Wearing an online shop kit on group ride?

rebilda

Re: Wearing an online shop kit on group ride?

Postby rebilda » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:45 pm

These "dilemmas", which I didn't know even existed until I looked (ever so briefly) at the possibility of riding with a local Cycling club, on training runs, is the prime reason I have never pursued with the idea of joining a club or "shop" riding group.
Honestly!! If I have to be so careful in what I choose to throw on in the morning (pre-ride), so as not to offend anyone, then I simply am not interested. Not to mention the crap that goes on in the bunch rides.

Cycling for me is for fun & fitness - not regiment and control.

Sometimes I really think MTB'ing is the go - I love road riding, but with a couple of friends of similar capability. Cycling is a great sport, but Gee there are some W@#&ers out on the roads.
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:33 pm

To be fair the human race has its fair share of w*nkersin every field....I'd dispute whether road cycling has more of them than anything else.

Snobs...Yes. W*nkers no :mrgreen::twisted:

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:58 pm

rebilda wrote:These "dilemmas", which I didn't know even existed until I looked (ever so briefly) at the possibility of riding with a local Cycling club, on training runs, is the prime reason I have never pursued with the idea of joining a club or "shop" riding group.
Honestly!! If I have to be so careful in what I choose to throw on in the morning (pre-ride), so as not to offend anyone, then I simply am not interested. Not to mention the crap that goes on in the bunch rides.

Sometimes I really think MTB'ing is the go - I love road riding, but with a couple of friends of similar capability. Cycling is a great sport, but Gee there are some W@#&ers out on the roads.
From your closing sentence - are you really any better than those you've criticised with that inappropriate term? Can't we all just get along and not call each other silly names?

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:33 am

arkle wrote:I have never understood the obsession with paying laughably inflated prices for clothing emblazoned with a brand name. You are basically paying a company a heap of money for the privilege of advertising the company! What a joke it is! They must be laughing their socks off. If any company wants me to wear clothing with their emblem on it and become their walking/riding advert they are going to have to pay ME.
No different really to having a uniform at work. Can you imagine if you worked at say QANTAS turning up for work in a Virgin outfit. I doubt if the LBS' are making very much money from the kits they sell, they would most likely just be getting a small run of them done, probably in Australia and paying more than what we can buy pro team kit for off Wiggle etc. If you object to LBS' ripping you off so much then don't shop there, don't buy their kit and don't go on their rides.
arkle wrote:Same goes for glossy magazines - 75% of the magazines are always adverts! So the advertisers pay the magazines to print and distribute their adverts, and the readers pay the magazines for the privilege of reading the adverts. It's a con!

arkle
No one is forcing you to buy the magazine, you can leave it on the shelf at the newsagent or you can see if the library has it avaulable for loan. The advertisments can be somewhat interesting, informing you of upcoming events that you might be interested in like Gong Ride or Fitz's Challenge and also info about suppliers/retailers of bikes and cycling relalated products. No one forcing you to read ads about say Giant when you like Scott, you can just turn the page.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:40 am

I would get over the ads in mags. Marketing lecturer managed to clear it all up (and I don't recall buying a magazine since) - consumers buy the mag for the ads, as well as the other content. They MUST, because Cleo etc IS 50% advertising. I would get over the tension about the kit. As I said before, if you ride enough you will have a couple kits. I wouldn't mind having a Trek team kit because I dig Voight and Canchellara's style. I wouldn't be caught dead in a Team Sky kit - but I've ridden with a pom who had one. In the middle of last year's bloody TdF LOL but he knew it was a deliberate dig and we all had a laugh about it. Kit does say something about you, like all clothing. If you want to get really worked up over it, you are segmenting yourself as a "IDGAF" type which has its own pitfalls.

I agree with g-boaf. Just try to get along with people. Ultimately, people would prefer you are riding with pants on for modesty and keep it at that.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:05 am

arkle wrote:I have never understood the obsession with paying laughably inflated prices for clothing emblazoned with a brand name. You are basically paying a company a heap of money for the privilege of advertising the company! What a joke it is! They must be laughing their socks off. If any company wants me to wear clothing with their emblem on it and become their walking/riding advert they are going to have to pay ME.

Same goes for glossy magazines - 75% of the magazines are always adverts! So the advertisers pay the magazines to print and distribute their adverts, and the readers pay the magazines for the privilege of reading the adverts. It's a con!

arkle

Remind me to never ask for your opinion about the trading post then.... :!:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:10 am

g-boaf wrote:
rebilda wrote:These "dilemmas", which I didn't know even existed until I looked (ever so briefly) at the possibility of riding with a local Cycling club, on training runs, is the prime reason I have never pursued with the idea of joining a club or "shop" riding group.

From your closing sentence - are you really any better than those you've criticised with that inappropriate term? Can't we all just get along and not call each other silly names?
I am not trying tar everyone with the same brush, in an us & them menatlity - meerly venting my frustration with a minority of "extremist militants" on the road.
The majority of riders out there are (I like to believe) a pretty decent bunch, whom I really enjoy riding with. Unfortunately, when you put a few elite riders in matching uniform, and see the change in personality. This is typical in a vast number of life pursuits.
If there are any Friendly group rides happening in the southern suburbs of Sydney, I'd like to know about them.
I have been caught up in bunch rides both in Southern Syd and also in Melb along Beach road. While some are happy to just let you slot in (going at the same pace anyway) some groups are a bit toxic to be with, and frankly, I prefer to drop off on purpose and ride alone.

