Cycle awareness video from Scotland

gavinr

Cycle awareness video from Scotland

Postby gavinr » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:54 am

Bizarre is the only word I can think of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vILpPh5ZmV4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Summernight

Re: Cycle awareness video from Scotland

Postby Summernight » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:22 am

I think it makes more sense in the context of Scotland drivers having a lot more contact with horses being on the road than we experience here.

Scottish drivers are possibly already used to horses being unpredictable and going in random directions so the leap to doing the same with cyclists may not be that much of a stretch.

I liked it. :)

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:46 pm

I like it, it's a more relaxed and informal way of getting the message through. Also I like these videos when you can get a laugh out of them (especially the guy doing the jump).

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:09 pm

Cool, I stuck a thumbs up in. Easier to engage someone when they're relaxed and gigling.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:26 am

Great ad!
A shame we can't do something equally interesting, amusing and memorable here.... Hope the AGF have seen it!
Andrew

Marx

Postby Marx » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:45 am

if an Australian suburbanite came across a horse on the road, they'll whip out their phone and Instagram it. ...which, of course would mean they wont be concentrating on the road ahead of them & probably run over a bike rider...
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:11 am

Marx wrote:if an Australian suburbanite came across a horse on the road, they'll whip out their phone and Instagram it. ...which, of course would mean they wont be concentrating on the road ahead of them & probably run over a bike rider...
Exactly. And in my experience riding the ponies on the road, if you are closer to a city/built up area in Australia (or maybe just Victoria) the drivers are less likely to slow down on small roads as they don't realise that horses can be unpredictable. No-one nowadays in the cars or trucks I meet that are approaching at a speed I think is too fast for passing my horse seem to understand the hand signals for slow down. :|

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:32 am

love it!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:30 pm

Another thumbs-up from me ... great advert.

Andrew

DavieB

Postby DavieB » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:54 pm

Being from Scotland I have to say I never saw that many horses on the road, but I was never taught to give horses space, or be cautious around them. It's just natural to give an animal more space on the road they are prone to spooking.

As for cyclists and drivers here in Australia (SA) I find attitudes are shocking here. Adverts are not going to change attitudes. If I indicate to shift lanes in the car other drivers will increase speed to stop me getting in. I'd have been flashed by another driver to offer me the lane in the past. This may just be SA though I can't comment on other states.

No patience and no courtesy make for very poor drivers and unsafe roads. (Standards are poor too) Not saying Scotland's drivers are perfect but there is generally more courtesy and more space given to cyclists than here. I'd never had horns blared at me until I moved here either. Far to many recreational bike riders think they're on the tour too, this antagonises drivers who are already D$&(AT)-.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:03 pm

Pretty common story right around Australia.

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:38 am

DavieB wrote:Being from Scotland I have to say I never saw that many horses on the road, but I was never taught to give horses space, or be cautious around them. It's just natural to give an animal more space on the road they are prone to spooking.

As for cyclists and drivers here in Australia (SA) I find attitudes are shocking here. Adverts are not going to change attitudes. If I indicate to shift lanes in the car other drivers will increase speed to stop me getting in. I'd have been flashed by another driver to offer me the lane in the past. This may just be SA though I can't comment on other states.

No patience and no courtesy make for very poor drivers and unsafe roads. (Standards are poor too) Not saying Scotland's drivers are perfect but there is generally more courtesy and more space given to cyclists than here. I'd never had horns blared at me until I moved here either. Far to many recreational bike riders think they're on the tour too, this antagonises drivers who are already D$&(AT)-.
Dunno about where ur from, but road rage occurs very often here too

Lower social areas.

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:55 pm

Seems not everyone liked it, and it won't be shown again:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-25926572" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:49 am

Fantastic ad, need more like it. Very disappointing that the Ad Bureau actually listened to the ignorant fools who said the cyclist "should have been next to the kerb" :roll: .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:40 am

Tens of thousands no doubt watched it and it gets pulled on the basis of FIVE complaints? Or more likely one complaint and four sockpuppets representing one sour old woman who has never ridden and thinks this gives her the Fred given right to dictate how others go about their business.

Neeeeext on sick, sad woooorld...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:29 am

There's a great analysis of what the decision to ban the advert subconciosuly tells people here:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... and-helmet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As ever, the message seems to be that the onus is on cyclists to protect themselves from danger on the roads, and that any injuries that befall them are their own fault.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:11 pm

The ban is now under review ...
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) objected on "health and safety" grounds but has now withdrawn its "potentially flawed" ruling while an independent review takes place.
Source: BBC News Scotland

Andrew

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:29 pm

What a bunch of wallies

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:21 am

As I said somewhere else previously, its a bit sad that "see cyclist, think fellow human being" doesn't cut it. :-(

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:28 pm

Aushiker wrote:The ban is now under review ...
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) objected on "health and safety" grounds but has now withdrawn its "potentially flawed" ruling while an independent review takes place.
Source: BBC News Scotland

Andrew
It seems that the ban has now been formally reversed and the complaints dismissed.

Source: http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home ... n.24579615" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:40 pm

Rhubarb wrote:As I said somewhere else previously, its a bit sad that "see cyclist, think fellow human being" doesn't cut it. :-(
Excellent reflection.

Andrew