Viscount bikes

Bendo

Re: Viscount bikes

Postby Bendo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:24 pm

No kidding they're deep! I'd prefer something shallower, but I had these lying around. They're Cinelli Campione del Mondo bars. The limiting factor is the Viscount stem, which I want to use, but most lbs's have little range in silver-finish, alloy drops with 25.4 clamp diameter.

But hey! I'm super aero when I use the drops...

b

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:56 am

My Sebring is getting very close to completion now, paint and decals all done, Tourney centrepulls polished and mounted, new headset, 600 Arabesque shifters and derailleurs, new BB and the SR Apex cranks cleaned up. Just need to clean up the bars, get some new brake levers and rebuild the wheels. Probably going to use a SunTour freewheel rather than the original Shimano one.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:29 pm

ldrcycles wrote:My Sebring is getting very close to completion now, paint and decals all done, Tourney centrepulls polished and mounted, new headset, 600 Arabesque shifters and derailleurs, new BB and the SR Apex cranks cleaned up. Just need to clean up the bars, get some new brake levers and rebuild the wheels. Probably going to use a SunTour freewheel rather than the original Shimano one.
Who made the sebring decals up for you, and any chance of a pic :D I have. 2 sebrings waiting for some love...
When in doubt......mumble.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:46 pm

I just got a Viscount set from H Lloyd Cycles in the UK, they didn't have the Sebring decal that goes on the top tube, and the one that was on it was too damaged to just take a photo and get it made. I mean it's lugged and has a threaded BB so everyone will know it's a Sebring anyway :) .

No pics yet, waiting for a chance to photograph it in daylight :) .

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu May 16, 2013 6:06 pm

Finally some pics of my Sebring. Still some way off completion, needs bar tape, appropriate crank bolts and wheelset, and the Sebring decals for the top tube (a forum member very generously gave me a set, so once I've been able to scan them for others they'll go on the bike).

Oh and I know the rear brake cable is on the wrong side of the seatpost, i'll sort that out :) .

Bendo

Postby Bendo » Sun May 19, 2013 4:52 pm

Nice work! Even with temp stuff it's looking good. Once it has silver rims and the right number of spokes it'll look even better! ;) Those Tourney centre-pulls seem to have no trouble reaching the smaller 700c wheels. Will you be giving her 27" or 700c in the end?

b

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun May 19, 2013 9:57 pm

27" for sure, the one true wheel size! :)
I have both the original wheelset (with rusty spokes) and a set of identical rims and hubs which I have polished and will be lacing up in due course. Just got no money atm :( .

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:16 pm

Not super sure what model of Viscount this is - there are no braze-ons for guards and it's fillet brazed with no lugs so I'm guessing it's not a Sebring.

The death fork doesn't quite look as intimidating as it's reputation (this one looks like a late version, so I assume safer). Most of the decals are gone and all of the original group is gone aside from the headset and the pressed fit bottom bracket. Somebody has tried to rebuild it with some suntour parts off a later bike by the looks of things.

Not really sure what to do with it. Wall art?
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:31 pm

drubie wrote: Wall art?
drubie made a funny :) .

Surely it would be the same as any bike, if it's about your size, build it up and ride it, if not sell it to buy more bikes :) .

Update on my Sebring, I started my first attempt at lacing the front wheel tonight using spokes I took out of some 700C Quando wheels (low flange hubs so the spoke length was at least similar) but it doesn't appear to be working, maybe the nipples off the Quando wheels aren't as long as on the original wheels. I'll need to just keep plugging away at it.

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:29 am

I'm serious about hanging the frame on the wall, although I will strip it first so you can see the brazing.

Dunno about your spokes though.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:41 pm

Yea i'm a bit less optimistic about it today but i'll still try, the nipple from the Quando wheels and the originals are the same length, so no magic bullet there.
If all else fails i'll just sandblast the original spokes and paint them with chrome paint.

servicimo

Postby servicimo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:57 pm

Have you got the intersections right? 4x or 3x?
one nice bike.....

