negligent, i'd be pursuing that. it's better to get in first too i reckon. (this is all unqualified advice)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:16 pm

just had a call from the cops. they'll be contacting me for a statement

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:55 pm

snortin wrote:
goneriding wrote:I saw a fellow commuter go down pretty hard this morning ...
I was one of the people who stopped....

Karma wasn't with me though because coming the opposite way last night I got to the 90 degree turn (just after the place where the accident occurred in the morning) and had someone drift across into me (I could see they were eyeing the right turn just after the corner). They were just over the white line and heading further onto the "wrong" side of the shared path. As I was turning I was leaning slightly towards him which didn't help.

Had nowhere to go, hit him with my right shoulder and managed to keep the bike upright. Absorbed the hit and unclipped while heading toward the fence on the left. Stopped with my hand resting on the fence to hold me up.

I was pretty annoyed that he was drifting across at the blind part of the corner just because he wanted to turn right - and I snapped at him when he asked if I was OK. Think I said something like "make sure you stay left even if you are going to turn right mate". Lucky I was only going around 15km/hr. Lady behind me (I had rolled past her on the downhill) asked if I was OK. Thankfully everyone was OK. And even better my "good" bike was untouched.....

I really hate that corner, still remember coming off my bike in the first week of riding through there when the front wheel touched the (slightly wet) painted white line.
That corner is a real PITA. People don't seem to use their brain at all. Blind corner, 3 points of entry, pedestrians and still people try an overtake! My attitude is that I'm going to work so I'd rather put that horror off for as long as possible. In the second instance I'm heading home and would rather get there in one piece. Some people don't seem to understand that.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:09 pm

jasonc wrote:we had a crash on the corso this morning. pace line. van overtook us, then put it's indicator on and stopped. first 2 guys got around the van - 1 left and 1 right (eeek!). I hit it sideways - was able to wipe off a bit of speed and only have 1 scratch. 1 guys bike is a right-off - snapped at the headset clean in two. the third guy we had to call the ambo for but was ok.

so we ran into the back of him. is it our fault?

It sounds like everyone was OK. That's a relief. Sucks about the written off bike though. Hope your mate had his bike insured. I know I'll have both my bikes insured before I get back riding.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:56 pm

Lovely run in, perfect weather and time up the sleeve towards the end so I explored the back streets and cobbled lanes of the Flemington/Kensington area. A shame it had to end at work :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:59 pm

I top off the day with a puncture on the commute home - first on a marathon plus

*sigh*

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:39 pm

jasonc wrote:I top off the day with a puncture on the commute home - first on a marathon plus

*sigh*
Hey - it wasn't all bad on your commute home was it ???

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:01 pm

Rhubarb wrote:
jasonc wrote:I top off the day with a puncture on the commute home - first on a marathon plus

*sigh*
Hey - it wasn't all bad on your commute home was it ???
you're too bloody low down to wheel suck. :mrgreen:

the sunset was magnificent
and i appreciated the company too

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:19 am

Glorious weather in Melbourne and the spring cyclists are certainly out. The bike traffic on StKilda Rd is amazing. At this time of year I just think of it as the peleton. Good to see more out and about on bikes.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:11 am

First day over 20c in about 4 months. Rode the tt bike in for night shift. Only good part of the whole shift.
Whoosh 5 kmh quicker than the commuter overall. Probably 8 or 9 on the flat and downhill and about 2 on the uphill.
Was a great change up and will do it more often as the weather warms.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:33 am

I actually had a wind behind me ( not a tailwind :mrgreen: ) on the commute home yesterday for the first time in over two weeks...boy did it feel nice.

my commutes have been pretty boring really, nothing exciting or dangerous happening to me...and I hope it stays that way.

Weather is just magnificent however....slowly winter is receding...the lilly white legs need a bit of sunshine

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:01 am

gretaboy wrote:I actually had a wind behind me ( not a tailwind :mrgreen: ) on the commute home yesterday for the first time in over two weeks...boy did it feel nice.
Haha, I'm waaayyyyy behind you at this stage......