No offence to you personally, g-boaf, I do get my back up occasionally, and hence my vent on the situation.
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:45 am

Come on the M7 from Saturday from Prestons at 11:00am, usually me and a couple of others are on there.

Otherwise - try the Tuesday night 6:15pm from Sunnyholt Road. A great bunch of fast riders. Great for high speed punishment. :oops: :lol:

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:46 am

rebilda wrote:Unfortunately, when you put a few elite riders in matching uniform, and see the change in personality.
Are you sure you have been going along to suitable/the correct type of ride/s?

The only times I am ever on a ride with "elite" (which I am defining as A and B grade) I totally expect to get dropped. I don't expect any conversation (really, I'll be a little disappointed if I am able to actually formulate sentences correctly because I am there to get a workout and push myself, and it's too early in the morning). I fully expect people to overtake aggressively on climbs etc. IOW, not a social ride, it is a training ride. I went for a ride this morning with ~20 people. I could possible point out a few people by name (because of Strava), but do not know them, because it is a training ride and everyone is going to work straight afterwards.

However, the rides labelled as "social" by the same local cycling club (of which I am not a member and do not own/wear their kit, just have some friends which ride with them - I really should investigate how to have dual club CA membership due to Audax membership) are, well, social and have a different vibe, wait for people at the top of climbs, cruise at the slowest riders speed in between proper climbs/descents, most people will have coffee and a chat afterwards etc. This is a social ride, not a training ride.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:59 pm

simonn wrote:
rebilda wrote:Unfortunately, when you put a few elite riders in matching uniform, and see the change in personality.
Are you sure you have been going along to suitable/the correct type of ride/s?

The only times I am ever on a ride with "elite" (which I am defining as A and B grade) I totally expect to get dropped. I don't expect any conversation (really, I'll be a little disappointed if I am able to actually formulate sentences correctly because I am there to get a workout and push myself, and it's too early in the morning). I fully expect people to overtake aggressively on climbs etc. IOW, not a social ride, it is a training ride. I went for a ride this morning with ~20 people. I could possible point out a few people by name (because of Strava), but do not know them, because it is a training ride and everyone is going to work straight afterwards.

However, the rides labelled as "social" by the same local cycling club (of which I am not a member and do not own/wear their kit, just have some friends which ride with them - I really should investigate how to have dual club CA membership due to Audax membership) are, well, social and have a different vibe, wait for people at the top of climbs, cruise at the slowest riders speed in between proper climbs/descents, most people will have coffee and a chat afterwards etc. This is a social ride, not a training ride.
I've found some of those really quick riders to be the ones who are likely to say hello - have a chat at the end, etc. :) Even though I'm not in their level of speed (usually top 100 or 200 on some of the segments). Some of the slower riders out for a morning ride are the ones that sometimes just look at you scornfully for daring to be so bold as to say hello. :( Don't know why. Maybe I look like an "elite" rider or because I'm passing them, they resent that? :roll:

Had one person on a TT bike going really quickly make a point to say hello as he went past going the other direction on the M7. I mention that as an alternative to the general trends.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:33 pm

The ride from what you have said is a generic group ride not a ride tied to a specific shop.If that is the case wear your kit. If its a shop ride feel them out, I used to do a shop ride in rival shops kit it used to annoy the hell out of the owner but my mates ride there:)

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:39 pm

g-boaf wrote: I've found some of those really quick riders to be the ones who are likely to say hello - have a chat at the end, etc. :) Even though I'm not in their level of speed (usually top 100 or 200 on some of the segments). Some of the slower riders out for a morning ride are the ones that sometimes just look at you scornfully for daring to be so bold as to say hello. :( Don't know why. Maybe I look like an "elite" rider or because I'm passing them, they resent that? :roll:

Had one person on a TT bike going really quickly make a point to say hello as he went past going the other direction on the M7. I mention that as an alternative to the general trends.
Consideration of your kit might be on their mind ;) You look pretty sharp out there 8) Worth remembering as well that if you have the breath to chat, they might be suffering badly and think you're a smarty britches. I don't antagonise deliberately, but it happens. Also worth noting that some ride to get the demons out of their head (not that I know anything about that :roll: ) so a polite hello might be out of their grasp. I've had an incredibly spiteful bloke next to me with my son in the babyseat, I didn't even realise he was being rude for 300 metres; I just dropped him like a sack of potatoes. If people don't want to be friendly, the best revenge is living well, as they say. :mrgreen:

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:37 pm

g-boaf wrote: I've found some of those really quick riders to be the ones who are likely to say hello - have a chat at the end, etc. :)
Oh, I'm sure of it. However, I've been dropped long before this and heading home so I can look after my son so my wife can go to yoga :) or something similar. I suppose what I really mean is that on a training ride, people are there to train not to be all social and nice and stuff.