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:54 pm

I've been attempting to lace up the new one 3x, simply because that's what the youtube video shows, but on checking the originals they're 4x.

Which has me a bit confused. The original wheels are high flange hubs on box section 630mm rims, 4x with 305mm long spokes. The spokes i'm trying to use average around 303mm, but i'm trying to lace them 3x on the same rim/hub combination :? .

On doing some more googling, I think i'll have a crack at lacing it 2x (this is the front wheel I've started on) and just see how that goes. Can't hurt to give it a try. It's not like i'm radial lacing the rear :lol: .

servicimo

Postby servicimo » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:24 am

I cant remember for the life of me what the length of the nipples were on those wheels. It is possible they were 16mm which woud make a hell of a difference if you are using 12mm ones now.
one nice bike.....

Bendo

Postby Bendo » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:02 pm

drubie wrote:Image
Not super sure what model of Viscount this is - there are no braze-ons for guards and it's fillet brazed with no lugs so I'm guessing it's not a Sebring.

The death fork doesn't quite look as intimidating as it's reputation (this one looks like a late version, so I assume safer). Most of the decals are gone and all of the original group is gone aside from the headset and the pressed fit bottom bracket. Somebody has tried to rebuild it with some suntour parts off a later bike by the looks of things.

Not really sure what to do with it. Wall art?
I'm guessing it is/was an Aerospace Pro. If the frame is sound, it would be well worth a proper resto. IMHO and all that. b

jools

Postby jools » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:18 pm

just noticed a viscount on ebay on sydney's northern beaches. Not sure what model but it looks complete.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:26 am

FINALLY got the Sebring finished (well still not quite 100%, needs the Sebring decal on the top tube, gumwall tyres and the wheels aren't perfectly trued) and my brother rode it in the Noosa Strade Bianche on Sunday, 125kms without any hassles at all :D .

Before

And after

Bendo

Postby Bendo » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:13 pm

Nice job there. The HF hubs look great. You know gumwall tyres make your bike go faster though, don't you? b :D

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:35 pm

Bendo wrote:Nice job there. The HF hubs look great. You know gumwall tyres make your bike go faster though, don't you? b :D
Too right! That's why she's getting gumwalls asap, those black things are ugly :)

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:23 pm

My mate who I haven't seen for ages has/had a Viscount Sebring in his garage, same colour as the one above. He hasn't ridden it in 20 years. He bought it new, or rather his parents did.I should chase him up and see if he still has it and see if he will sell it to me. Problem is he knows I'm into bikes and if he knows I'm interested in it he will think it's some super valuable bike worth thousands. What would a fair price be to pay for a complete VS that is basically sound but probably needs tyres, chain, cassette, brake pads and maybe bar tape?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:04 pm

I'll steal munga's line an say 50-150 :) . There's nothing all that special about them apart from the brand, I would offer $100 if I was feeling generous, the frame was in REALLY good nick and the spokes weren't rusty (even at 30c each for the ones I got it isn't that cheap to do a respoke).

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Well, here's an Aerospace i picked up recently with the aluminium fork. A little too big for me at 61cm c-c, but i like it. Got her for the black dura ace mostly, which i'd love to put on an orange 70s Merckx or Koga Miyata one day - love that orange and black look. I'll rebuild the wheels and have a full 600 arabesque groupset that i'll throw on instead i think. The brazing on it really is fantastic.

Bendo

Postby Bendo » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:07 pm

Part that bike out and you will go to cycling resto hell.:twisted: Rarest Viscount Aerospace in the world that. End of story.

Am I jealous? Nah...

...like hell I ain't! b

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:10 am

Ok I wasnt going to part it out. All bits would be staying in my mits, but the more I look, the more I cant find any others like it and think i should keep it original :D

Bendo

Postby Bendo » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:51 am

Phew! Disaster averted! :D b