Lovely afternoon in Melbourne yesterday, and the peds that had been hibernating through the winter seemed to venture forth onto the paths in a particularly dozy state....
Lots of mutts walking their owners too.
On my way into the Melbourne CBD, I encountered a taxi in the bike lane on Albert St - he had pulled in between the poles - for no apparent reason. The parking bays alongside the park were totally empty as this was just after 5am, so his action defied all logic. I did mention that through his open window as I passed, but just got a blank stare in return. Moron.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

alkhoo

Postby alkhoo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:49 am

This week's commutes has been great. No issues whatsoever - hope it remains that way. I'm starting to see a lot more idiots riding without helmets in the Docklands/CBD area.

Yesterday's V/Line train back home was chockers with bikes! At least a dozen bikes between two carriages. The latecomers had to stand and hold their bikes. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

backofthebunch

Postby backofthebunch » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:53 am

I must be one of those idiots who start cycling in spring!!!
mostly due to end of my footy season and more energy in the mornings though...

great weather for it in Melbourne this week.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:30 am

Sounds like an eventful day....hope you've used up your bad luck for the year!
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:38 am

First morning commute with only a single layer on top in months.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:42 am

TailWind wrote:On my way into the Melbourne CBD, I encountered a taxi in the bike lane on Albert St - he had pulled in between the poles - for no apparent reason. The parking bays alongside the park were totally empty as this was just after 5am, so his action defied all logic. I did mention that through his open window as I passed, but just got a blank stare in return. Moron.
Ahhh, a usually weekly occurrence along there from my experience - either a taxi or a car dropping off passengers parks BETWEEN the bollards and not in the designated parking bays. :roll: I sent a complaint to the Melbourne City Council about the spacing of the bollards not being sufficiently close together to deter this... And didn't receive any reply. Very considerate of them. Not.

I felt fantastic on the way home last night - felt like I was flying along and everything was communicating. Someone finally returned my Monday legs to me just a couple of days late. :P

Also felt good this morning on the ride in - hello Spring!

warthog1

How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby warthog1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:49 pm

gretaboy wrote:....slowly winter is receding...the lilly white legs need a bit of sunshine
+1 :lol:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:00 pm

Awesome morning for it this morning. Single layer, but still had the sleeves on. After being cooped up in a training course for two days it was great to get back to the commute. Touch wood, the Melbourne weather holds up for this afternoon's return journey

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:43 pm

This getting up a half hour earlier than needed for work is sweet!

Mount road from Moonee Ponds Junction to the ribcage was a blast
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:56 pm

Mulger bill wrote:This getting up a half hour earlier than needed for work is sweet!

Mount road from Moonee Ponds Junction to the ribcage was a blast
shaun - do you ride all the way in to the city from sunbury? that's a hike and a half. roads would be questionable too

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:03 pm

Nope, the freeway scares the bejeebers outta me, one too many brown trouser moments when I did.

Train to Sydenham or wherever the available time gets me and roll on. Today started in Sunshine then Avondale Heights and Ascot Vale.
The extra time lets me explore rather than having to take the direct route, still get there about the same time 8)
London Boy 29/12/2011

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:32 pm

Funny how you can go ages with no idiots then 2 in one trip - doing 30km/h when a 4wd cuts across me then tries to add a right hook for good measure.

Then almost home 4.3m wide shared path, clear centre line, tough guy running on the wrong side, tried sticking his elbow out - into a 95kg former front rower. That must have stung :roll:
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:37 am

find_bruce wrote:Funny how you can go ages with no idiots then 2 in one trip - doing 30km/h when a 4wd cuts across me then tries to add a right hook for good measure.

Then almost home 4.3m wide shared path, clear centre line, tough guy running on the wrong side, tried sticking his elbow out - into a 95kg former front rower. That must have stung :roll:
was contact made?