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:14 pm

g-boaf wrote:Come on the M7 from Saturday from Prestons at 11:00am, usually me and a couple of others are on there.

Otherwise - try the Tuesday night 6:15pm from Sunnyholt Road. A great bunch of fast riders. Great for high speed punishment. :oops: :lol:

Mmmmm.......I've never ridden on the M7 (drive on it every other day).

Do you ride on the road or the bike path?

I was also wondering if there is access from the M5, onto the bike path. Using the road is a bit more straight forward but I never see many guys on the road - mainly on the path.

munga

Postby munga » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:10 pm

rebilda wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
rebilda wrote: If there are any Friendly group rides happening in the southern suburbs of Sydney, I'd like to know about them.
buy a retro bike. no attitude, someone there can always outride you if that's your thing, plenty of chat. social rides, rather than training rides.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:21 pm

You're onto something there, munga. Riding something a little unusual seems to draw positive attention. I used to get a lot of it on my old Spokesman, and still get plenty of comments on my SS, which is just black with yellow tyres. I don't get as much attention on my Reid Falco, but occasionally I get very serious looking types ask me what it's like.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:49 am

simonn wrote: However, the rides labelled as "social" by the same local cycling club (of which I am not a member and do not own/wear their kit, just have some friends which ride with them - I really should investigate how to have dual club CA membership due to Audax membership) are, well, social and have a different vibe, wait for people at the top of climbs, cruise at the slowest riders speed in between proper climbs/descents, most people will have coffee and a chat afterwards etc.
I'm not super-familiar with the intricacies of CA, but at least with MTBA, which is affiliated, there are several options to cover racing or recreational membership, as well as supplemental memberships for crossing disciplines so you're not up for the full whack twice. Have a chat to the club registrar, there should be a way to sort it out.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:04 pm

munga wrote: buy a retro bike. no attitude, someone there can always outride you if that's your thing, plenty of chat. social rides, rather than training rides.

Oh, I have a nice Retro ride......for Sunny Sundays.

Might have to get it out & organize an "old School, Steel ride" or something?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:27 pm

Marty Moose wrote:The ride from what you have said is a generic group ride not a ride tied to a specific shop.If that is the case wear your kit. If its a shop ride feel them out, I used to do a shop ride in rival shops kit it used to annoy the hell out of the owner but my mates ride there:)
It depends a lot on how well you know the group you're riding with. If it is a shop ride, and you're new to the group, it can get up a few noses if you rock up wearing the kit of any competitor to that shop, online or local, so in that case you're best to start with something fairly neutral. That said, you're unlikely to be thrown out of the group. If it's just a general bunch ride, wear whatever you like (as long as it's decent).

On the other side, if you know a group quite well, you can get away with almost anything. For example, some members of the MTB club I'm in organised a regular ride from a local shop. I happen to work in another local shop, so I'd front up in the kit from my shop. The other guys didn't give a hoot, 'cos they know full well what the situation is. In the end, we're all out there for the same thing and it's pretty shallow to cast aspersions on anyone because of what kit they wear.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

jlh

Postby jlh » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:31 pm

So, OP, what did you wear and what happened?

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:10 pm

Xplora wrote: If you only have one kit you need to start riding more. I think having crappy kit is a sign you are doing the kms. Make sure it's worn out. blah... blah... blah...
Just remember that you have to pull some brutal serious turns when you have the poor mans kit on. Prove their kit is simply a pose. Make them suffer blah... blah... blah...
if you ride enough you will have a couple kits. blah... blah... blah...
I wouldn't be caught dead in a Team Sky kit - blah... blah... blah...
Kit does say something about you, like all clothing. If you want to get really worked up over it, you are segmenting yourself as a "IDGAF" type which has its own pitfalls.
Is it okay to where a skinsuit, booties and an aero helmet to a group ride?

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:04 pm

jasonlheath wrote:So, OP, what did you wear and what happened?
I think it is quite evident that he wore the wrong kit and got bumped off. He hasn't come back since the first post.
Just highlights the dangers of wearing the wrong kit. :twisted:

(The only "kit" I own are two jerseys I got for free. I ride most days now.)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:06 pm

ft_critical wrote:Is it okay to where a skinsuit, booties and an aero helmet to a group ride?
If you have to ask, you'll never know...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:36 pm

I've seen it on Saturday mornings on M7. Aero speedsuit, aero helmet etc.

If people are wearing those, they'd better be quick. ;)

So, when do you start racing Xplora?

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:15 pm

Just wear whatever you like, life is far simpler when you cease to care about what others think of you on a personal level.

This is in the same ballpark of those who like to criticise your average Joe for having a high end bike. If someone wants a top end bike and they can afford it, good on them.

What's next? If you didn't buy your bike from the shop whose ride it is, you can't ride?

Personally, I like to have matching kit (inc socks), shaved legs and white cycling shoes with a bit of sunscreen to make the legs SHINE!!!

Did I mention I am 13kgs overweight(probably more)

EDIT: Oh I forgot, my bottom bracket creaks, is this okay?